Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
trying to install alloyed timing gear on my xc and can't get it to sit all the way in ?
Any suggestions

·
Premium Member
8,992 Posts
trying to install alloyed timing gear on my xc and can't get it to sit all the way in ?
Any suggestions
Is it lined up squarely on the keyway,
I took mine on and off a few times to be completely certain it was lined up correctly before putting a socket in place to allow me to tap it into place evenly.

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
Be careful not to damage the keyway ....

·
Premium Member
8,992 Posts
Be careful not to damage the keyway ....
Yeah be careful, ...mine was a bit reluctant to just slip on.
Maybe a dab of oil to lube it, or even warm it up a bit with a hairdryer or heat gun set on low.

Just how far is it on? If its started and slid down the shaft youll get a change in tapping noise when its seated in place.
Post a pic if in doubt...

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i will try tapping it on with a socket, I can only get it on about 3/4 of the way on by hand
Thanks for the suggestions

·
Registered
2,414 Posts
i will try tapping it on with a socket, I can only get it on about 3/4 of the way on by hand
Thanks for the suggestions
I'd only do that as a last resort. What happens if you can't get it all the way on once you start to tap it on. Then you will always wonder if it was all the way down or had some crap under it. At that point if you ever need it removed you will be using a puller and hoping it is still straight when you get it off. Something to be avoided if at all possible.

Double check that there isn't any old locktite anywhere then
clean the end of the crank with carb cleaner on a rag and paint it with black magic marker. Then slide the gear on slowly till it just stops, pull it back off and see if you can determine what's wrong.

I had to work mine on and off a few times till it finally seated completely. But sliding it on and off repeatedly finally freed it up and it did finally slide down all the way down. It was a little stressful but it in the end it went on and off just fine.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Mine also was very tight.
I spayed a little WD 40 then lined it up and slid it on.

·
Registered
784 Posts
When you get all that sorted out, be sure to clean the threads on the bolt and in the hole. Use Loc Tight on it and be sure the bolt seats to the gear before tightening. 17Ft/lb. Make sure the adjustment nuts are tight as well 15 ft/lb. Do not assume, and use a wrench to confirm this. Don't get freaky with it, both values are not that tight, but are plenty to do the job.

Several have reported the factory thread locker gathering in the bottom of the attachment hole and causing the bolt head not to seat.

Good luck

·
Registered
27 Posts
Make sure the adjustment nuts are tight as well 15 ft/lb.

When I installed mine, I was reluctant to torque the adjustment bolts to the above mentioned value. It felt as if the thread would not be able to even get close to this value. By pure chance I saw on Youtube that the torque value has been reduced by the manufacturer to between 5 - 7 ft/lb. Too many stripped adjustment bolts!

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
72 Posts
Make sure the adjustment nuts are tight as well 15 ft/lb.

When I installed mine, I was reluctant to torque the adjustment bolts to the above mentioned value. It felt as if the thread would not be able to even get close to this value. By pure chance I saw on Youtube that the torque value has been reduced by the manufacturer to between 5 - 7 ft/lb. Too many stripped adjustment bolts!

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
Been there:mad:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts