Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To make a very long story short, HOW DO I REMOVE THE TROTTLE CABLES ON THE ENGINE SIDE of the Vision?? Long story to follow.

It never fails! Make a list, buy supplies, kick the cars out of the garage, tear the bike down and get at it! Then out of nowhere, I've had enough! $hit! How do I do this?

I accidentally snapped the adjusters on one of my throttle cables. Still functions fine however the cable is now exposed so it needs to be swapped out.

I've orded and received new custom built cables with the exposed wire 1/4" longer than stock (to properly fit with Llyodz 1/4 turn ring).

While I have the front of the bike torn down for other projects, I planned on replacing the cables. BUT, I can't find how to remove them on the engine side.

Can't find it in the FSM either and can't get to much of it with the tank in the way. Do I have to pull the right fuel tank? God, I hope not. Maybe I should just say the hell with it and wait till they show signs of needing replacement then let a professional (really? A dealership?) do it. CRAP!

·
13,003 Posts
Mike
longer cables will not do it. Trust me. You just have to adjust the stock cables to get the play. For me what was the problem is the black wedges that fit is the slots on the bottom side of the housing.
Call Witchdoctor and ask Jon if there is a trick and get cables from him. He will be faster the any dealer

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
I have LLoyds 3/4 turn throttle ring on my Hammer , Stock cables were plenty long on my model ... You will probably find you have plenty of adjustment at the throttle body cable bracket to more than make up for the ring . Its just getting to it on your model is more difficult .

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
Lloydz came out with a 3/4 turn throttle ring? Lol just kidding Mags it's a 1/4 turn throttle ring. Although a 3/4 turn throttle would be nice!

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
Damn ! Ha Ha , Man I hate when I mistype .... Sets you up for all kinds of laughs ... :ltr:

·
Premium Member
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Thanks for the info all. I think some are missed the point a bit. I already have the replacement cables. I need to remove the originals.

Anyone take throttle cables off the Vision? I'm wondering about the engine side and how to get them off.

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
Mike , I realize you have the cables , longer ones you mentioned . I just wanted to let you know I think the stock ones provide enough length as is ... Just trying to help .thumb up

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
Does the side cover on the vision not come off? Never worked on the vision so I'm not sure if it does or not? To make the adjustments on my Hammer you need 2 stubby wrenches to fit into the small space. Do you have an owners manual, if not search for a member bbob he can more than likely hook you up...

·
Premium Member
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
And Johnny, I'd love to debate the length comment. The 1/4 turn ring takes up all the slack in the stock cables. You have to adjust the adjusters all the way to their max to get just enough room to install the ring.

How could a longer cable, not the sheathing, but the exposed cable inside, not benefit the whole system including the 1/4 ring? I can see why simply getting longer cables wouldn't do beans for it because the cable and the sheath would be longer. Gain nothing other than the ability to get ape hangers or the like.

Stock cables are designed for the stock push/pull. Adding the ring removes the adjustability to the stock cables. Making the metal part of the cables longer (I guessed on how much) puts that adjustability back in.

wac

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
Between the adjustment at the throttle and the adjustment at the engine, between the 2 you will have enough slack to add in the 3/4 throttle ring (see what I did there Mags)....

·
Premium Member
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
Premium Member
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
And for the gifted eye people: I don't own 3 Victorys. The black Vision in the background is a buddy's I am keeping warm and dry. The black XCT is my wife's.

The primary cover is off the motor because my clutch is getting a makeover.

I didn't take this beast apart just to do the throttle cables. I got a whole laundry list of things to do. It's 15 degrees out and snowing like mad. It's 62 in the garage, TV is blaring and I got a full beer fridge and running water. It could only get better if I was out riding in 75 degrees and clear blue sky.

·
13,003 Posts
Mike
Please post when you get cables on. I thought the snow melted when it hit the ground. Thats what my friends tell me out there

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
And for the gifted eye people: I don't own 3 Victorys. The black Vision in the background is a buddy's I am keeping warm and dry. The black XCT is my wife's.

The primary cover is off the motor because my clutch is getting a makeover.

I didn't take this beast apart just to do the throttle cables. I got a whole laundry list of things to do. It's 15 degrees out and snowing like mad. It's 62 in the garage, TV is blaring and I got a full beer fridge and running water. It could only get better if I was out riding in 75 degrees and clear blue sky.
I'm Fucin' Jealous !!!:Dcheers

·
Premium Member
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
You bet Johnny. Without additional intel I ain't doing them.

I'll say most of the time it snows one day, then melts the next. 60 degrees one day the teens and snow the next. Snow isn't the problem really but rather the sand and dirt that gets left behind after the snow.

Wife and I rode last Sat into boulder. Mid 60's. Bikes were shined all up. Got home and it looked like we did nothing but dirt roads. Sucks for guys like me that like to keep the toys sparkling. Days like that though makes me very eager for spring. That's for sure!!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts