Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,872 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
https://www.revzilla.com/common-tread/polaris-promises-good-things-ahead-for-indian

I'm sure this is old news to most on here but I read this Revzilla article for the first time last night. Yep, Scott Wine promising 'good things ahead for...'. The line that really stuck out with me was "Polaris is less of a motorcycle company than it has been in years." Seems about right to me. I hold no ill will towards the Polaris Indian bikes, the Polaris Indian dealers nor the Polaris Indian owners who enjoy them. I don't know any Polaris Indian riders personally and I haven't had the opportunity to talk to many of them. Do these owners trust Scott Wine and the Polaris Senior Management team? If not, that's understandable. If they do trust Scott Wine, why?

·
Premium Member
2,341 Posts
https://www.revzilla.com/common-tread/polaris-promises-good-things-ahead-for-indian

I'm sure this is old news to most on here but I read this Revzilla article for the first time last night. Yep, Scott Wine promising 'good things ahead for...'. The line that really stuck out with me was "Polaris is less of a motorcycle company than it has been in years." Seems about right to me. I hold no ill will towards the Polaris Indian bikes, the Polaris Indian dealers nor the Polaris Indian owners who enjoy them. I don't know any Polaris Indian riders personally and I haven't had the opportunity to talk to many of them. Do these owners trust Scott Wine and the Polaris Senior Management team? If not, that's understandable. If they do trust Scott Wine, why?
Polaris kicked the pooch when they dropped Victory. People will analyze that move and wonder if Indian will have the same demise. They should have integrated both brands. Offering different styles in each brand. A dealer would carry both brands and give a rider a very diverse choice. The Indian should have been a 4 valve head. Harley Davidson came out with it on their new motor. That puts Indian in the back. But Victory has always been there. Harley Davidson has always stayed in the running, even when things get bad. Polaris KILLED Victory and didn't stay in for the long run. Will they with Indian? If you wish to ride an American Motorcycle. Go with Harley Davidson. They cost more the first go around, but have a great resale value compared to Polaris's motorcycles.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Makes me think of three of the biggest lies. Checks in the mail, I'll love you in the morning and I wont ___ in your mouth. Fool me once shame on you, twice I need my head bashed. I would be hard pressed to buy another Polaris item, unless maybe it was a snowmobile and I lived up north.

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
The local Indian dealer puts on a bike night once a week in the summer and I went a few times this year. The one thing I found out is Polaris has pulled some customers away from HD because the guys on the Indians dressed the same, had the same attitude, and were barely able to ride a motorcycle just like a lot of HD riders. The second thing I found out is that you better not call them Polaris Indians, oh no, that will get you some nasty looks, they are just Indians. Funny thing is in a sea of Indians and HD's people still come up and take pictures and want to talk about my plain ol' XR. Kind of cool.

·
Registered
539 Posts
you know, after reading that article, a different quote popped out to me....
he has said repeatedly in interviews and such that Victory was hemorrhaging money, they just couldn't keep investing in the brand because it was a net loss (paraphrasing a little)... but yet then says this
“I view the 18 years of blood, sweat and tears we poured into Victory as the investment in education required to successfully bring the legendary Indian motorcycle brand back to industry prominence."

so for 18 years you invested in an education and were still losing money? did we not learn anything in those lessons because it would seem to me that if they really were loosing as much as they say in the interviews, they didn't learn a bloody thing...

sounds like spending a ton of money on a Harvard, MIT, CAL-Tech type education just to end up flipping burgers at mcdonalds..

Hey Scott, "would you like fries with that? Supersize it for a buck?"
:crzy::|

Reactions: Chattanooga Mark

·
Registered
70 Posts
I totally think it sucks what Polaris did to Victory.

I'm still proud to own one.

·
Registered
2010 Cross Country / stock 106 with glasspack mufflers
753 Posts
I totally think it sucks what Polaris did to Victory.

I'm still proud to own one.

Not proud of Polaris either but very proud of my own (our own) sense to recognize a well engineered machine and stick with it even when everyone else including its parents abandoned it. I don't want a Harley or an Indian. I don't want a Honda or a Yamaha or a Kawasaki Goddamit! I like this bike and I'm gonna RIDE IT TILL THE WHEELS FALL OFF!

https://www.vicwrapz.com/product/ttwfo-till-the-wheels-fall-off/

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
If it took 18 years to figure out a business plan, me thinks they need to find another job. I really think part of the reason the numbers in sales and thus profits sank was development/marketing. They were trying to make bikes that were all over the board. smaller naked bikes, big cruisers, touring bikes and the ultimate touring type Vision. Without the resources to market correctly. Maybe if they would have stayed with a smaller line? But then I guess your in the trap of no bike to fit this guy or that.
Indian should have really water cooled that thing. At least the heads. I dont see how with increased emissions they are going to meet them. Engine temps rise because they have to burn off unused gases, same with the CATS. At some point guys just aint going to ride 1000 degree motorbike.

·
Premium Member
1,872 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The local Indian dealer puts on a bike night once a week in the summer and I went a few times this year. The one thing I found out is Polaris has pulled some customers away from HD because the guys on the Indians dressed the same, had the same attitude, and were barely able to ride a motorcycle just like a lot of HD riders. The second thing I found out is that you better not call them Polaris Indians, oh no, that will get you some nasty looks, they are just Indians. Funny thing is in a sea of Indians and HD's people still come up and take pictures and want to talk about my plain ol' XR. Kind of cool.
I always refer to them as Polaris Indian because that's who they are. I welcome others to do the same anywhere and everywhere, Polaris Indian. Same as Gilroy Indian or Kings Mountain Indian. Knowing it gets under their skin a little is fine with me. IMHO, everyone should only refer to them as Polaris Indian. Polaris is simply the current owner of the brand name, nothing more. Who knows who will own the name after Polaris. Though this is certain, Polaris Industries will, one day, bail on Slingshot and Polaris Indian.

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
At the first Polaris Inidan bike night I went to I had a couple of nice guys come up to my XR as was getting my gear out to leave and asked lots of questions. Told them it was a Polaris product just like their Indians. They just stared, they had never even heard of a Victory and had no clue that Polaris made their bikes (I am assuming the latter based on their reactions).

·
Registered
12,326 Posts
At the first Polaris Inidan bike night I went to I had a couple of nice guys come up to my XR as was getting my gear out to leave and asked lots of questions. Told them it was a Polaris product just like their Indians. They just stared, they had never even heard of a Victory and had no clue that Polaris made their bikes (I am assuming the latter based on their reactions).
Victory is to Indian owners as the V-Rod is to Harley guys--we don't exist.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts