Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Soooo, my other thread was an attempt at finding what I might have done to cause my issues.... now I'm really confused!

the shop just explained to me that I may need a new throttle body because an adjustment they needed to make was out of spec...
this adjustment has fixed the erratic idle they claim but it has a value (-35) that means something is out of spec?????
what pray tell is he trying to tell me??

·
Premium Member
13,058 Posts
I didn't think throttle body's wore out but I guess the bushings in the flapper could wear out.

I've been cleaning my TB's with standard carb cleaner until a friend and mechanic recommended I use actual TB cleaning fluid. I didn't even know there was such a thing.

Amazingly it made a huge difference in how my 04 KP idles. In the past the I would have to use the idle increase lever on the left grip even when the bike sat for just 5 minutes. Now, after using the TB cleaner, I no longer need to increase the idle rpm speed. I can even let it sit for an hour or more in outside heat without needing to use the idle advance lever.

You may want to pick some up and clean your TB's with it to see if it makes as much difference for you. Apparently it dissolves junk/gunk/deposits in the TB the regular carb cleaner doesn't. There are different brands; here's just one.

http://www.autozone.com/fuel-and-engine-cleaners-additives/carburetor-cleaner/berryman-b-12-carburetor-choke-and-throttle-body-cleaner/525295_0_0/?checkfit=true

·
12,984 Posts
I know this is easy for me to say. Why not get the bike put it in a truck and drive down to Kevinx. Or get the throttle body from dealer and overnight it to Kevinx and ask him to go thru it.
Your dealer sounds lazy and want the easy fix after they throw a bunch of parts at the bike.

·
Premium Member
4,872 Posts
Here's the problem...
If the Throttle Position Sensor (TPS) is bad, Victory won't sell you one, so you have to buy the whole throttle body.

If I'm not mistaken, the part is the same as most other bikes and you can likely buy one at NAPA for $35 or something stupid like that. It's just an ordinary TPS.

Another option would be an e-bay throttle body.

Victory throttle body in eBay Motors | eBay

Attachments

·
Premium Member
8,736 Posts
Here's the problem...
If the Throttle Position Sensor (TPS) is bad, Victory won't sell you one, so you have to buy the whole throttle body.

If I'm not mistaken, the part is the same as most other bikes and you can likely buy one at NAPA for $35 or something stupid like that. It's just an ordinary TPS.

Another option would be an e-bay throttle body.

Victory throttle body in eBay Motors | eBay
Typical Victory parts, gotta buy a complete unit cos they don't supply small parts.
Thanks for the info HC.

·
Registered
2,246 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,570 Posts
Great article John. I'm going to bookmark that one.
I did look online for a 2014 tps just to see if I could actually find one. As far as I can tell the source in the article (walker) is presently only selling O2 sensors.
Maybe someone else will have better luck. It would great to have a source for that part down the road.
Did you notice the "Editors Note"?
We carry the TPS for the 106CI in stock.

·
12,984 Posts
2012 to 2017 all modes use same TPS

2001 to 2007 all models use same TPS

When I click on TPS for 2008 it shows years 2012 to 2017 p/n 4012101 so you should ask dealer

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
Did you notice the "Editors Note"?
We carry the TPS for the 106CI in stock.
No. I completely missed it. Speed reading..
Thanks for chiming in though. That's great.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
sadly my bikes have the 100ci/ 92ci tps on them....
I learned a good deal of info from a tech at the local dealer regarding the idle screw on the back of the TB... and why we should never touch it.

·
Premium Member
13,058 Posts
sadly my bikes have the 100ci/ 92ci tps on them....
I learned a good deal of info from a tech at the local dealer regarding the idle screw on the back of the TB... and why we should never touch it.
So just get the right TPS for your year.

I would really like to hear what your dealer tech said about adjusting the idle screw. I've been adjusting it about 1/4 turn when the TB's get dirty and returning it to the original position for years with no problem. It basically allows me to clean the TB's when it's convenient for me to do.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
the tech claimed that the screw can adjust the mixture (on one side/ body) and has the potential to increase a setting (which I don't know) upwards of 30 increments..... he suggested it is best to make smaller adjustments with the digital wrench program in 1-2 of these "increments" at a time.

it's all "greek" to me as I have no idea what he's adjusting or where! all I know is that my bike spit and backfired a little the way I received it
-rpw big slash pipes
-k/n filter
-hammer drag map (not certain as I didn't do it myself)

after merely cleaning the TB with TB cleaner it had some serious issues and now the tech says it is very lean, I need a fuel controller, and he adjusted something to a negative 30 or 35

·
Premium Member
8,736 Posts
Did you fit new spark plugs after using the throttle body cleaner?
If not put new plugs in it, make sure to pull the wires off by the boots not the wire.
Shitty plugs will make it spit back through carb, and throttle body cleaner will **** up your plugs.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts