Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 06 Premium... time for new tires... has Dunlops on it now factory sizes... was wondering what other options I have for tires? any way to fit a lil wider tire on the rear on the factory wheel without clearance issues? Also wondering if anyone out there has used the ceramic beads for balancing? Was wanting to get rid of the weights on thw wheels... Plus I am the STL area... looking to get my wheels chromed... but nowhere near here will do wheels.... tired of polishing them :)

Thank you in advance for any input or replies.

·
12,983 Posts
Don't know where STL is
There are chrome shops in California and I'm guessing around 600 bucks per will and you would half to put in new bearings.
As for a tire you only going to be able to go about a 1/4 inch more in width so who would know it was bigger
To really go big you would half to buy a wheel for a round a thousand dollars plus tire

·
Registered
96 Posts
Assuming you're in the St. Louis area....I suggest you do your research on chrome...there are a couple different processes that different chrome shops use and some shops do more steps in the chroming process than others. See if you can get any recommendations from people in your area and possibly see their work for yourself to try and save on shipping costs.
VJ is right at around $600/wheel to chrome! That's what's held me back so far.

I haven't used the beads first hand yet, but I will be when I install the new Metzeler's I bought (ME880 model 260 rear and 90 front). So far they seem to be the best handling/feeling replacement for our rides, and a little wider in back at 260 vs. 250 stock. Looking forward to getting them installed and finding out for myself.

- Joel

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
There is no one in the Saint Louis, Missouri area that does chrome plating on wheels... I was looking at the Metzelers but was not sure they would fit... and can anyone recommend a cheap place to buy them from ... I will be doing the labor of mounting them myself.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Just had new tires installed at Surdykes Motorsports, always ask for Teddy, he works on Victorys,cheers never had a problem with their service. They use dyna beads for balance. Have you tried St. Louis Plating, ask for Buddy, they chrome a lot of motorcycle parts, I ve had many things chrome there, do good work.cheers

·
Registered
227 Posts
If you have a 06 JP, you can go with a Metzer 260, the tire is better for leaning into corners, for the money you cant get any better than a Dunlop, they are $125 CHEAPER than a Metzler. I buy mine online from Motorcycle superstore for $180. Metzlers are over $300, to me they are not worth the added cost.thumb up

·
Registered
96 Posts
I can't find the online store I bought my Metzelers from right now but the front 90 was around $100, and the rear 260 was about $260.
I installed a new metzeler front on my last bike before I sold it (replacing a stock Dunlop) and it was a noticeable improvement.
One thing on chroming wheels, I was talking with a well known bike builder near me and he recommends against chroming polished wheels because too many times once you install the hub etc. back on the wheel it doesn't line up the way it used to. Despite this I'd still love to chrome my ness jagged's if I had the spare cash.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I was going to ask the same question. I have a Jackpot. Stock. (not Ness). I have a 250 rear and I think a 80 or 90 front. I'm good with the front tire. Just so I am correct. A 260 will fit the stock rim on the Jackport correct?

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
I was going to ask the same question. I have a Jackpot. Stock. (not Ness). I have a 250 rear and I think a 80 or 90 front. I'm good with the front tire. Just so I am correct. A 260 will fit the stock rim on the Jackport correct?
Yes, the 260 will fit fine thumb up

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
LILMAGS500 is correct, but the 260 Metzler actually looks skinnier than 250 Dunlop. Also the Metzler is AlOT more $...

·
Registered
87 Posts
the people that have used both. How is the look and performance between the Dunlop and the Metzeler? Is there any at all.

·
Registered
25 Posts
the people that have used both. How is the look and performance between the Dunlop and the Metzeler? Is there any at all.
Just replaced mine with the stock sized Dunlops at 9600 mi. So I really can't help you with comparing the two but there are many threads comparing them on other forums and from what I've read the Metz's are stickier but don't last near as long (can't get something for nothing).

I decided that getting the extra mileage and saving a little green was more important to me. Either way, after putting 500 miles on the new ones it still handles like a new bike. The difference between the ones that were on the wear marks and the new tires is night and day.

Plus, the Metz's are not as wide as the Dunnies and I like that fat tire! :) If I decide to go to the 300 I'll probably go with the Metz.

What's a post without pictures right? :)

Here's one of a tire comparison... I think I got it from another forum and was posted by KevinX, if so, thanks Kevin!

(The 250 is the Dunlop and the rest are Metz, as you can see, the 260 Metz has a rounder profile.)

And here's one of my JP on my homemade stand with the wheels off and to the HD dealer for mounting. I got both tires from RMATV for ~$280.00 to my door (in two days) and HD charged me $60 for the mounting. I run a 90/90 on front and neither tire took any balancing even though I bought some beads.

I know I didn't answer your question but I hope this helps anyway. :)

·
Registered
87 Posts
That helps a lot. I (not knowing). Assumed most tires that are 250 or 260 were the same width, regardless what manufacturer they came from. I learned something. My bike is getting close to 6K. The rear tire is still good. For now. But the front has a lot of wear on it. Not balled but can see the end of the tunnel for it. Was looking at ordering both just to make sure I have the other. I like the fat tire look. Not the only reason I went with the Jackpot but it did help my decision making a little. Now knowing a 260 tire from one company may not be as wide as a 250 from another helps me out immensely. Thank you.

PS. The best deals I have found online so far are from motorcyclesuperstor.com. If anyone wanted to know.

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
When I replace my back tire , it will include a new wheel and a "300" , no doubt about it.:D

·
Registered
87 Posts
Well. Since I learned something new today about size of tires form other manufacturing companies. Can anyone recommend any tires that will fit stock rims front and rear. Besides the dunlop tires i have on there now. Don't get me wrong. They are good tires. Just trying to broaden my horizons. And make a better decision on what direction I want to go. Please give me your pro's and con's.

PS. Glad I found this out before I ordered the tires.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Try Jake Wilson for tires, I found them to be the cheapest and they ship for free.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts