Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I seem to have to clean my throttle bode every 2500 miles or the bike starts to run crapy. Is this normal? I have 07 Vegas 8-ball with S&S air breather shotgun pipes with cats cut out and the S&S 05 hammer drag pipe map. I normally shift at 3000 rpm but sometimes at 4000. Bike gets 36 to 37 mil/gal Avg. no mater how I ride ( and I have tested the ride slower and shift at 2300 rpms for a few tanks although painful for me) Just tired of pulling the tank all the time. It dose not take me long to get to 2500 miles. I don't have the problem of popping in my pipes. And if I do it is after running on the interstate for a while at 80 mil/hr at 3400 or so rpms and letting off the throttle to exit. That is when I may experience popping. Buddy said I blow black smoke At this time too. Normal or not? I do know I'm running rich but is this to rich. Thanks

·
13,242 Posts
Sounds like your running way to rich.
Do you have your 02's un pluged
Did you do a flash
You ap might be the wrong one

·
Registered
307 Posts
Well i dontwant to hijack his thread but since we have the same problem in my case i dont know what flash is on there if its the 2005 hammer map or regular stage1 download i am not sure as i bought the bike second hand the o2 are not being used i guess that would make it rich?But plugs are BLACK.I am almost ready to have the ECU flash back to stock and get a fuel controller Also with S&S sucking in more air you would thing if anything it would be lean

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I had 05 S&S drag map installed. On my 07 Vegas. I do not have 02 sensors, they did not come on the 07 Vegas. Work was done in Gainesville FL shop. So I know that was done right, right kind of map for set up ext. I do not have cats on baffles. The 05 hammer did not have cats either therefor that is why I have the S&S 05 hammer drag map installed. I'm really more concerned about how often I have to pull my tank and clean the throttle body. Would a rich condition cause this? If so possible solutions would be? And once adjusted / fixed, what is normal intervals for cleaning throttle bode.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Will adding an inline filter to the oil vent line help keep the throttle body clean? Or will that open a new can of ugly worms? I know I have to protect the seals on the motor. I have heard of people just adding a screen filter like a small k&n type screen filter ( I have seen them in parts stores) and plugging the line to the air box. Thoughts?

·
Registered
566 Posts
Running too rich and having oil come up the vent tube seem to be two different problems. One is related to crank case pressure, the other related to your tune (hammer drag map).

I definitely think finding a quality tuner in your area and getting the bike custom tuned will help with running rich and mpg.

As for dirty tb, first make sure your oil level is correct, not overfilled. If no one else has any better solutions, maybe you could add a catch can, that can be emptied periodically so that oil doesn't actually make it into the intake. I know it's not a sexy solution, so hopefully someone else will give you a better idea.

·
13,242 Posts
I think your map is all wrong or it didn't down load right.
Yes 02's not hooked up will make it run rich.
blow by hose has nothing to with running rich as long as its not block and air is flowing freely.
I don't know if your dealer can check the flash

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
OK I know I'm running rich. But bike is running good. My issue is the cleaning of the throttle body every 2500 miles to keep the bike running good. Now if running to rich would be a contributing factor in this throttle body thing, then I may spend the big bucks and get a new map have it installed and add a fuel controller then get it tuned. We all know how much that can be. But if that would not help keep my throttle body clean than , other then saving some gas, I'd be wasting my money. As far as 02 sensors go, my bike did not come with 02 censors. The 07 Vegas dose not have that option. So, dose anyone with the open loop fuel injection system have to clean there throttle body every oil change (2500 miles) like me to keep there bike running good or maybe my rich condition needs fixed to relieve some of my preventative maintenance chose. Im just lazy. Thanks again for all y'all's assistance in my issues. I love the forum and read it all the time. Yes, even some of the political mess for entertainment value. Thanks again.

·
Premium Member
978 Posts
I clean my throttle bodies about every 6-8000 miles or so.
And yes Visionjohnny, the "blow by" tube does cause the throttlebodies to get dirty and can cause an over rich condition.
If your bike runs good and doesn't foul the plugs, then no problem.
If however you are fouling plugs, a tps adjustment or a mapping problem could be the cause.
Running rich doen't cause the throttle bodies to get dirty.But dirty throttle bodies will cause it to run rich.
It sounds like this is a consistent problem for you.Why not take it back to Gainesville and ask Kevinx to work his magic. I'm sure he would know pretty quick what the problem is.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks Tarzan, I see now that 2500 mile cleanings may be way to frequent seeing you do them at three times the miles. I'll look into gathering info and moving forward on this. Bike dose run good after the cleaning. Never had a plug fail yet.

Also thanks too vistionjohnny, Marius, and Hammer316 for your replies. All info helps.

I'll keep you posted Hammer about what I find.

·
Registered
33 Posts
i have aftermarket air cleaner, shotgun pipes and the hammer 05 mapping. decided to get it dynoed and found very rich to 3000 rpm's and got very lean above 4500. got custom mapping and runs much better

·
Registered
566 Posts
i have aftermarket air cleaner, shotgun pipes and the hammer 05 mapping. decided to get it dynoed and found very rich to 3000 rpm's and got very lean above 4500. got custom mapping and runs much better
Ditto thumb up

Never under estimate the benefits of an appropriate tune. If your bike is modded, there's a very good chance it's worth it ;)

The only risk is running into a tuner who actually doesn't fully understand how efi actually works, so do yourself a favor and investigate a bit by asking around before you let them do your bike. I've heard of one in my area who "tunes" a bike by downloading the map and then running the bike on the dyno to see what kind of power it makes and considers his job done. So watch out.

·
Registered
307 Posts
I dont really understand this alot of people are saying 05 hammer is good yet on a dyno they are saying its really rich on low end and lean on the top end.I assume if you flashed ECU back to stock with is lean to begin with to pass EPA.People say that Power commander adds or removes fuel but on stock ECU why would you want to remove fuel if its lean to begin with?

·
Registered
33 Posts
I installed power commander. Our local shop does a lot of tuning and took 12% of fuel away on bottom and added 20% of fuel on top. I installed big city thunder baffles instead of the stock ones.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Thats the same set up i have stage flash on ECU S&S air cleaner shot gun pipes with thunder monster baffles and no matter what map i tired on power commander i could smell fuel way to rich so in the end i ended up taking it off as i tried to get it dyno'd but were i live the only dyno is at the harley shop and they do a victory i dont see why but they said no.So i was kind hooped and was getting tired trying all these different maps.maybe on day i will put it back on

1 - 20 of 46 Posts