Victory Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
throttle lock looks OEM

I got the brakeaway.. blends right in, nice and does the job well with 2 switches for the Oh Ef Ef .. front brake, thumb switch, and throttle itself.

Oh.... it takes more than the half hour b/c it has to be put on perfectly so the 'tap brake lever' works but it is time well spent in my opinion.

·
Registered
243 Posts
I got the brakeaway.. blends right in, nice and does the job well with 2 switches for the Oh Ef Ef .. front brake, thumb switch, and throttle itself.

Oh.... it takes more than the half hour b/c it has to be put on perfectly so the 'tap brake lever' works but it is time well spent in my opinion.
how about a pic. ?

thanks

steve :)

·
Registered
9 Posts

How long have you been using it? Any problems? That is the model I have been considering but I am not sure I could install it myself so have been holding off.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Brake Away evaluation

As in the pics/videos on their website, it does look OEM and the locking device itself does slide on/over the grip making it a once piece finish. The setscrew system pressing on the rubber friction pad could be problematic as metal tends to penetrate rubber. The friction pad is not thick enough, in my opinion requiring too much torque on the set screws which can rupture the pad. I had to pull it out and rotate it and try again using the thickest of the 3 pads even as the medium was recommended. May be forced to make my own in the future after some wear and will probably wrap it in thin copper or something like that.

Functionality is great; required a tedious installment to get the front brake lever to release the lock with a light touch. The thumb release works well as does merely gripping and turning the throttle manually if need be.

Pros: Looks fabulous IF anyone even notices it which is the point of the design. Works as well as any other and the front brake release switch is a neat feature as is the cool thumb press engage. Well designed for looks and functionality once installed (see cons).

Cons: Tedious installment, instructions are mediocre headed to poor and are developed for the "one size fits all" concept; set aside four hours b/c you will probably skip a step somewhere and have to take the entire assembly off and try again. Do not be fooled by the "easy to install slip on" phrase as the bracing mechanism attaching to the mirror/front brake mount opposes the front brake "tap to release" assembly. Do not use the extension (in package) on Victory b/c it looks like it will solve all of your problems but is quite the opposite.

200.00 bucks? Get an ugly thumb only release for 50.00 if you just need a throttle lock. If you have the chrome controls and forks, well, why stop now and get the brake away. If you can, say, drop the deck and swap out blades and belts on a riding lawnmower or R/R a starter on a GMC you can install this.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Brakeaway intalled

Went with the Brakeaway. Works great, took about an hour to install. Thanks for the suggestions.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts