Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took my XCT out to the Three Twisted Sisters (about 100 miles west of San Antonio). Damn I had a great ride. As always, bike ran like a champ and the its XM radio kept me company. After the ride two (and only two!) cold beverages and a cheeseburger in Leakey really hit the spot.

Did something new today and used my right saddlebag as a cooler. Put a plastic container in the bottom, threw in six bottles of water and then put a 1/2 bag of ice of top of them. Worked great. The container caught most of the water from the melting ice and I always had a cold bottle of water available.

Also had the pleasure of going 65 in a 65 zone being passed at about 90mph by two Porches. I had a front row seat to sit back and watch the Medina constable nail them both. When you take 337 east out of Leakey, DO NOT SPEED! I learned this the hard way--by the same constable I saw at work today.

I love this bike!

·
Registered
12,202 Posts
Great story, thanks thumb. Better than ice, are those Blue Ice things that are sealed and you keep them in the freezer. I use them with an insulated soft container and the beverages are kept cold all day. Maybe not quite that long in the Texas heat.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Those are great ideas, RICZ. I need to hone my technique a little.

·
Registered
12,202 Posts
I sent your post to a cousin who lives in San Antonio. I thought he'd appreciate the details of your ride in country he's familiar with.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Ddi the Sisters the end of March. Love it out there. You living in SA makes it an easy weekend every weekend. I have to make a trip out of it.. :( Hwy 16 leading up to Kerrville is a great road as well. Especially since they repaved.

·
Registered
784 Posts
The wife and I have been longing for a trip to the Hill Country. Maybe the new bike will motivate us.
Aww, we don't need motivating we need work to stop getting in the way.

Cheers

·
Premium Member
5,632 Posts
did this ride a few weeks ago on my new xr and had a blast. been doing for many years. hog stop, broken rim grill, etc.
What is this twisted sister? I used to live in SA and used to ride out to Medina lake and the surrounding area. I don't recall anyone ever mentioning this twisted sister area, but that was a long time ago, early 80s.

·
Registered
135 Posts
What is this twisted sister? I used to live in SA and used to ride out to Medina lake and the surrounding area. I don't recall anyone ever mentioning this twisted sister area, but that was a long time ago, early 80s.
hwy 335, 336, and 337 up around Leakey, Vanderpool, and Bandera areas. great riding also on hwy. 16,39, and 41 out of Kerrvillle.thumb up

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sparkyo1, I'm originally from Indiana--where great rides in Ohio, southern Indiana, Michigan, Kentucky, and even Tennesee are relatively easy to get to (the 7 or 8 months a year you can do it!).

I was stunned to realize that the San Antonio area has so many great riding places--and the sisters is one of my favorites. There are lots of great rides on the FM (from the old Farm To Market) roads around here. And you get to do it about 11 1/2 months out of the year! For a boy (well, advanced middle aged boy) from northern Indiana, riding your bike to work on New Year's Day is such a blast!

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That highway 16 ride up to Kerrville is a great ride. Also, I think I read where white XCTs have a lower drag coeffiecent than the black ones (something about how white weighs less because it has less color spectrum molecules) and are therefore faster! :)

·
Registered
109 Posts
That highway 16 ride up to Kerrville is a great ride. Also, I think I read where white XCTs have a lower drag coeffiecent than the black ones (something about how white weighs less because it has less color spectrum molecules) and are therefore faster! :)
White reflects too much sunlight therefore creating drag... :)

The little towns out there are great as well. Love me some Fredericksburg.

Go to Bandera every year for a Southern Cruisers event. Basically take over Mansfield park. Ride all day, party all night... cheers

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
If we rode together, it would look like you were my shadow! We oughta hook up sometime and have us an Oreo Cookie ride!

·
Registered
109 Posts
If we rode together, it would look like you were my shadow! We oughta hook up sometime and have us an Oreo Cookie ride!
Shadows as in with the sun from behind?? :D

Heck yea! I'll try to remember to look you up next time out that way. Living just outside of Houston, that's more of a trip than a day ride. My next scheduled trip is ROT. cheers

Do have a few aquaintances out that way. Mostly with the SA Southern Cruisers Chapter. They are a fun group. Might want to check them out.

If you ever find your way out towards the NE of Houston, let me know.

-Bill

1 - 14 of 14 Posts