Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How the heck do you clean the throttle body on the X bikes. Previous bikes have been fairly straight forward… take off air cleaner / clean intake with cleaner, toothbrush, and rag / start bike, let idle, spray small amounts of cleaner into intake / change plugs and clean air filter.

I have been unable to do this as I normally would. I can’t even get to the throttle body, or even run the bike with the air box exposed.

Soo… what’s the procedure??

·
Registered
470 Posts
i think i saw somewhere they don't have to be cleaned.

·
Administrator
5,988 Posts
i think i saw somewhere they don't have to be cleaned.
That's correct. No need to clean throttle bodies on the Cross bikes. And less time cleaning and maintaining means more time to ride. cheers

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Sorry, but I’m not buying it.

My bike started idling a little rougher than normal a few months ago, especially when the engine was cold. Last time this happened I found a badly corroded spark plug wire. So the first thing I did was check all the connections associated with the spark plugs and coil. Everything looked good, so I ran some Seafoam through the tank (2X), changed the air filter to the new Loydz filter, changed the plugs, and looked for any loose hoses or electrical connectors while I had the tank off. I also tried to figure out how to get to the throttle body without major disassembly. I didn’t find anything out of place, nor could I figure out how to clean anything. Despite the tune-up there was no improvement. More power, yes. More intake noise, yes. Better throttle response, yes. Smoother idle, no.

The problem has continued to get worse, and your comments have me concerned. Any engine that breathes in fumes off the crankcase will need periodic cleaning of the throttle body to remove deposits. I can see no way around this. The oil mist builds up as gunk around the butterflies and in idle passages. Eventually air just doesn’t flow like it should at low RPMs and you get a rough idle. Every engine that I have owned has run better after a good throttle body cleaning. The more miles between cleanings the more dramatic the improvement. At 23,000 miles this throttle body probably needs a good cleaning regardless of what the book says.

Maybe I have a screw loose here... please someone explain to me the flaw in my logic.

·
Administrator
5,988 Posts
You have to. It's free! :D

A redesign took place when they moved from the open loop to closed loop, and as a result, bikes from 2008 and newer no longer need throttle bodies cleaned. So, simple to remember rule of thumb is: if your Victory's 2000-2007, clean the throttle bodies every 5,000 miles. If your Victory is 2008 and newer, don't worry about the throttle bodies. You just might have a vacuum leak.

·
13,231 Posts
you need a meter to check spark plug wires
put a Little dielectric grease on both ends maybe even new spark plugs if let the bike idle a lot

yes bikes before 07 you would half to clean bodys not now unless you have vacum leak. Spray some wd40 up around efi to see if you do

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
I hope I don't sound like the dope I may be, but how about just dumping some Techron (or similar), per label directions, in the gas tank, once a year or so?

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sea foam is about the same thing.

There is oil under the frame near the rebreath hoses.

·
Administrator
5,988 Posts
There is oil under the frame near the rebreath hoses.
Why not visit KevinX, at POG? There's no way he doesn't have your rough idle figured out on the spot. And ask him about throttle bodies cleaning when you're there. He will tell you the same thing.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Why not visit KevinX, at POG? There's no way he doesn't have your rough idle figured out on the spot. And ask him about throttle bodies cleaning when you're there. He will tell you the same thing.
I will if I have too. He's 1.5 hrs away. Trip there, hang out while he waves his magic wand, ride back... and my Saturday is gone. It's a nice ride but my weekends are packed and stacked.

·
Administrator
5,988 Posts
I will if I have too. He's 1.5 hrs away. Trip there, hang out while he waves his magic wand, ride back... and my Saturday is gone. It's a nice ride but my weekends are packed and stacked.
At least it will get done right, and you won't risk adding more headaches to your tally. If Saturdays are booked, take a day off during the week. Call in sick - you can tell your boss you have a terrible headache - just don't tell him it's due to the bike. :ltr:

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
At least it will get done right, and you won't risk adding more headaches to your tally. If Saturdays are booked, take a day off during the week. Call in sick - you can tell your boss you have a terrible headache - just don't tell him it's due to the bike. :ltr:
HAAA!!!! That's a good one.

·
Premium Member
5,632 Posts
I find it a little hard to believe myself, but according to Ryland (I think), the crank vents far enough back in the frame that it can't pollute the TBs. With them being vacuums I have to suspend my disbelief, but WTF, I can see no way to clean them without removing the engine so fugitaboutit.

·
Premium Member
106 Posts
One does not need to clean TBs on 08 and up bikes because the idle air enters way below the butterfly plates via that idle air motor (I forget the name and am too lazy to look it up).

The 07 and older bikes have the idle air enter through the intake and past the butterfly valves.

Now, most of the dirt and crud that builds up is from the combustion process and the back waves of air moving backwards out of the intake due to the intake valve movement. Really minute, but over time it builds up. Since the newer bikes have the idle air enter below the butterfly, none of the crud makes it up high enough into the TBs to cause an issue.

my 2 cents.

·
Registered
774 Posts
I hope I don't sound like the dope I may be, but how about just dumping some Techron (or similar), per label directions, in the gas tank, once a year or so?
Gas doesn't go through the throttle bodys. But might help keep the back of the valves cleaner.thumb upcheers

1 - 16 of 16 Posts