Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This guy takes crashed bikes and makes custom rides from them.

How To Build a Custom Motorcycle for a Bargain

I have been wondering for over a year now how a Vic Diesel would do on the market vs. those stupid looking electric bikes they tried to pawn off. A small turbo diesel or diesel / gas hybrid would be my goal.

I know people who have done it on older Moto Guzzis and HD's with a measure of success, but never really gained much except the fun of the project and 100 MPG. They never seem to be able to much over 50 MPH.

Guzzis can be retrofitted with a 3 cylinder sailboat diesel that can be matched to the gear box easily. HD can be done with some fitment mods.

As cheap as a lot of Vics are now, especially the V92 and up to 2003 cruisers, this may be the time for me to start engineering something.

The gear boxes would be my concern on the older bikes though. first few years they had some serious issues and parts cannot be found. Which would be better for a direct drive conversion using a belt or chain.

But the Freedom designed bike could be. And I think the transmissions are strong enough to handle diesel torque as well. Some of the older 2 stroke Jap bikes had tons of torque and I bet those could be good to use as well.

With new battery technology a huge direct drive motor could also be used to make an electric bike using a little tech from the car world for regenerative breaking. Or a gas / electric hybrid from a marine seller.

Steyr Motors sells a crapload of different engines. They used to make Puch 2 stroke Twingles for Sears way back. I had one and that little 250 pulled me AND a sidecar. Their M14 CR - 4-cylinder common rail engine makes 147 HP.

Raven MPV-710 makes some lower HP ones for riding mowers taken from a Toyota Hybrid for 3K.

I think it would a fun project to start playing with this. I know people who did a DC direct drive conversion on the old Honda cars, if I remember correctly their was a direct kit you could but for around 2500 beans.

I like stuff like this. Hell some of the best American machines, many were started in a garage or bicycle shop.

I think I will be starting to shop around for engines, kits, transmissions to see if I can find a good combo that can propel a 800+ lb. bike and rider and see what I can come up with for fit. :)

·
Registered
742 Posts
Good idea Kurbs, and thanks for sharing Cycle Outlet...I liked them on Facebook where they look to be a pretty new presence, but no doubt will grow with the exposure. Wish there was a way to view their current projects that might be for sale. Not that I'm looking seriously but I do like their concept of reviving broken junk into unique customs.

·
Registered
12,162 Posts
IMHO the mfrs of electric bikes have it all wrong making only sport style bikes that appeal to the younger crowd. A demographic without much discretionary income. I think the first electric bike mfr to come out with a cruiser style will sweep the market. Why? Because cruisers appeal to an older, er more mature rider who wants a comfortable riding posture and can afford that second errand / commuter bike. Keep the MSRP under $10K and it'll be a winner. I'd buy one.

·
Registered
530 Posts
yeah, but cruiser riders like us also like to go for more than 50 miles on a single charge... need to have bigger batteries or more efficient motors, and then we would all be riding electric cruisers the size of a Boss Hoss... lol

·
Registered
12,162 Posts
Note that I said errand / commuter electric bike. My assumption is that an electric cruiser would be purchased as a second or "town" bike and a "country" bike would also be in the garage. Then there are those who don't go beyond city boundaries, like most scooter riders, and an electric would be their only ride.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts