Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok, I did a forum search and I'm getting mixed results...

what's the best tire to get? bias v radial? overall best choice?

metzler's seem to have the lead, but just curious what kind of wear and grip they are getting.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I'll be ordering another OEM tire for the rear (and Avon for the front). I've got 13k HARD miles with probably 40+ 1/4 mile passes and still decent tread. It sticks at the track and goes down the road nice. Just my $.02 thumb up

·
Registered
368 Posts
Great Grip, shorter lifespan

metzler's seem to have the lead, but just curious what kind of wear and grip they are getting.
Derek,
Had a set of Metzlers on a previous bike. They grip like crazy, but the price paid for the "sticky" is softer rubber so they wear faster, regardless of how you ride.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I really liked the Pirelli Night Dragon tires. Handled way better than the stock Dunlops. I have the Metzler on right now because I switched to a 200 rear tire and they had the right ratio. I put on over 20k miles per year on my bike so I go through plenty of tires. Never got anything close to 13k out of any of them. I'd love tips on how to do that!

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
that leads into my next question.... anyone have issues with 200 series tires on the rear and size do I need to get to not mess up the mileage and mph?

does it look any different?

·
Registered
113 Posts
i went with the dunlop d407 and d408. they are a HD exclusive tire. i read alot of good things about them on the vegas and kingpin. i like them alot. ... in my opinion the 200 tire on the stock wheel is not a good plan. i believe it will just make the tire taller.

·
Registered
17 Posts
that leads into my next question.... anyone have issues with 200 series tires on the rear and size do I need to get to not mess up the mileage and mph?

does it look any different?
You'll need to go with a 200/50/18. It's within a couple millimeters difference in diameter so it works perfectly. The 200 look really, really good and I'm liking how it feels as well. Bike turns and tracks great. thumb up

·
Registered
188 Posts
You'll need to go with a 200/50/18. It's within a couple millimeters difference in diameter so it works perfectly. The 200 look really, really good and I'm liking how it feels as well. Bike turns and tracks great. thumb up
can you post some pictures from the side and back?

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
What year is your bike. The wheels went .5" wider in 09. Previous to that change the 200 was not a good choice fro an aggressive rider as it actually put less rubber on the ground, and made transitions harder.

Best back tire IMHO is the D407, but it does say HD on the sidewall. It is a multi compound tire, and is made for a heavy cruiser.

·
Premium Member
294 Posts
Derek,
Had a set of Metzlers on a previous bike. They grip like crazy, but the price paid for the "sticky" is softer rubber so they wear faster, regardless of how you ride.
I second Metzlers. More expensive and wear faster but the extra grip/confidence is worth it.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I've been through one set of factory Dunlops,2 sets of Metz,now running Pirelli Night Dragons. So far I'm more than happy with the Pirelli's.That's just my 2cents. Just a side note,I'm not expecting more than 7-7500 miles out of the rear tire.

·
Registered
17 Posts
What year is your bike. The wheels went .5" wider in 09. Previous to that change the 200 was not a good choice fro an aggressive rider as it actually put less rubber on the ground, and made transitions harder.

Best back tire IMHO is the D407, but it does say HD on the sidewall. It is a multi compound tire, and is made for a heavy cruiser.
Ah, yes, I missed he has an '07. Mine's a '10. The tire does specify a 5.5" wheel.

·
Premium Member
1,181 Posts
I really liked the Pirelli Night Dragon tires. Handled way better than the stock Dunlops. I have the Metzler on right now because I switched to a 200 rear tire and they had the right ratio. I put on over 20k miles per year on my bike so I go through plenty of tires. Never got anything close to 13k out of any of them. I'd love tips on how to do that!
Weight is a big thing and also how fast you ride burns the tire up quick when the rubber gets hot. I always get off the bike and feel the tire for temperature to see how warm it is. If you carry a passenger a lot of times that extra weight strains the rubber and makes it run hotter. I am at 220 lb. and I have never went past 10,000 miles on a back tire, front up to 15,000.:p

1 - 13 of 13 Posts