Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,837 Posts
Got Torque Tube and Bassani on my 010 Jackpot. Seems like timing is a little off. Lloyd's timing wheel time?
Have you got a tuner and had it tuned after those mods?

·
Registered
267 Posts
Tuning devices that directly change the ECU, such as the Maximus, are relatively new for the Victory bikes. Prior to the ECU type, the most popular tuning device was the Power Commander, with the most recent version being the "V" or 5 (PC-V.)

There is a limitation on the PC-V - it is not capable of making changes below a certain RPM (I think 2500.) The solution to the problem was to make an adjustable timing wheel that would allow timing to be manually changed. Note that the adjustable timing wheel can only change timing (and by a fixed amount), not air/fuel ratios - but it was better than nothing for the 0-2500 RPM range (the PC-V would be programmed to make all other changes above 2500 RPM.)

All of that being said, you don't just get a Maximus or PC-V and timing wheel. Those are tools that allow a dyno tuner make changes to your air/fuel mixture and timing all thought the RPM range.

You've changed the bike to add more air into the engine. But the ECU is programmed to only allow so much fuel. So right now your bike is running very lean, which is not good. You really need to get the bike professionally tuned - work with the tuner to determine if you go the Maximus or PC-V/timing wheel route.

·
Premium Member
13,309 Posts
I agree with WeekendRider but would add there are some decent canned tunes to be used with the PC-V, timing wheel, different free flowing exhausts, and Lloydz air filter. Cams too if you have switched them out.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Get it tuned

If you get a Maximus (or other direct tuning device) you will not need a timing wheel. You will need to get with a Professional Tuner to get it properly tuned. The original power commander is a scab over device that as mentioned doesn't tune the advance below 2500 rpms (and IMHO a unnecessary potential failure point in the future). My humble opinion is get a Maximus and get with Noel Martinez or Rylan and get it tuned. LMYR :wink

·
Premium Member
8,837 Posts
No tuner on it now. Hate to dump another grand into it.:frown
In that case you wouldve been better off leaving it stock.

How much do you value your ride?

It all amounts to nothing if its not properly tuned.

·
Registered
267 Posts
I have an autotuner (AT200) new in box i've never used. Supposedly that negates the need for a dyno tune.
That would be an option. But you'd still need to buy a PC-V and timing wheel. I'm not that familiar with the auto tune device but my understanding is that it builds a program as you ride and then you have to apply that program to the PC-V for it to change your timing and a/f. It's a process that you repeat over time - it takes awhile. If you go that route then as BBob said find a pre-made tune that is similar to what you've done to your bike and apply it first, then use the AT from there.

I would suggest that the Maximus is better technology and unless you can find a PC-V and timing wheel for a really good price, your money would be best spent going with the Maximus and a remote tune from someone who has experience with Victory engines.

·
Super Moderator
6,372 Posts
I have an autotuner (AT200) new in box i've never used. Supposedly that negates the need for a dyno tune.
The autotuner does what it's supposed to - tries to set the AFR to match the targets. Those targets are the biggest variable, however. The autotuner will try to set the bike to the target AFRs in the AFR table, but if those target AFRs aren't optimized for your setup, you'll be leaving a lot on the table. Also, the autotuner will only change the values by a certain percentage - if further adjustments are needed, it will require you accept the current trims before it tunes further. That, or you can increase (or remove) the tuning limit but that will open the door for tuning anomalies if something were to happen with the data stream.

Dyno tune is the best way. If a dyno tune is unavailable, the autotuner is a decent second choice. You might want to chat with someone like Rylan at The Vic Shop to get an idea of what the target AFRs should be...

·
Premium Member
1,572 Posts
I can help with both a Maximus and a complete remote tuning service. Www.noemtz.com

·
Super Moderator
6,372 Posts
I can help with both a Maximus and a complete remote tuning service. Www.noemtz.com
I don't know why I keep forgetting about this. The Maximus is a top choice. Autotune only after you can't dyno or go Maximus.
And, the autotuner needs a PCV anyway. It doesn't work on its own.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Problem solved. Totalled the bike. But, bought an 09 with PCV and timing wheel installed. Supposedly the bike is dyno-tuned, but it runs like crap, so I think I'll try the AT200 on it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts