Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
I work off of four different puters; so I know it's not just me. Everything on this site takes FOREVER, and it is a major PITA to just go to a second page
!:I agree:

·
Premium Member
1,602 Posts
It's prolly due to all the advertising banners and stuff. Forums won't load till they do first.
That's how the site owners make their $$$$$....hoping you'll click and buy something from them.

·
Administrator
5,988 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You can install an add blocker on your browser. They're free, and they work. Your browsing will be faster, and the only drawback is that you won't see the colorful and entertaining banners the site's otherwise flooded with.

If you're using Firefox, here's a good add block add-on:
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/adblock-plus/

If you're using Chrome, here's a good add-on:
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/gighmmpiobklfepjocnamgkkbiglidom
That sped it up, but it is still slow. Thanks for the link

·
The Diamond
4,001 Posts
I don't know what to say as my computers including my Xoom have no problems loading pages. They load very fast. As CrossRoads points out part of the site being free is the ads. Unfortunately there isn't much more that can be done.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I have 20mb fibre optic broadband and a very fast PC (my business is online) its slow here!

·
Registered
9 Posts
blazing fast when compared to hdforums.com

·
Registered
92 Posts
My speed varies. What you need to remember your connection speed is based on a number of factors your computer, the host computer and the amount of traffic on line the and path you are connecting to and from.

·
Premium Member
13,699 Posts
Sounds like a bottleneck in one of the routers routing the data. On another forum, based in the USA, the forum is slow for me but fast for a friend in New Zealand.

Could also be the number of people in a given area trying to use the Webernet but I would think they had all that sorted out by now.

Are you using a wireless router for your computers Kevin? Is the speed good on all of them? Is there a lot of useless chatter going on like programs checking for updates and what not? Things like that can slow things down too. The Adblocker Plus is the best all around solution though.

I have a friend in NV who uses a line of sight wireless for his connection. When he uses Chrome, or maybe it's Safari, he has much faster connections for some reason.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Unfortunately there isn't much more that can be done.
It's not so slow that I care, but this is a slow forum. The above just isn't true in a technical sense. I'm sure nothing more will be done, but there is stuff that can be done to speed it up.

This is hardly the only forum with ads. Ads does not have to equate to slow.

Still though, I like the forum and it isn't going to keep me from slowly checkin in on the site :ltr:

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Sounds like a bottleneck in one of the routers routing the data. On another forum, based in the USA, the forum is slow for me but fast for a friend in New Zealand.

Could also be the number of people in a given area trying to use the Webernet but I would think they had all that sorted out by now.

Are you using a wireless router for your computers Kevin? Is the speed good on all of them? Is there a lot of useless chatter going on like programs checking for updates and what not? Things like that can slow things down too. The Adblocker Plus is the best all around solution though.

I have a friend in NV who uses a line of sight wireless for his connection. When he uses Chrome, or maybe it's Safari, he has much faster connections for some reason.
Depending on where I am it is wireless or hard wire. The system at work is all new and VERY fast for about everything I do. That includes several other forums with at least as much ad content as this one. Speed seems constant everywhere.

Now that said I am now using Chrome with Ad Blocker to surf here, and the difference is VERY significant, but still a tad on the lazy side

·
Administrator
5,988 Posts
It is as fast as any of the forums I go to. I have comcast cable that is about 25 mb down and 7 up 0 speed problems. I wonder if it has something to do with location?
It absolutely does. If a server hosts a website 3000 miles away, there are more hoops for the signal to travel through, therefore it's slower for some on one end of the country than those who are closer to the server where the website is hosted. If you guys want to get down to the nerdy numbers, you can ping the website and post your results.

Here's how. You click on your START and type "cmd" - a window will pop up, in which you need to type: "ping victoryforums.com" and hit ENTER (command's shown in green below). You will get a result that looks like this:

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7600]
Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Users\AP>ping victoryforums.com

Pinging victoryforums.com [174.36.87.138] with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 174.36.87.138: bytes=32 time=72ms TTL=46
Reply from 174.36.87.138: bytes=32 time=57ms TTL=46
Reply from 174.36.87.138: bytes=32 time=54ms TTL=46

Ping statistics for 174.36.87.138:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 54ms, Maximum = 72ms, Average = 59ms

The response time will be shown in milliseconds, in this case, my average was 59 m - while this won't tell you much, you will be able to compare numbers by pinging other domains. Try yahoo.com, or your other favorite forums and/or websites.

·
Registered
679 Posts
It absolutely does. If a server hosts a website 3000 miles away, there are more hoops for the signal to travel through, therefore it's slower for some on one end of the country than those who are closer to the server where the website is hosted. If you guys want to get down to the nerdy numbers, you can ping the website and post your results.

Here's how. You click on your START and type "cmd" - a window will pop up, in which you need to type: "ping victoryforums.com" and hit ENTER (command's shown in green below). You will get a result that looks like this:

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7600]
Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Users\AP>ping victoryforums.com

Pinging victoryforums.com [174.36.87.138] with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 174.36.87.138: bytes=32 time=72ms TTL=46
Reply from 174.36.87.138: bytes=32 time=57ms TTL=46

Ping statistics for 174.36.87.138:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 54ms, Maximum = 72ms, Average = 59ms

The response time will be shown in milliseconds, in this case, my average was 59 m - while this won't tell you much, you will be able to compare numbers by pinging other domains. Try yahoo.com, or your other favorite forums and/or websites.
Thanks for the information. I did what you suggested and my average was 38ms.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts