Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm sure the this is a really dumb question , but..

Looking at videos and pictures, it appears that this gear drives the cams. I suppose at 1/2 speed. But I can't see what drives the gear. What am I missing?

·
Registered
784 Posts
Not exactly sure what you are asking. The timing wheel is on the crank shaft. The crank also turns the chains that operate the cams, which in turn operate the valves. Pistons and such are a part of all the mix and the crank is what they are mounted to. The timing wheel is nothing more than a signal device for the spark.
This is the readers digest version, and the same with any engine that uses chains.

Is this what you were asking?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the links, they don't show what drives the timing wheel , though. I assume the wheel drives the cam chains. If its keyed to the crankshaft, what are the gear teeth for? Aren't cams usually driven at half the speed of the crank? The LLoyds wheel simply moves the gear teeth forward or back. Unless the teeth are driven by, or drive something, moving the gears relationship to its shaft would do nothing. I just don't get it. Its hard to explain.

·
Super Moderator
6,375 Posts
The timing wheel has a movable "notch" in it that the sensor reads, telling the engine when to fire the spark. The wheel doesn't drive anything, it just spins on the crankshaft spinning by the crank sensor. Picture a normal gear with a missing tooth; that is the notch that the sensor looks for.

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
It is really simple. The timing wheel is mounted directly on the end of the crankshaft. As it spins its position is read by a reluctor coil. If you examine the OEM timing wheel you will see a "missing" tooth. That missing tooth marks the crankshaft position for the engine control electronics. The variable timing wheel simply moves that gap around so the ECM sees a different crankshaft position than it would see with the OEM wheel. If you are interested in the after market adjustable timing wheel, Rylan Voss of the Vic Shop addresses it here.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t3_RjEdk5ZI

1 - 9 of 9 Posts