Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have you folks noticed any odd or new sounds? I used it 1 time in my Royal Star and if I remember correctly it made more noises with it.
Sent from my SPH-L710 using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
12,162 Posts
Been using T6 5W-40 in my 2010 XR for about 7K miles with no complaints.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Are you talking about the 5w40 oil?

Victory calls for 20w40, so I would imagine that until the oil heats up you're going to hear some excess valve train noise, because 5 is a good bit less than 20.

·
Registered
12,162 Posts
Yes, I said 5W-40. I don't live in Phoenix. Mornings here are now around 50 degrees and I want good oil flow at start up. As it warms, the polymers expand, thickening the oil as the engine parts expand. The lighter oil makes the starter's job easier too. No more noise than when 20W is in her.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Yes, I said 5W-40. I don't live in Phoenix. Mornings here are now around 50 degrees and I want good oil flow at start up. As it warms, the polymers expand, thickening the oil as the engine parts expand. The lighter oil makes the starter's job easier too. No more noise than when 20W is in her.
There are soooo many riders out there who do not understand what the different weights mean in a multi-viscosity oil... you do and I do and a few others do, but not many. We will continue to use T6 and save wear and tear on the internal parts of our engines at start up.

Since the victory is air/oil cooled it does not require 50w as does the HD air only (even with an added oil cooler). The flow pattern of the cooled oil is the difference between the two... in the HD the oil just flows back to oil reserve and mixes with what's there... in the V the oil flows thru the cylynder walls on its way back to the reserve, thus cooling the engine on its way.

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I just hit my brothers supplier I can get amsoil for under 9 a quart, royal purple cheaper and Lucas even cheaper. I've used Lucas b4

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
12,162 Posts
There are additional benefits to using oils formulated for Diesel engines. Since Diesels run at much higher compression ratios, about twice that of gas engines, internal parts take a greater beating, so their oils have a greater amount of additives designed to protect those parts. For that reason, I use Diesel formulated oil in my 14 year old service truck (bought new) that has had no problems connected with lubing, or any others for that matter. I can't help but think that those same additives help protect my Vic's engine and that's why Rotella T6 has a JASO MA rating. Which means its good for wet clutches, among other things.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Have been using Rotella 5w-40 in my 28 year old Honda with tens of thousands of miles on it for a long time...... actually quieter with the Rotella.

I don't quite get the reasoning behind your initial post then your follow up about pricing on Amsoil, Lucas and Royal Purple. Makes no sense.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts