Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

Tight budget intake

20K views 45 replies 13 participants last post by  Motorbikerx 
#1 ·
Hi guys so this is my first post on any forums. I would like to start off with I have a 2007 victory Kingpin and I am looking to remove the factory air box. Is there a possibility fabricating a new intake or purchasing a cheap but highly effective intake or air cleaner system that isn't going to break the bank. I've been riding for four years this bike has a stage 1 setup but factory air box I don't know a whole lot about motorcycles but I am looking to get into them a little bit more. I am looking to fabricate one similar to what is attached to this post.

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
If you have stage one on the scooter you should have the reusable, high air flow K&N air filter. The air filter access cover should have holes in it. I would leave it just like it is. There have been people that have modified the air filter set up. I don't know how cheap it was.

#5 ·
why not just take a hole saw and drill a few holes in the housing.
Like any improvement to much air, it will lean out the motor and lead to a fuel tuner

#8 ·
#9 ·
Sadly, I do not believe the Ness Ram-Air Intake will work on your 07 scoot. I believe the Steel Frame bikes went to a different intake assembly.

I believe S&S still offers a high flow air cleaner assembly Item #: 41-0021. I put one on my 04 v92tc and was very happy with it. The set-up really cleaned up the area around the engine and helped with performance too.

The down side is that it is not cheap and you will
Land vehicle Motorcycle Vehicle Motor vehicle Car
likely need an EFI tuner. I used a Dobeck, which I was happy with. The folks at Dobeck should be able to help you work around the Stage 1 that is already in place.

S&S® Air Cleaner Kit and Calibration Card For 2003-'07 Victory® Cruiser Models - Polished Billet Aluminum

#12 ·
Well, for what its worth....My take on this is Motorcycles are similar to the Military. Both entice us by visions of ultra excitement, thrills and dramatic exploration. Much of the time this works out quite well for many of us. However, many of us eventually come face to face with the ugly unforgivable truth of stark insurmountable terror. Be it your over run defensive position in a God forsaken country .OR a horrendous spill at Highway speeds on a over powered graveyard pony Motorcycle. IF you survive either, second guessing yourself will be an inseparable part of your psyche forever. But don't just take my word for it, ask Vets of both endeavors.
Vics are equipped from the Factory with enough potential for acceleration and high end speed than a rider will EVER need, trust me..OR...not...Lecture Over.

#14 ·
Well, for what its worth....My take on this is Motorcycles are similar to the Military. Both entice us by visions of ultra excitement, thrills and dramatic exploration. Much of the time this works out quite well for many of us. However, many of us eventually come face to face with the ugly unforgivable truth of stark insurmountable terror. Be it your over run defensive position in a God forsaken country .OR a horrendous spill at Highway speeds on a over powered graveyard pony Motorcycle. IF you survive either, second guessing yourself will be an inseparable part of your psyche forever. But don't just take my word for it, ask Vets of both endeavors.
Vics are equipped from the Factory with enough potential for acceleration and high end speed than a rider will EVER need, trust me..OR...not...Lecture Over.
Modified Victory..
We gonna have to agree to disagree on this one.

Reactions: Prime004
#13 ·
I personally could never use the full potential of the power of the bike I'm just going for the aesthetic reasonings behind it and the accessibility of being able to reach everything for a better cleaning as well as the ability to access the valve covers

#15 ·
Ditto. There are plenty of ppl that are happy with a stock bike. I'm truly happy for them. I on the other hand have never been happy with ANYTHING stock. An engineer designs a motor to produce X HP/performance.. and that's what's tested etc. THEN they have to take the engine to X-EPA/Govt oversight to meet emissions etc, not to mention savings from cheaper parts yada yada. There is NO reason for paper filters for intakes on earth other than cost savings and potential sales of replacement parts. Aftermarket intakes, exhaust and tunes restore an engine closer to what it's capable and designed to do. Now it's NUFF SAID.

#25 · (Edited)
OK... I can't help it...
When riding a motorcycle, fear is the enemy. He who has the ability to RIDE THE BIKE and stay calm will win the day. If you allow yourself to be startled or if you panic.... THAT'S WHEN YOU DIE. Concentrate on the job at hand and you won't have time to panic... you'll be busy riding well.

That's all I have, thanx.

#26 ·
V-Strom= carves up the corners like crazy, acceleration is just OK
Rocket 3= ok cornering but brutal acceleration
Victory Cross Country= sits in the middle of the two above

None of the above scare me but my dumb ass has scared myself at my lack of restraint at times.
If riding scares you you'll over-react, not cool.

#27 ·
I made that whole intake for less that 25gbp. About 32usd.

It's out the side because it's a 1 off custom.
Look at frame top tube
Only way to get the intake in.

#31 ·
Ridiculous assertion. I've been doing this motorcycle thing since 1971 and I have never been scared doing it, whether motocrossing, roadracing, drag racing, or street riding. I ride a Victory with 134 HP to the tire. By your logic I should be dead... so how do you explain my typing this right now? Next.

#32 ·
Well Sir, with all due respects I don't want to pull rank but I built up a Whizzer in '55 and after all the years and many MC's up to my current Vic Ham.

I must agree with your last post because an assertioin does not always follow a scientific rule, therefore mine is more of a notion..

#33 ·
It's a 106 motor. All 2" tubing.
The sleeve over the ally stubs on head was slightly larger tube. Slit with thin disk. Clamped and tig welded.
Made a proper snug slide fit.
Theres also a nitrile o ring in the groove on the inlet stubs.

Intake was made from 2" piecuts.

Will try post link to video of it running.
Currently sat in Newark airport on mobile

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.