Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

What should I do?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am scoping out a "new" 2008 Hammer (100CID) with a nice list of options including HID headlamp, stage 1 shotgun pipes, hydraulic clutch, billet wheels, lotsa extra chrome, however I'm conflicted because this is a 2YO demo. It's only got ~2000km (about 1200mi) and it will have the 5-year warranty, but still it's a demo and that bothers me despite no visible signs of abuse or wear. It looks stunning though.

Dealer says it cost them $24,000 including the options and they're letting it go for a little under $18,000. Anyone have any thoughts/advice on how I should proceed? :confused:

There is also a nice blue/white 09 Hammer S there but it has zero options and really doesn't look as hot as the 08 Hammer, however it has the 106 engine.

Note: all prices are Canadian.

·
The Diamond
4,001 Posts
I my area all the Victory dealers would let you ride ANY Victory bike on the floor. They didn't have designated demo's.

Saying that I don't know about the dealer you are dealing with.

Either way there really isn't anything to worry about regarding the bike. Be sure the dealer puts in writing that the bike has never been damaged.

As far as the extras go. Most dealers threw in the Stage 1 pipes and some even the wheels. Victory bikes come with a LOT of chrome from the factory. Hydraulic clutch is a STANDARD feature not extra. The HID headlight is an option.

Is there any chance you can get some pics and post? I say try and talk him down under 17k.

Here are 4 pics of Porti my Jackpot. The first 2 pics are the day I bought it. Look at ALL the chrome on it from the factory. The third pic is my bike one week later with the Stage 1 Drag pipes and billet wheels. These were a part of the deal.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I my area all the Victory dealers would let you ride ANY Victory bike on the floor. They didn't have designated demo's.

Saying that I don't know about the dealer you are dealing with.

Either way there really isn't anything to worry about regarding the bike. Be sure the dealer puts in writing that the bike has never been damaged.

As far as the extras go. Most dealers threw in the Stage 1 pipes and some even the wheels. Victory bikes come with a LOT of chrome from the factory. Hydraulic clutch is a STANDARD feature not extra. The HID headlight is an option.

Is there any chance you can get some pics and post? I say try and talk him down under 17k.

Here are 4 pics of Porti my Jackpot. The first 2 pics are the day I bought it. Look at ALL the chrome on it from the factory. The third pic is my bike one week later with the Stage 1 Drag pipes and billet wheels. These were a part of the deal.
My good wife was trying to get me a nice Christmas present, and made two $17k offers but they rejected both. I think they'll go to 17,500.

The hydraulic clutch isn't on the other 08 Hammers they have nor on the 09 Hammer S that I was looking at, but it is on several other models. This dealer only has a couple of demos, none of which I got to ride because some moron sales guy told me they required a signed offer and a deposit before I could take one out. WTF?! I spoke to the sales manager a few months later and he was plenty steamed about this.

Any thoughts on whether the 5-year warranty will be extended into 2010?

Love your Porti BTW, great wheels. Thanks for the advice.

·
Registered
243 Posts
hey bro. before you buy, go online to cycletrader.com following is just a sample of what i found

2010 ham s $16,995 Tuscumba Al. 866/299-1244
2009 ham w/stage 1 $16,999 Huntley, Ill866/694-0250
2009 ham $15,999 Evansville, Ill
2009 ham $16,899 stage 1 swept pipes & air cleaner Houston Tx. 866/493-0750
2009 ham $$15,299 Brea, Ca. 877/258-2416
2009 ham $15,495 Columbus, Ga. 888/448-3309

and there are many more, all are new and if you buy before the new year there is the sales tax and excise tax you can claim on your 2009 tax form, provided you don't make over $125,000 filing single or $250,000 filing jointly.

hope this helps

steve

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I went back again for another look today and got a different perspective. It's a 2008 Midnight Cherry Premium which explains most of the goodies (HID headlamp, billet wheels, chrome swingarm and forks, hydraulic clutch) orig price $23,950 and they are willing to move a little from that $18,000.

I compare that to a new 2009 Lava Orange Hammer Premium right beside it for essentially $5000 more considering I want to put on new pipes immediately.

Is it worth the extra $5k for new and a not-as-nice paint color (IMHO)? I don't think so. My only concern is the demo bit but I checked the oil and it looks good, so it must have had its 500-mile servicing. Plus no one has really expressed any concern at this aspect.

We'll see what my mood is like tomorrow. I've always realized that nice things cost money and this is probably no exception. It's not as if there are any other Victory dealers in my area, and the regional online classified are very limited limited with just a few late-model Hammers. Plus that 5 year warranty is very appealing. I appreciate some of the suggestions to look elsewhere for better deals, but traveling across the continent to buy a bike would add thousands to my price considering travel costs and time off work.

Will keep you posted! Thanks to all who offered their advice.

·
The Diamond
4,001 Posts
You need to run from that dealership. They have a 2009 for 23k? THAT is a ripoff!!

2010 Hammer S lists for just under 19k! Thats per the Victory website. Dealers all over the place sell them for less than the suggested price.

Take the advice of the others here and search around.

·
Registered
257 Posts
even if you have to pay a mere 500 dollars to have it shipped from ANYWHERE in the nation you are still way better of than over paying by thousands of dollars!!!! as diamond said..........RUN

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It kinda hurts being Canadian... our website list a base 2009 Hammer (not the Premium) as starting at $19,500, and the Hammer S at $20,500. The Premium Hammer looks substantially hotter to me than the stock Hammer, and when you start adding up the options in the Premium package plus the shotgun pipes ($1000 installed) that base price climbs quickly, making the $18k look attractive.

Bringing one over from the USA isn't my idea of fun. First I have to find one that I like, then fly or drive down to see it (I would never buy sight unseen), then pay to have it shipped back or put it into storage until the snow clears and ride it back in the spring. Plus we get absolutely raped at the border, NAFTA or not, because I'd have to pony up 12% in taxes. Either way a trip like that would cost me thousands in lost wages, but that said, if I got from Phoenix or California or Florida I could spin a winter vacation out of it...

We'll just see how low they are willing to go tomorrow. Month end in the dead of winter, hard to believe they won't be willing to move. Now that the snow has hit, the place was hopping with snowmobile customers today. Bottom line: if I don't feel good about it I'll pass.

·
Registered
243 Posts
sorry, i failed to realize your in canada, so obviously there would be no income tax refund, unless you file in the u.s. and i don't know how that would work, however how about posting the difference between canadian & u.s. currency to give us a better perspective on just what it would be the dlr is charging you, .... in american dollars.

thanks

steve

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I ended up getting them down to $17,000 (US$16,150). Total including my windshield, bags, and taxes was a shade over $20k (US$19k)

It should be delivered to my house within two weeks, then the long process of waiting for the snow to clear begins. But at least during that wait I'll have something nice to go out and look at!

Now, anyone want a 1987 Sportster with only 20,000kms (~12k miles)?

·
Registered
243 Posts
super, gud for you, i personally am glad you did what you wanted to do , and that color is great,

what you could do now, that you have soooo much time on your hands, if your not careful you might get frost bite walking back and forth out to the garage to look at your prize, ... so you could just bring it on into the house if you have to move the
t v to make room , nooo problem doubt youll be watching it anyhow, that way the wife can polish while you adjust , tinker, and add any bling.

im sorry, i get all worked up when someone gets a new bike they want,

enjoy

steve :D

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks guys, I appreciate the comments and suggestions. I'm already getting tired of waiting for it to be delivered!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Very nice bike ride safe and enjoy!
I have been looking at the Blue and White Hammer S Demo in Burlington ON. for over a month since I road it. I am a new 55 year old rider starting my second year in the spring. Insurance has been an issue stopping me. A little hard to justify close to $2,000 for a weekend hobby 5 to 6 months a year!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I hear you... with Manitoba's short riding season it's even worse for me, but my insurance is only $1400. This year I rode April 11 until mid-November which was outstanding. I almost made it to December actually but the weather turned really cold just a few days before.

If this were a weekend thing for me I probably wouldn't bother, but I ride to work. Leave the house at 06:30 to beat the rush hour idiots, then leave work at 15:00 for the same reason. Thankfully my client is extremely accommodating. I have ridden in rush hour and it's terrifying what some of these people do.

I'm not sure I'll ride on rainy days with my new Hammer, heaven forbid I get it dirty :eek:

·
Registered
243 Posts
insurance

now this may be an area of interest, or concern I live in so. calif. and believe our prices to be quite high, or at least higher than say Ohio, or Tennesse

I pay $256.00 per yr. full coverage including un-insured motorist / under insured motorist , the policy also includes $1500.00 in acessories coverage, like bags, leather jacket, helmet etc. so

i guess what im getting around to , is this maby what we americans can look foward to under the new state owned / mandated insurance , like Canada has ? ? [ of course that is if our fearless leaders can meet in the cellers, late at night, & decide they need to ram it down our throats. }

steve

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
That's right, and that's part of why my insurance in Manitoba is cheaper than most other places in Canada: Manitoba uses a provincially-run not-for-profit insurance corporation. I hear absolute horror stories about insurance in Ontario, and can't imagine being a 20 year old in Toronto having to pay thousands to insure your POS first car.

For my autos, premiums have actually gone down most years in recent memory. Not so for motorcycles as the injury payouts are far greater for them on average than for automobiles.

Does your $256/year include medical/wage/rehab insurance or basic vehicle repair/replacement? I'm guessing just the latter. Funny, exactly what our vehicle insurance covers in Manitoba is something I've never really thought much about because I know that whatever may happen, I'll be taken care of. I think we just take this for granted i.e. we don't have to worry about that sort of thing.

(DISCLAIMER: I'm not trying to incite a private/public medical insurance debate or anything!)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts