Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy, I have two quick questions, one because I ave no idea what I need the other for suggestions.

Recently with a change in work locations, went from a good safe neighborhood to one where I worry about my car when I can't see it, my bike has become more of a weekend pleasure with the wife, the my main transportation. Because it is now used primarily on longer trips I have noticed a couple things I don't like about the throttle. The first is the extreme amount of twist to get it wide open; I have read about an adapter like sleeve that reduces the amount of twist needed I have no idea what it is called, if anyone does please help.

The second problem is my hand gets tired hanging on I would like a throttle lock but don't know of what are good ones. Does anyone have any experience with them, or could recommend a good one.

·
Administrator
5,990 Posts
Howdy, I have two quick questions, one because I ave no idea what I need the other for suggestions.

Recently with a change in work locations, went from a good safe neighborhood to one where I worry about my car when I can't see it, my bike has become more of a weekend pleasure with the wife, the my main transportation. Because it is now used primarily on longer trips I have noticed a couple things I don't like about the throttle. The first is the extreme amount of twist to get it wide open; I have read about an adapter like sleeve that reduces the amount of twist needed I have no idea what it is called, if anyone does please help.
"Want a quick throttle action? These throttle rings decrease the throttle rotation down to a 1/4 turn."(Quoted from Lloydz.com) They can be had for $19.99 from Lloydz.
HOH-HR1.jpg

The second problem is my hand gets tired hanging on I would like a throttle lock but don't know of what are good ones. Does anyone have any experience with them, or could recommend a good one.
What year/model do you ride? Please add it to your signature so we don't ask you in the future. Here's how to do it.

·
Premium Member
607 Posts
I don't believe it's down to a quarter turn, I believe it reduces it by one quarter of the total amount to go to WOT.

·
Registered
12,354 Posts
I have one on my XR and the change is mild, not dramatic. Definitely worth the price and effort.

·
Registered
203 Posts
The BrakeAway Motorcycle Cruise Control is great as far as I'm concerned. The name is misleading though. It is NOT a cruise control. It will not adjust your speed automatically. It is however a very well engineered device and works flawlessly if properly setup.

·
Registered
12,354 Posts
+1 on the Brakeaway - the best throttle lock there is. Period. Look it up. Get yourself one of those wrist rests that just slip over your throttle. Only about $10. Advertised in every MC mag and at most all accessory stores. Several brands and types. Been using 'em for decades and I won't leave home without it.

·
Registered
62 Posts
is it easy to install?do you have to take the grip off?

·
Registered
203 Posts
is it easy to install?do you have to take the grip off?
It takes some time to install and adjust properly. I wouldn't call it easy but it isn't hard either. The device slips over your grip so you don't have to take anything apart. The installation instructions that come with it are pretty good.

By the way, if you were going to install the throttle ring from post #2, you would want to do that before installing the brakeaway. Otherwise you would have to partially disassemble the brakeaway to get inside the control housing to install the throttle ring.

·
Registered
329 Posts
I don't believe it's down to a quarter turn, I believe it reduces it by one quarter of the total amount to go to WOT.
This is the ONLY reason I didn't buy it. I thought it reduced idle to WOT to a 1/4 turn. Going to order now.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
The BrakeAway Motorcycle Cruise Control is great as far as I'm concerned. The name is misleading though. It is NOT a cruise control. It will not adjust your speed automatically. It is however a very well engineered device and works flawlessly if properly setup.
+1 also... Might want to also think about adding the throttle boss which allows you to use the palm for throttle or relax your hold with your right while maintaining stability on the left grip. They also come as a pair a little cheaper then buying one left and one right if you want to stay symetrical... hehe Several places got'em including JP Cycles and Cruiser Customizing.

Attachments

·
Registered
526 Posts

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
I have one on my XR and the change is mild, not dramatic. Definitely worth the price and effort.
didnt know about this part. thanks. the only problem is that
now i will want to open the throttle all the way more. can
even a moron like me install it? i have iso grips on it.for
any others that do have these grips the brakeaway will go
over them.and it is the premium throttle lock on the market.
had one on the vtx for 8 years and installed a couple for friends.
the only one i can recommend..irv

·
Registered
12,354 Posts
Recommend you look up Brakeaway and find their contact info and ask them. Nothing like getting it from the horse's mouth, so to speak.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Recommend you look up Brakeaway and find their contact info and ask them. Nothing like getting it from the horse's mouth, so to speak.
i was talking about install of the throttle ring.my xr has cruise on it.

·
Registered
12,354 Posts
i was talking about install of the throttle ring.my xr has cruise on it.
Sorry, but your post mentioned the Brakeaway. No instructions come with the throttle ring. You open the pod, slacken the cables and slip it over the cable ring. Reattach the cables and readjust them to have a bit of slack. thumb up

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
+1 also... Might want to also think about adding the throttle boss which allows you to use the palm for throttle or relax your hold with your right while maintaining stability on the left grip. They also come as a pair a little cheaper then buying one left and one right if you want to stay symetrical... hehe Several places got'em including JP Cycles and Cruiser Customizing.
hey tim, i use the throttle bosses on both sides.gives your left hand a
little bit of resting area too. and makes both sides look the same.
--irv

·
Registered
12,354 Posts
I thought the throttle boss occupies the back seat.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts