Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,872 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
No, not my beautiful 2012 gloss pearl white CCT. But on motorcycle magazines. Since Polaris murdered Victory, I just can't get into reading much of them. I subscribe(d) to several: Baggers, Rider, Motorcyclist, Cycle World, Motorcycle Consumer News, Road Rider etc. Some of the magazines are starting to get as thin as a pamphlet, in size and content. I'm not in the market for a new motorcycle as my next 'new' bike will probably be my current bike with more engine mods. I didn't renew MCN or Road Rider this time. If the others weren't so cheap I think I'd let them run out as well. Between social media and the forums, nearly everything I want is covered anyway.

I know it's wrong, but seeing some of the best Victory aftermarket companies advertise Polaris Indian stuff is a bit depressing. I know those companies got rear ended by Polaris even more than we did. Due to them having so much of their business tied to the Victory brand. So I fully understand they needed to make the pivot to Polaris Indian to stay in business.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Mark before you give up on the MC Mags, take a look Road Runner touring and travel. Dont know if you have looked one over before or not. They do some new bike test and reports. But every issue has an "off the beaten path" tour with maps. Might be finger lakes area of NY this issue and down in your neck of the woods next time.

·
Premium Member
8,992 Posts
I buy none any more, have a quick look through them in the shop for free , but unless theres something that really grabs me I dont waste my money.
Only mag I buy consistently is Australian Muscle Car , got all 99 issues from day one.
Published every 2 months.
Thing is with the internet I dont read much any more and theres a pile of them a foot high on my desk that I havent read cover to cover like I used to pre internet.
Internet junkie Ive become.

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
I still subscribe to Cycle World but I do it on the cheap. I usually do the 2 year subscription for $18 dollars or so and then at the end of two years I usually wait a month or two and subscribe again. It is funny because when the cycle world subscription is nearing its end they start sending you these "amazing deals" to keep the subscription going but it is usually for $25 for two years even though the leaflets in each magazine has new subscriptions for much less.

·
Premium Member
5,075 Posts
Motorcycle Consumer News and Rider, I subscribe to both of those.

Reactions: RICZ

·
Registered
4,091 Posts
This thread made me realize I don't have one single motorcycle rag subscription ....as much as I keep up with all things MC I don't get a magazine.... :confused:

Reactions: broggyr

·
Premium Member
4,901 Posts
I don't subscribe to anything on paper any more except 'THE HORSE -- Backstreet Choppers' because it's FUN. It's a bunch of back-yard mechanics throwing bikes together out of crap they have lying around the garage or on the cheap. All brands... they will have a CB-450 chopper in there or an old BSA. Of course lots of Harley stuff but not new stuff.

https://thehorsebc.world/

I wear their t-shirts and hoodies too... just because no one else will be wearing it...
https://thehorsebc.world/products/charlie-horse-pull-over-hoodie

For more serious reading there's Motorcycle Online... The people who sponsor this site. Other magazines are online now as well. Not that I want to read anything they say, but you can find out about what's new.

·
Registered
4,091 Posts
I don't subscribe to anything on paper any more except 'THE HORSE -- Backstreet Choppers' because it's FUN. It's a bunch of back-yard mechanics throwing bikes together out of crap they have lying around the garage or on the cheap. All brands... they will have a CB-450 chopper in there or an old BSA. Of course lots of Harley stuff but not new stuff.

I wear their t-shirts and hoodies too... just because no one else will be wearing it...

For more serious reading there's Motorcycle Online... The people who sponsor this site. Other magazines are online now as well. Not that I want to read anything they say, but you can find out about what's new.
Maybe I'm just old skool...but I have a problem with reading digital media while on the toilet..........

·
Registered
12,327 Posts
I ain't bailing on what I subscribe to. Being old school...OK, just old....I like to hold a paper magazine, and usually do my reading right after getting into bed. My favorite bike mags are those heavy with touring articles; Rider and Motorcyclist (I like their new format). They don't cost much either - Pretty Wife gets on those coupon and deal sites and often scores me free subscriptions, or ones for a mere pittance. Can't get deals on Road Runner, so I had to abandon that one - too expensive for me and besides, it concentrates on eastern US rides and expensive places to stay and eat.

·
Premium Member
2,347 Posts
I still subscribe to Easyrider. Over the passed couple of years they have been doing remakes of David Mann's art. It's not stapled in the magazine. So no holes in it.

Reactions: Chattanooga Mark

·
Premium Member
5,075 Posts

I used to get that one when I had my old Shovel.

I still subscribe to Easyrider. Over the passed couple of years they have been doing remakes of David Mann's art. It's not stapled in the magazine. So no holes in it.
I met David a lot of years ago and he signed one of his prints for me.

·
Premium Member
8,992 Posts
I used to have lots of Easyriders mags particularly the 45 , 61 , 69 , 74 , were prized issues for obvious reasons.
They were banned in the state I lived in at the time.
As was the movie Clockwork Orange.

·
Registered
426 Posts

The Horse is a great mag! That type of stuff is the best! I love playing with stuff from spare or different parts and it brings me back to my teens years and early 20's when I didn't have a pot to piss in and wanted to ride or drive something. The sh!t we did back then to be able to get around are some of the best memories I have bar none. My 1st HD was a shovelhead made from parts from about 4 other HD's...a real Frankenstein. But it moved and it took me places! Wrenched on that bastard every week too like the old Iron Head I had that I built up.

Hell my 1st 2 wheeler was an old Rupp frame I found in the trash, threw a 4 HP lawnmower engine in it, found a centrifugal clutch at a Honda dealer for 40 bucks ( back then at 12 years old....had to mow a LOT of grass to get that damn thing ), found some tires that fit the rims at a farm supply store for 7 bucks and took a test ride with a rag stuffed in the gas tank because the damn cap was 4 bucks I didn't have yet.

That stuff is just close to my heart.

·
Premium Member
2,347 Posts
I used to have lots of Easyriders mags particularly the 45 , 61 , 69 , 74 , were prized issues for obvious reasons.
They were banned in the state I lived in at the time.
As was the movie Clockwork Orange.
Clockwork Orange, I seen that movie at an out door show. My dates name was Pam. You start kissing that girl on the neck and her pants would immediately come off.

·
Registered
799 Posts
Clockwork Orange, I seen that movie at an out door show. My dates name was Pam. You start kissing that girl on the neck and her pants would immediately come off.
that's funny my date was exactly opposite...she'd start kissing my neck and my pants would immediately come off LOL

:wink

·
Premium Member
8,992 Posts
Id kiss my date on the pants and she would immediately come off!

Reactions: CanuckRob

·
Registered
12,327 Posts
Ah, those testosterone laden days when your car had bench seats and you took dates to see movies at the drive-in (aka passion pit, finger bowl). On the second date, you just parked somewhere remote.
Is Pam still available? Got her phone number?

·
13,262 Posts
I have forgot all about the old mags I once paid for. Haven't had a subscription in a fifteen years or more. Use to like In The Wind cause there was always someone you new in there. The last Mag I saw had so many adds in it I would forget about the bikes . Don't miss them

·
Registered
435 Posts

I loved reading the Horse in the 90s until the editor quit and started putting dudes on the cover. The writing from the staff is so funny. I think the editor came back awhile ago. Everyone should subscribe to the Horse because it really is great entertainment if you are a real Biker.

Motorcyclist / Abate / Cycleworld and now really there isnt much to keep up for me anymore unless I want to read about HD. And most of the time I dont. The 2017 2018 stuff sounds good but still, even if I wanted to pay a 10k premium for a HD emblem I would be thinking twice about doing it. The older stuff is acceptable at the right price- Easy in and Easy Ride out if necessary.

·
Premium Member
2,347 Posts
Ah, those testosterone laden days when your car had bench seats and you took dates to see movies at the drive-in (aka passion pit, finger bowl). On the second date, you just parked somewhere remote.
Is Pam still available? Got her phone number?
Haven't seen her in years.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts