Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had a few weeks since the test ride to sit and think.
I really had my heart set on a Vision, but on the test ride I noticed (to me) that the front suspension seemed rather stiff and bouncy. I can think of 2 reasons for this, and would like someone with the mechanical knowhow to suggest possable fixes.

1) Vision forks are not inverted like Xct
2) Thicker fork oil used to help with added weight of the bike.

Cant do anything about the standard fork installation, but does victory offer (like Harley) a few oil weights for front forks to customize the ride? Something to soften it up to try and match the "cadillac ride" of the XCT?

I guess I could learn to like the stock ride, plus I wouldnt want to soften it up only to find it bottoms out.

I was hoping to be one of the few (but growing) who likes the vision design and wanted to ride something OUTSIDE the box of "normal"

So......any Victory mechanics on the forum to offer me some guildance with this??

·
Premium Member
4,901 Posts
Everything is a compromise....

I rode several BMWs with the telelever front end. The suspension was very compliant and plush... However road feel was non-existent and the front end was vague and felt detached. I'll take the feel over the plush ride.

Front end stiffness is more a function of the springs than the oil weight. Heavier or lighter oil will make the fork respond slower/quicker or rebound slower/quicker, but the spring is what it is. The oil doesn't make it softer or firmer, it just changes the dampening rate.

Keep in mind you were riding a brand new bike and over time the springs will soften up/sag some. And yes, of course you can change the oil to 10 wt.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Let me try this explaination......

My 05 Road Glide front end was so soft it did bottom out at times.
Stock they came with a light weight oil.

Had the shop change to thier heaviest offering and road it a month, the ride with this oil in it was much like the Visions ride.

Switched the Road Glide to Harley medium weight fork oil and problem was solved and a very comfy ride as well as what your saying, (feeling the road).

Thats what Im wishing to occomplish if possible.

Mind you Im not familier with Victory fork oil weight from factory, nor what they offer as replacement weights, but hopefully Ive givin a better understanding of what I would like to be able to do.

·
Premium Member
5,632 Posts
Everything is a compromise....

I rode several BMWs with the telelever front end. The suspension was very compliant and plush... However road feel was non-existent and the front end was vague and felt detached. I'll take the feel over the plush ride.
I've heard that complaint from many. Personally, I LOVE the lever suspension on the RTs. I don't generally ride hard enough that I have to brake into corners, partially because the suspension compressing usually throws off a nice smooth entry for me. On the Beemer, there was virtually no dive and huge ground clearance. Never have touched a peg on one even riding two up on endless switchbacks through the Alps.

If I didn't like the Vics as much as I did, an RT would have probably been my next bike. Of course, I would have needed to buy platform shoes to go with it as it is a tall booger.

I was talking with my riding buddy the other day about how much better the Vic is in cross winds. I've been in winds that felt like small hurricanes and the Vic is stable as can be. The wife and I were out in Cali on the PC highway near Big Sur on an RT and we got tossed around like ragdolls. My buddy rented a Harley and he and his wife barely noticed it. There is a lot to be said for a low COG.

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
You could always get the front and/or rear suspension reworked by Traxxion Dynamics. They are very well known in the Goldwing and Harley world for their improvements as compared to the OEM suspension. Last year Max started working with Victorys and upset a few Vision owners by promising he could improve on the Vision suspension that owners swore couldn't be any better. Needless to say after convincing a Vision owner to let him do his magic that owner is extremely happy with the improvements.

Check out the website below and if you hae any questions give Max a call and see what he has to say.

http://www.traxxion.com/cruisermetric.aspx

·
Premium Member
632 Posts
I have had a few weeks since the test ride to sit and think.
I really had my heart set on a Vision, but on the test ride I noticed (to me) that the front suspension seemed rather stiff and bouncy. I can think of 2 reasons for this, and would like someone with the mechanical knowhow to suggest possable fixes.

1) Vision forks are not inverted like Xct
2) Thicker fork oil used to help with added weight of the bike.

Cant do anything about the standard fork installation, but does victory offer (like Harley) a few oil weights for front forks to customize the ride? Something to soften it up to try and match the "cadillac ride" of the XCT?

I guess I could learn to like the stock ride, plus I wouldnt want to soften it up only to find it bottoms out.

I was hoping to be one of the few (but growing) who likes the vision design and wanted to ride something OUTSIDE the box of "normal"

So......any Victory mechanics on the forum to offer me some guildance with this??
Stock fork oil in all Victory's is 7.5. Victory doesn't sell different weights, but you can obviously buy a multitude of weights elsewhere. Keep in mind that different brands will rate their fork oils differently, so you may not get the same feel. I forget offhand what brand the Victory oil is, but a little research and that can be found out.

As for the stiff ride, I noticed that my 2011 Vision has a noticeably stiffer feel than my friend's 2009 Vision. I believe they changed the suspension for some reason, but I don't know why.

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Fork oil?

I ran Amsoil synthetic oil in my Triumph. I believe they claimed it to be a 10w oil. The stuff worked good,but to me it was about as thick as water,very thin. I use to get the heavier of the two wts. of forkoil that they offered. So maybe that stuff might do the trick. I never had a problem with fork seals leaking and it road nice. I had also replaced the stock springs with progressive wound springs. I changed the oil as often as the manual said to do it also. The bike has over 73K on it now.

·
Registered
545 Posts
You can use any brand fork oil that you want and you can mix weights to customize the viscosity... pick a brand that's readily available and start mixing until you have what you want.

·
Premium Member
632 Posts
The Marzocchi forks used in most Victory's come from the factory with Golden Spectro 7.5wt. I had heard that Vic is now using two different fork brands in the Vision however, so that could explain the difference. Remember though, that the harsher ride is also a result of a different rear shock/spring assembly as well, as indicated by different part numbers between '11 and '09... My guess would be that changing the fork oil to a lighter weight and swapping out the rear shock for an older model would return the bike to the cushier ride that the earlier model years enjoyed.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Lucky for us, we found the rear suspension to ride very similer to the XCT, it was just the front that I didnt like nearly as much as the XCT.
Thanks for all the responces, and I will begin doing some research into my options for fork oil.
And...
for renewing my options for the model choice.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
In case anyone else was wondering about this thread and not replying to it for whatever reason........On VR forum I got a reponse that made me very happy and actually excited......now I know what im getting a n d how to make it ride like it should........AMEN

·
Premium Member
13,697 Posts
In case anyone else was wondering about this thread and not replying to it for whatever reason........On VR forum I got a reponse that made me very happy and actually excited......now I know what im getting a n d how to make it ride like it should........AMEN
What? That's it? You aren't gonna tell us the magic secret handshake to do it ourselves?

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
my bad

What? That's it? You aren't gonna tell us the magic secret handshake to do it ourselves?

this is his original post some time ago which covers most of his story

I thought I would pass this along just for interest. When I bought my '10 bike I wanted it to be all black so the dealer (Cycle Dragon) was considerate enough to take two bikes, a Premium and a 8 Ball, and switch parts around in order to make an all black Premium. One of the things I really liked about that bike in particular was the plush ride. You could aim it at pretty much any pothole or whatever and it would just roll right over it. A really great ride!

When the '11s came out with the new trans I ended up selling my '10 to a buddy who had his eye on it since I got it and took delivery of a new '11. The very first thing I noticed was that it didn't ride anywhere near as plush as the '10 did and interestingly, it didn't seem to turn in as well as the '10 either. The dealer did some checking for me in order to figure out what the factory might have changed but they swore they didn't change anything.

Fast forward to yesterday and 2500 miles later. I had the chance to ride the '10 on Sunday and was now back on trying to figure out what I had to do to get the ride of the '10 back. I pulled the forks to see if either of them might be binding but they seemed exactly the same. I was getting ready to put it back together and it finally dawned on me. When the tech switched all the parts over he also switched the forks since the lowers on the 8 Ball were black. I went to the fiche online and sure enough they use different springs, different cartridges and different spacers. So this morning I went over to the dealer who happen to have an 8 Ball sitting on the floor so I sat on it and gave it a bounce. Sure enough, just like my black bike! It turns out that not only is the 8 Ball forks sprung a bit lower to compensate for the lower rear shock but the springs are also softer and the dampening is probably less restrictive. If you haven't ridden an 8 Ball take it from me, the difference in ride is substantial. It turns out the tech had no idea the forks were shorter or plusher for that matter. As a side benefit, the shorter front end changes the geometry so that the turn in is improved as well.

I ordered the parts and will now make the new bike ride as well as the '10 did. I'm pretty excited about this as the ride was the only thing I really missed and its been bugging the hell out of me.

Marc

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
This was his original answer to my question along with the parts list.

When I did the '11 Vision I posted about it here. Here's what it says in part:

I finished the fork components swap today. I swapped out the fork cartridge, spring and spacer from the stock Tour parts to those from an 8 Ball. Actually I had to make the spacers since Victory was out of stock on them. The OE spacers are made out of plastic which I duplicated in aluminum. The new spring is shorter. The cartridge is the same length but the dampening is lighter. The difference is pretty amazing. The bike sits a bit lower so my feet are flat now. The ride is way better. Bumps that disturbed the bike before are just soaked up. Really, really nice. The turn-in is also improved which helps cornering. The cost of the parts was $320.00 and the dealer charged one hour to swap the parts out including new oil. I pulled the forks which took all of 30 minutes and about the same to put them back. If anyone has any questions please let me know.

Part#s
Spring 7043627
Cartridge 5137274
Spacer 7556550
One quart of Victory Fork oil

So in summary, the quality of the ride is improved. It is much more compliant then it was before. Where it might have been choppy over stutter bumps it just glides over them now. Freeway hop is also reduced noticeably. Just this past weekend I added a 1" spacer over top of the springs in order to lift the ride height up to where it was originally. I did this for no reason other than to make it easier to park. Since it was sitting lower I had to be careful not to park it with the stand uphill or it didn't feel safe. The ride quality was not affected.

Marc

Also note he mentioned adding a 1" spacer back to the top in order to bring it back up to factory ride height, which he tells me has no part number and was something he choose to do on his own. He made it from aluminum but plastic could also be used.

·
Registered
442 Posts
everything's a compromise. so long as you're aware of that, good luck and enjoy!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts