Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why kill the Hardball and then come out with the Indian Springfield ?
Both hard bag no fairing cruisers. I dont think they gave the Hardball a fair shot. I will say I have gone and checked out the Springfield and I did find myself wanting one. but I can say the same for the Hardball. just tossing this out there.

·
Registered
12,330 Posts
Victory, as we have known it is going away to morph into performance cruisers. The Octane is the camel's nose under the tent.

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
The cross roads just plain ol' did not sale well and that is why Polaris dropped it. That was good for me when I was buying because the XR is what I wanted and back in 2012 the XC's were moving fairly well but the XR's were collecting dust. I see the same thing happening with the Indians. I have seen a bunch of the chieftains running around my neck of the woods (seen two yesterday) but not the first fairing-less Indian. Bikes without a fairing just are not cool, that is why I also see more HD street glides running around than road kings and such. Indian sales of the springfield may do better than the XR because of the name on the tank, guess we will see.

·
Premium Member
8,997 Posts
Seems us 'wind in the face' bikers are becoming extinct.

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
My simple dream is to have my XC AND a steel framed bike IE; Gunner , Hammer , Vegas , or 2013 model Judge . That way I can have the wind in my hair when needed !

·
Registered
180 Posts
Seems us 'wind in the face' bikers are becoming extinct.
No, we're just getting older. Years ago, I would NEVER be caught riding behind a windscreen, thought that was just for old people. Now I won't ride without wind protection. I still like the wind in my face, just not beating me to death.

·
Registered
12,330 Posts
Other than the obvious advantages of the XR's windscreen (view, easy removal, less weight) the thing that bothered me about the XC is having that goggle eyed face in the fairing constantly staring up at me. Made me nervous, so I went with the XR. :)

·
Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I like wind protection as well. I prefer the look of a fairing over a windshield though. I just couldnt help but wonder why they only gave it one year. I know they want to go in a different direction but what does that mean for the current line up ? Depending on where they go from here there could be a Springfield in my distant future .

·
Registered
483 Posts
I like wind protection as well. I prefer the look of a fairing over a windshield though. I just couldnt help but wonder why they only gave it one year. I know they want to go in a different direction but what does that mean for the current line up ? Depending on where they go from here there could be a Springfield in my distant future .

The main thing I like about a fairing [small/medium] that is. Is that it balances the color of the motorcycle, by bringing the color forward. I never did care for huge fairings though...they block too much welcomed air in hot weather, [let's face it that is the weather we're usually in] And on some motorcycles they just look odd....heavy.

On my current BMW "04" R1150R Roadster the factory touring windshield is so perfect at air management , that I color-match painted the lower section of the shield on the inside. That gave me the color up front that I like, and it looks pretty good. I could have done a better job ? But overall I'm happy with it.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Another reason I think fairingless bikes didnt sell well .... everyone you see on the road has an aftermarket fairing!!! I have a buddy who bought an XR over an XC to save money. First thing he ordered for his bike? A flipping $1000.00 fairing!

·
Registered
600 Posts
I sat on a CC tour at last years Bike Week in Daytona and just did not like the way the fairing blocked so much of my view.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
I originally put a small windshield on for the purpose of trying to keep my jacket somewhat clean in the autumn. If you were first in line it was fine but if you were riding down the highway behind a buddy and he was kicking them up you were getting splattered with a zillion grasshoppers. Even with a screen your hands are a sticky mess and you have to wash and squeegee your face shield at every gas fill. Sometimes more. Chaps too.

I put a lot of highway miles on every weekend and I found that a small screen just to keep the wind off of your chest makes a huge difference. After a few hours of constant pushing on your body you can get tensed up. No more with a shield.

I've moved and the roads here are mostly twisties with lower speeds and I haven't bothered with a shield yet. The bike came with the tall Victory shield which is too big and I just haven't got around to chopping it down to a more suitable size.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Another reason I think fairingless bikes didnt sell well .... everyone you see on the road has an aftermarket fairing!!! I have a buddy who bought an XR over an XC to save money. First thing he ordered for his bike? A flipping $1000.00 fairing!

Another reason for the fairing [phenomenon] ? is IMO stereos ? Allot of guys want the "tunes". That never appealed too me . I was offered an XC at an attractive price . The blue w/red pin-stripe version! I almost bit, because it was really sharp looking too me. But did not want to have the larger fairing & the especially did not want the stereo . I kinda wish Vic, would offer the fairing alone, [just the empty shell] that might be doable for my tastes . Even offer it as an owner add-on ??

·
Registered
12,330 Posts
Looks to me what we are proving here is the old adage; To each his own. :)

·
Registered
12,330 Posts
There's no accounting for taste, is there? In a word; grotesque. Everything that appeals to me about the Springfield, they undid.

·
Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
There's no accounting for taste, is there? In a word; grotesque. Everything that appeals to me about the Springfield, they undid.
I feel the same.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts