Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to wrap my brain around why some feel the need to upgrade their stereos with aftermarket speakers and giant amps? Don't get me wrong I like crisp tunes too but my XCT playing my Ipod with the bass and treble adjusted to my liking sounds just fine for me?

Sometimes when I park in a shady spot I boot up the Ipod and listen for a half hour on my Vic and just relax. Or cruise down the highway with the music just loud enough for me. Not for every car within 100 yards of me. When I read about all this major stereo mods going on with speaker in the saddlebags and this and that I just don't get it. Blasting speakers isn't the reason I ride. I'm not interested in waking the dead or proving I have the loudest clearest system on my motorcycle. I ride to get away from all the ghetto blasting music I hear in the city. :(

·
Premium Member
5,632 Posts
I'm trying to wrap my brain around why some feel the need to upgrade their stereos with aftermarket speakers and giant amps? Don't get me wrong I like crisp tunes too but my XCT playing my Ipod with the bass and treble adjusted to my liking sounds just fine for me?

Sometimes when I park in a shady spot I boot up the Ipod and listen for a half hour on my Vic and just relax. Or cruise down the highway with the music just loud enough for me. Not for every car within 100 yards of me. When I read about all this major stereo mods going on with speaker in the saddlebags and this and that I just don't get it. Blasting speakers isn't the reason I ride. I'm not interested in waking the dead or proving I have the loudest clearest system on my motorcycle. I ride to get away from all the ghetto blasting music I hear in the city. :(
Get yerself a pair of earbuds and a little digital storage/fm receiver that you can mount to a handlebar. You can then ride a bike without all the weight of a fairing and speakers strapped to the handlebars & you won't disturb a soul & you'll have much better fidelity.

The bike is a lot easier to work on sans fairing too.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Actually my usual tunes is bluetoothed from my Android phone into my helmet with my Sena. It disturbes no one. thumb up

·
Premium Member
4,178 Posts
Get yerself a pair of earbuds and a little digital storage/fm receiver that you can mount to a handlebar. You can then ride a bike without all the weight of a fairing and speakers strapped to the handlebars & you won't disturb a soul & you'll have much better fidelity.

The bike is a lot easier to work on sans fairing too.
honestly, i think earbuds should be illegal while driving any motor vehicle.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
40 Posts
honestly, i think earbuds should be illegal while driving any motor vehicle.

I completely agree. I know MN law states that it is illegal to have headphones in both ears, but not just one. I do see it all the time though and it drives me nuts. It makes them that much less aware of the happenings around them.

·
13,027 Posts
The only way they get to be noticed is to disturb every one around them. ( vroom vroom )
I like music as do most but when you have to yell over it to talk to some one thats not right.
Kind a like small bars that let bands crank it up I'm there to visit with friends and talk to girls.
Music should be there to take up no talking. People should be the center of a tension not the music.

The smarter bike riders listen to the road and whats going on around them.

We could get a government grant to see how music sidetracks riders.
Then we could ride and get paid for it.

·
Premium Member
16 Posts
That's why there's 31 flavors, one for everyone. Don't want a loud stereo don't get one but at the same time don't beat your chest and tell everyone that loud stereos are unsafe or make you less of a rider, that's BS. I like my tunes hard and loud one day and not at all the next. I don't run through town with the volume turned way up either. A well installed aftermarket system will sound clearer and sharper at lower volumes than most OEM systems and when you want to hear it at 70 mph it still sounds good and clear.

I can't wait for Ma Vic to give us the ability to sync our mobile phones and talk while riding and have a sip of coffee from my mug sitting in my Kruzer Cady and flipping my GoPros's Wi-Fi remote on and off to catch some cool videos or photos. Some people can safely multitask all day long and they know when to pay full attention to the road as well.

As for the ear buds, in my opinion much more unsafe than a loud free air sound system, but that's "my" opinion so I don't wear them. For those of you that do use them, rock on!

By the way I'm starting my sound system upgrade this weekend, bigger speakers, big amps, big wires and hopefully when I'm done big clean sound! I plan on doing a full step by step for those interested. Ride safe....

·
Registered
234 Posts
Most of my riding is on the highway...back and forth to work 40+ miles daily. My co worker i ride daily with has pipes that are so loud it drowns out my tunes. So hence my upgrades. ( Amp will be done this winter) Also, the better speakers and amp make the music that much clearer.

·
Premium Member
5,632 Posts
I completely agree. I know MN law states that it is illegal to have headphones in both ears, but not just one. I do see it all the time though and it drives me nuts. It makes them that much less aware of the happenings around them.
Nonsense. I can still hear my surroundings at least as well as I could with earplugs. Just cuts down on some of the high frequency wind noise.

And how is that any different than a bike with loud pipes and a stereo blaring over them?

Frankly, I don't think the latter would affect my riding any either, just disturb the hell out of everyone around me.

Anyway, to take your logic to its ultimate conclusion, you would have to deny deaf people driving rights.

I will concede that diddling with a radio is a distraction and using special made buttons on the handlebars is probably less distractive than poking at a touch screen.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
some good answers. You all know I'm not against nice sounding stereos just the clowns that have gigantic speakers, amps and then park outside a biker bar or whatever and blast away. When I check out someone's nice ride the last thing I'm looking for is a monster stereo system. Again not dogging it, just trying to understand it.

Like VJ stated if you need volumn so loud that people can't talk to one another your just beating your chest.

BTW my Sena bluetoothing my mp3's from my droid into my helmet can be way too loud for me if I want that and it's only me listening. If clear music is what your after, helmet mounted quality speakers would do fine and disturb nobody.

"it's not that I'm too old. It's just that your music sucks" :p

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Nope. It's that I'm too old.

Hot rodding is hot rodding. A kid buys a bone stock bike and all he pumps up is the volume knob, well he is hot rodding. Might not be my cup of tea but it is full blown customizing and it's his Willie and his soap. I been around some silly fads and practically unridable mods, done a few my own self.

I don't have to like it, but as long as I don't get the bill for it, hell, have at it shriner. Enjoy your funny hat.

·
Registered
482 Posts
My two cents.

I say do whatever makes you smile. Just don't force me to listen to your crappy music, I'm listening to my own crappy music. I try to be respectful in everything I do. Respect is what seems to be missing in this country and I do my part daily to bring it back. I don't run obnoxiously loud pipes out of respect for my neighbors and I don't want a stereo on my bike because I like to keep it simple. I use earbuds with the music at a sensible level. I can't see it being any worse than wearing earplugs and I know plenty of folks who ride with those in their ears.

Ride safe.

·
Premium Member
16 Posts

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
That's why there's 31 flavors, one for everyone. Don't want a loud stereo don't get one but at the same time don't beat your chest and tell everyone that loud stereos are unsafe or make you less of a rider, that's BS. I like my tunes hard and loud one day and not at all the next. I don't run through town with the volume turned way up either. A well installed aftermarket system will sound clearer and sharper at lower volumes than most OEM systems and when you want to hear it at 70 mph it still sounds good and clear.

I can't wait for Ma Vic to give us the ability to sync our mobile phones and talk while riding and have a sip of coffee from my mug sitting in my Kruzer Cady and flipping my GoPros's Wi-Fi remote on and off to catch some cool videos or photos. Some people can safely multitask all day long and they know when to pay full attention to the road as well.

As for the ear buds, in my opinion much more unsafe than a loud free air sound system, but that "my" opinion so I don't wear them. For those of you that do use them, rock on!

By the way I'm starting my sound system upgrade this weekend, bigger speakers, big amps, big wires and hopefully when I'm done big clean sound! I plan on doing a full step by step for those interested. Ride safe....
Amen Brother! + 1 to that.
Cant wait for your outcome. Still un decisive about paying the big bucks to V-Twin audio for the Lid mod.

·
Registered
80 Posts

Concur. I have all my music on my iPhone. I sync it to my SENA Headset, select either an album or shuffle, adjust the volume, plug it in in my left fairing box, make any volume adjustment on my headset, and off I go. Once in awhile I'll even listen to a Podcast, or out on the open road listen to a eBook.
Once in a great moon on the way to work in the morning I'll listen to my onboard radio, but when on a cross country long distance ride radio stations come and go, and don't want to be fiddling with the tuner.

·
Registered
19 Posts
My two cents.

I say do whatever makes you smile. Just don't force me to listen to your crappy music, I'm listening to my own crappy music. I try to be respectful in everything I do. Respect is what seems to be missing in this country and I do my part daily to bring it back. I don't run obnoxiously loud pipes out of respect for my neighbors and I don't want a stereo on my bike because I like to keep it simple. I use earbuds with the music at a sensible level. I can't see it being any worse than wearing earplugs and I know plenty of folks who ride with those in their ears.

Ride safe.

I'm of a like mind. It's great that people love their music, but it's not cool when they figure everyone else loves it as much. And in my experience, I hear a lot less of what's going on around me in a car with the windows and the stereo up than I do on my bike with a good windshield and my earbuds at a reasonable level, anyway.
Can anyone say how loud you have to have your bike's speakers to hear the music clearly? A friend of mine with an Electra Glide can be heard loud and clear from quite a ways away, pipes and stereo alike, but I've never tried using the radio on there, myself, to see whether or not he's just showing off his speakers.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Premium Member
4,178 Posts
Using this logic- Deaf folks should not be allowed to drive.

m
Yes and No, if someone is stone deaf and has no way of hearing at all, then no, they should not be driving, but i know there are different aids to help them, so then yes. To me its like letting a blind person drive.

·
Premium Member
1,001 Posts

You sort of answered your own question didn't you? You like certain things, and the other guy like their certain things...

... but, I totally agree with you... I think it's ridiculous to overdo it the way so many people do... and I also agree with the comments of others when it comes to infringing on others with your blasting music...

Live and let live, BUT, I often want to kill the idiots who choose to rattle me with their massive pounding bass or blaring music.

I especially can't stand blaring Mexican music... oops, sorry to you open borders types.

:cool:

1 - 20 of 31 Posts