Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was messing with the headlight and for some reason my throttle push cable decided to start binding. Anyone else have this issue? It's not binding on either end. Took the gas tank off and took apart the throttle to check. Is my only option replacement? Is it really bad to run without a push cable?

·
Premium Member
13,276 Posts
Interesting question. If the spring is strong enough to return to the idle position; I can't see the harm in running it like that while you wait on a new push cable.

Bikes have been running without push cables for more than a hundred years. I always thought it was more of a safety thing than anything else just in case the spring broke. Never heard of a spring breaking yet though.

Your bike your call but if it were mine and it returned to the idle position without the push cable; I'd run it.

I'm wondering if the cable wore through the inner sheath somehow and that's why it's binding up. Maybe when it's off the bike you'll be able to figure that out.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Check your work. It is probably getting squashed by something you took out.
That was my first thought. All the electrical that runs into the headlight is on the left side of the bike though, and that's where the pull cable is. That's where I was first checking for kinks. The pull cable snaps back like it should with the push cable disconnected though and I can feel the push cable snagging when I move the cable by hand.

·
Premium Member
13,276 Posts
If it feels like it's snagging on something inside the inner sheath then my guess is the cable itself frayed. The only fix for it is to either make a new inner cable with the correct ends (good luck finding someone with the correct molds) or get a new push cable. If the inner sheath is damaged the unit is shot.

Probably cheaper and faster to get a new cable.

·
13,026 Posts
the cable on the left is for starting many refer to it as a choke cable. The two cables on the right are your throttle and return cable.
so are you asking about the 2 throttle cables or are you asking about the chock cable. I'm guessing the chock cable has no return spring.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
the cable on the left is for starting many refer to it as a choke cable. The two cables on the right are your throttle and return cable.
so are you asking about the 2 throttle cables or are you asking about the chock cable. I'm guessing the chock cable has no return spring.
I mean on the left side of the neck. Fast idle is on the left handle bar and runs on the left side of the neck and under the left side of the gas tank along the frame. The throttle cable (pull cable) is on the right handle bar and runs on the left side of the neck and under the left side of the gas tank along the frame. The return cable (push cable) is on the right handle bar and runs on the right side of the neck and under the right side of the tank along the frame. The electrical runs on the left side of the neck under the gas tank and all goes into the headlight, makes connections, and comes back out the headlight (for the Vegas at least).

Since I was only messing with the electrical, I assumed it was the throttle cable that had an issue. When I took apart the throttle controls on the right handlebar, I figured out it was actually the return cable that was binding. I'm going to try an lube and adjust it this week. Haven't decided if I'll replace both throttle cables or just run with no return cable. I've read that some people like a sticky return, almost like cruise control, but I can't get used to that feeling.

·
Premium Member
13,276 Posts
Always appreciated when the solution found is posted so the next person has something to check before asking the same question.

Note: This may work permanently or just for a while. Throttle cables normally don't get lubed so this may indeed be a frayed cable caused by being squeezed at some point. If you have the wherewithal; it wouldn't hurt to get a new cable or even set of throttle cables.

Cheers and Regards!

·
Registered
103 Posts
Not sure what model you have but the push cable will also disengage the cruise control if you have one. If in cruise you can close the throttle which will disengage the cruise otherwise it is a safty feature to help close the throttle if it sticks.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Always appreciated when the solution found is posted so the next person has something to check before asking the same question.

Note: This may work permanently or just for a while. Throttle cables normally don't get lubed so this may indeed be a frayed cable caused by being squeezed at some point. If you have the wherewithal; it wouldn't hurt to get a new cable or even set of throttle cables.

Cheers and Regards!
Owner's Manual says lubricate throttle cables, including fast idle, and clutch cable at 10,000 miles. Says, cable lube on the cable itself and grease on the ends.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
13,276 Posts
Owner's Manual says lubricate throttle cables, including fast idle, and clutch cable at 10,000 miles. Says, cable lube on the cable itself and grease on the ends.
Okay. I wasn't aware the older steel frame bikes called for lubing the throttle cables. I don't see any mention of it in the newer X-bike manuals. It might be hidden deep in there somewhere though. A lot of today's cables have a teflon sheath which is bad to lube. When they get too sticky, unless you have a lube that doesn't interact badly with the teflon, it's best to replace them. One such lube is called "Cable Life". It works well with Victory cables and is recommended by one of the top techs (KevinX).

I guess you will know if this fixes it permanently over the fullness of time. If this bike has spent a lot of time in the rain or just a humid climate; it could cause corrosion at a faster rate.

At any rate; I hope this is a long term fix for you.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts