Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm considering using VHT Nightshades or Plasti-Dip on the upper fairing wings of my XCT. I don't have any personal experience using either of these products but, I'm leaning more toward the Nightshades because I think I'll get the actual result I'm looking for with that vs the Plasti-Dip.

Suggestions or insight on this are welcome. :)

Attachments

·
Registered
78 Posts
I used plasti-dip on the back side of my windshield and like the results. I would try the dip first...you'll be in it for under $10 and if you don't like it, peel it off and go with something else.

·
Premium Member
1,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I used plasti-dip on the back side of my windshield and like the results. I would try the dip first...you'll be in it for under $10 and if you don't like it, peel it off and go with something else.
Good point, Mike. I forgot about that benefit of the Plasti Dip product. Thanks!

cheers

·
Premium Member
4,178 Posts
i did mine with the rustolium tint crap, did them really dark to hide the crappy coverage and streaks, the rustolium is junk threw away over half a can.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
69 Posts
Sounds interesting. Please post some pics, may have to do mine too :)

·
Registered
611 Posts
How bout just some window tint material? quality stuff won't fade or turn purple like the cheap stuff from autozone and you'll get a perfectly even tint.

Rule #1 with tint vinyl though is NEVER EVER EVER use glass cleaner with ammonia in it. That will turn even the best tint purple.

·
13,002 Posts
Window tint does not stick good to plastic and in time you'll have air bubbles.
If your going to do a smoke tint VHT has that tint for taillight. Think its called night shade

·
Premium Member
1,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i did mine with the rustolium tint crap, did them really dark to hide the crappy coverage and streaks, the rustolium is junk threw away over half a can.

Thanks for sharing your experience with the rustolium crap/junk. :D

·
Premium Member
1,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Registered
66 Posts
A buddy of mine used plastidip on the back side of the upper air controls. He said it took him a few coats, and a bit of trial and error to make it look good, however it was the first time he dipped.

The last time I looked at them they still looked good. Really matches the other black plastic on the XC well.

·
Premium Member
1,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
A buddy of mine used plastidip on the back side of the upper air controls. He said it took him a few coats, and a bit of trial and error to make it look good, however it was the first time he dipped.

The last time I looked at them they still looked good. Really matches the other black plastic on the XC well.
Yeah, I think I'm going to try the PD first and see how it looks. As another owner said earlier, I can peel it off if I don't like the look once I attach it back on my XCT.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
4,178 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Looks good. Definitely doing mine now. Should go nicely with my black cct. Thanks a bunch for the pics.

·
Premium Member
1,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)

·
Premium Member
1,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Looks good. Definitely doing mine now. Should go nicely with my black cct. Thanks a bunch for the pics.
No doubt about it, Larry! :cool:

·
Registered
236 Posts
True what is said about peeling Pdip. BUT here is my take. I have done both.....
I painted P Dip on the front of my vent wings on the fairing. Here is the problem...It is very slightly tacky. It is a different finish. Yes you can clear over it but it is different.
Then
I tried my homemade fork lowers with the Spray tint and I didn't like that very well either. If I could get it to work corectly I think this is the best option. They tell me very very very light coats. Did I mention very light?
Of the two, I like the potential that the tint spray has esp after seeing some of the members taillights done.
Anther thing, you can spray the back of the vent wings but you can't get it entirely. You will not be able to get the portion that the wing pivots on. Not sure how to say it but look, you'll see what I mean.
If you could get the P dip on the backs of the items being done then it looks shiny or glossy finish and the tackiness doesn't matter.

Just all my take on this so far.....I'm willing to try the spray tint again after learning a little more.

·
Premium Member
1,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
True what is said about peeling Pdip. BUT here is my take. I have done both.....
I painted P Dip on the front of my vent wings on the fairing. Here is the problem...It is very slightly tacky. It is a different finish. Yes you can clear over it but it is different.
Then
I tried my homemade fork lowers with the Spray tint and I didn't like that very well either. If I could get it to work corectly I think this is the best option. They tell me very very very light coats. Did I mention very light?
Of the two, I like the potential that the tint spray has esp after seeing some of the members taillights done.
Anther thing, you can spray the back of the vent wings but you can't get it entirely. You will not be able to get the portion that the wing pivots on. Not sure how to say it but look, you'll see what I mean.
If you could get the P dip on the backs of the items being done then it looks shiny or glossy finish and the tackiness doesn't matter.

Just all my take on this so far.....I'm willing to try the spray tint again after learning a little more.
Smoke,

Did you say "very light?" I got a good laugh reading that!

Thanks so much for all the insight on your project with the different products. I really appreciate it! I'm still thinking I'm going to give the PD a go first, just to know how it looks and feels.

cheers

·
Premium Member
4,178 Posts
redrocker mine was rustoleum, i dont suggest this product though, waste of $12

·
Premium Member
1,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

·
Registered
145 Posts
I did mine with the VHT niteshades, and don't recommend it. It chips off from rock chips/bugs, and gets lighter over time and gets a purpleish look to it.

A friend in town here a year ago told me how to dye plastic with Rit and something else,.. but I don't recall what it was. He did a helmet visor and it came out killer,.. leave it in for longer if you want it darker. Might be worth googleing to see if you can find out what it was he used with Rit,.. Im thinking it was vinegar but my memory sucks.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts