Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 07 jackpot and it is popping and surging when you accerlerate. I have read a lot of the post about cleaning the throttle body. When removing the gas tank, does it need to be empty? I noticed that there isn't an on/off swith like other bikes. I have read the owners manual and doesn't help me. Any tips for me? Also I did the throttle reset and it doesn't do anything different.

·
Administrator
5,947 Posts
I have a 07 jackpot and it is popping and surging when you accerlerate. I have read a lot of the post about cleaning the throttle body. When removing the gas tank, does it need to be empty? I noticed that there isn't an on/off swith like other bikes. I have read the owners manual and doesn't help me. Any tips for me? Also I did the throttle reset and it doesn't do anything different.
My personal preference is to lift up an empty tank instead of a full one. But if you must clean 'em before the tank gets lower, then you have to do what you have to do.

Owner's manual won't be nearly as helpful as the service manual. Have you got one?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. I don't have the owners manual. Can you download them here? So you can remove the tank while its full, how?

·
Premium Member
978 Posts
It does not have to be empty.It has a valve built in.At least on my 05 it does.
When I remove the line, I don't lose but a drop or two. It is easier to do with the tank as empty as possible.The tank is a lot lighter. I put a towel around the front of the tank to keep it from getting scratched up on the frame,handlebar risers,and trees. Then remove the rear bolt, and then the two front ones. Carefully lift the rear up enough to reach under the tank and disconnect the fuel line and the drain or vent hose that connects underneath.The fuel line has a small hose clamp, I use a long straight screw driver.
Then if I remember correctly I lift the front and slide it back a little.
Then it should come right off.
It's actually pretty straight forward.
Once you remove the top of the air cleaner,you can see down the throttle bodies.You can turn the throttle to open them, then slide something long and thin in there to hold em open.Preferably something plastic so you don't damage the butterflies.
I use long q-tips and carburetor cleaner to clean them.Just swab the blades and the throat of each throttle bore.If they are dirty,they will be pretty black.When clean, they are all shiny.
This whole job takes about an hour.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Everytime I have removed my tank it has been either half full or more. The service manual is more helpful than the owner's manual. I own a vegas which is similar. I can give you a vague directions.

remove side covers
Unbolt the seat and remove.
Recmove the front bolt caps between the triple tree and the tank on the frame
Loosen the 2 bolts up front and remove the 1 bolt that was hidden under the seat.
Lift the tank from the back (I use a peice of 2x4 kinda cockeyed to hold it up)
loosen the fuel line and remove ( i usually use a shop underneath to catch any loose gas from getting on the motor.)
Reach up in there and disconnect the fuel pump harness.
Now completely remove front 2 bolts and gently lift tank off frame. (I normally put another 2x4 on the floor to keep the fuel line outlet from hitting the ground)

To clean the throttle bodies directions depends on what air cleaner you have. Is it stock or aftermarket like the S&S, Ness or Torque Tubes?

·
Registered
137 Posts
LOL Tarzan we must have been typing at the same time... LOL

·
Registered
51 Posts
I am not completely up on these bikes yet but those symptoms sound exactly how my SVT Cobra would run when the mass air flow sensor was dirty. All I did was remove it and GENTLY clean the wires with a q-tip soaked in electrical contacts cleaner. Not sure if it is the same but may be a possibility.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts