Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just took my mufflers off in preparation for the thrush mod and came across a couple of things that raised questions.

First, this bike has Stage 1 exhaust on it. Is there anything different I need to do for the thrush mod using these stage 1 mufflers?

Second, after pulling the mufflers off I noticed some kind of filter looking thing in the right hand pipes, but not the left. Anyone know what this is and whether I should remove it or not? Will it impact the sound of the thrush mod? See attached pic.

Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
427 Posts
That's the cats. Some remove them some don't. Plenty here have done the mod so I will let them chime in on what's best.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Personally I would leave the catalysts alone.

·
Premium Member
4,178 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,372 Posts
Johnny is right. There is another cat in the cross under pipe right after the oil filter.

I removed my cats. Would I do it again? Not sure. Certainly don't have to, although it did relieve some of the heat.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Gov says no

Gov. says leave alone. We all do what the goverment tells us right, big brother knows best correct!!!????? I have seen them fall out when the muffler is removed. Seen it on cars years ago, now it happens to most vehicles. Think of flow, do you feel good when your personal exhaust system is backed up, or do you feel better with more energy when the old exhaust is regular and flows out good? When you keep a system plugged up it does seem to heat up and not run as good weather it is animal or mechanical. A cork in a bottle etc. keeps a system plugged up, uncork the bottle and the fluid comes out much better.:crzy:

·
Super Moderator
6,372 Posts
Gov. says leave alone. We all do what the goverment tells us right, big brother knows best correct!!!????? I have seen them fall out when the muffler is removed. Seen it on cars years ago, now it happens to most vehicles. Think of flow, do you feel good when your personal exhaust system is backed up, or do you feel better with more energy when the old exhaust is regular and flows out good? When you keep a system plugged up it does seem to heat up and not run as good weather it is animal or mechanical. A cork in a bottle etc. keeps a system plugged up, uncork the bottle and the fluid comes out much better.:crzy:

That's only half of the equation. If the system isn't tuned for a freer-flowing exhaust, you can actually degrade performance.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Things can go toooooooooo lean.

Correct once one item is changed it changes other things, so just like on a carburated system things need to be fattened or richened up. Or on carbed sytems you can say the carbs need or needed to be rejetted. Reason they sell some many fuel tuners, helps reset the amount of fuel the engine gets.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So, anyone know of any issues with doing the thrush mod on a stage 1 exhaust? Just want to make sure before I get started. Thanks!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts