Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Premium Member
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK...this is more a rant than a bash....BUT, last week I stopped by my Victory dealer...who sells Victory, Yamaha, Honda, Kawasaki, etc. walked in...not a hi, get the hell out.....nothin'. Looked around a little, then left without buying anything...half because I was pissed about the indifference.
Today, a friend and I did a 300 mile round trip. Didn't have a destination, but ended up at Boulsberg Harley, outside State College, PA. Nope....didn't see Jerry Sandusky!

If you are in the area and looking for a cool dealership to visit....this is the place. It's a compound, with multiple buildings and a driving/learners course. In the main building, along with all the typical HD stuff is a collection of antique motorcycles hanging from the ceiling.....of course HD's, but also Indians, BMW's, Aerial's, sidecars, antique race cars..etc., etc. Very, very cool......and when we walked in the door....a pretty young thing behind the counter gave us a big "Hello, let me know if you need any help"... And a smile. Wow, what a novel idea....friendliness!

So, it's worth the trip if you are in the area. Most Vic dealers need to take a lesson there. The dealership close to me has great prices and selection, but that's where it stops.

So why do I rant.....because Vic's are great bikes, and they deserve a great sales experience. That goes for buying a bike, a set of spark plugs, clothing, or getting your bike serviced. Anyone want to front me the $$$$ to open a dealership. I guarantee I'll work hard to make it a world class operation, and a fun experience for anyone who comes by. After all that stuff is infectious....and guarantees success.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Most Vic dealers need to take a lesson there.
Really...? Have you been to "most" Victory dealers? There are 3 within a couple of hours of me and while Shoal Outdoor Sports is by far and away the best, all of them have good customer service. When I stopped by Arlen Ness a couple of weeks ago I got the very same treatment you spoke of at the HD dealership.

I think next time you ought to be a bit more specific and not generalize....

·
Premium Member
1,871 Posts
I've said it before and I'll say it again. I'm beyond blessed to have Randy's Cycle as my 'home' dealer. I stopped in their today and the Randy, the owner, Dave the salesman, Mike and Rod in parts all said 'hi Mark, good to see you'. The really neat thing is they were sincere, not just playing the part.

On the other hand, I have another Victory dealer iabout 4 miles from my house. The parts guy tried to make me out to be an idiot for asking if they had a 4.5 quart oil change kit. Needless to say, he didn't have a clue about anything CCT related and only had a few quarts of oil on the shelf anyway.

Back to the above. I'm REALLY blessed to have Randy's Cycle within 40 miles of my house. If not, I may not be on a Victory Cross Country Tour today.

As a side note, the Victory dealer in E. Peoria, IL knows their stuff as does the one in Terre Haute, IN, Tomahawk, WI, Plymouth, IN, Peru, IN and Sterling, IL. The one in Merriville, IN and Bettendorf, IA ... not so much.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
. Anyone want to front me the $$$$ to open a dealership. I guarantee I'll work hard to make it a world class operation, and a fun experience for anyone who comes by. After all that stuff is infectious....and guarantees success.
You had me right up until there brother. I believe a lot of the things I love most about motorcycling are still in me on account of I took Nancy Reagans advice when it come to owning bike shops. I just said no, more than once. I got a core group of buds that I have rode with for fifty years give or take, and although I may be lying about a couple of them, the truth for most is the ones that still love it either fiddled with running shops early and got out or never got tangled up in running them at all, especially "authorized" shops. I got friends been owners for years and they don't ride or talk bikes much. I get a chance to see them and we ride a little and they swear they miss it but no sooner I leave the machines go back on the floor.

May not necessarily ruin a man but it does tend to throw a dose of worry onto a otherwise carefree way of life.

·
Registered
784 Posts
If you happen to have a good Victory dealer, do everything you can to support them.
I have used one, they have pretty much ruined me to the brand. The other I have visited, I won't be back.
One more to try out, I'm not expecting much. Prices are pretty elevated, and from what I've seen, no one can do much with these things.(I know it is a reach and there have to be great ones, but I have yet to SEE one)
Not sure they are worth the prices they command. They do have an impressive facility though. FWIW

Cheers

·
Registered
403 Posts
Mountain Motorsports, Conyers, GA & Marietta, GA, both are awesome locales, nice people and great service, also Ride Away in Las Vegas, another great experience I've had

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
Been to MM in Conyers and they're a class dealership. I had my Hammer picked out there but another dealer beat their price and was closer. They were cool about it, and even said to let them know if I wanted any accessories- they'd give me a discount on them.

·
Premium Member
1,871 Posts
I failed to post my tips for a dealer:

1. ensure anyone who meets and talks to customers actually knows their stuff regarding the brand.

2. have fun and be enthusiastic about the shop, other departments and other staff members.

3. have common parts and especially accessories IN STOCK. I typically want to see, touch and/or hold an accessory before I hand over the money. Otherwise, I may as well order it on line at 2am from the place I find with the lowest overall price.

·
Premium Member
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, I guess it isn't fair to generalize here.....but I've been to a fair amount in my region. I'm glad several of you can call me on the carpet, because, generally...that has not been my experience. I bought the bike on my own, because of my own research and the fact that I really didn't want to join the HD club. I ride a lot. i knew what I wanted when I walked through the door. It has ben a great bike so far....6K plus miles in 4 months. I got a great deal at my local dealer or I wouldn't have laid down the cash. I can't say anything else....not overly friendly, not overly helpful, not even overly knowledgeable. I have been to 7 Vic dealers, and they can all take lessons from the HD guys. Why did I buy where I did? 2 reasons......best price and closest to me. My 7/13/13 HD visit and experience peompted me to post this. I'm taking down the dealership names provided, because Im glad to hear they are out there, and I want to make a point of stopping by sooner or later and seeing a great, customer oriented dealership that sells Vic. Pop, I'm waiting on a check from ya! And of course...your first oil change is on the house! And did I mention free coffee..........

·
Registered
236 Posts
They have a big place there for sure. Nice nice buildings, log cabin type for those who never been.

BUT did you run 1/4 mile down the road to the Victory dealership? Bestline Powersports in literally right there too.

LOL, I know the area very well. Bestline is my local dealer. Went in and browsed around Gov's Harley dealership before my XC purchase. You were about 25 miles from me. Dang it yell next time.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
my dealer is the one in sterling il. douglas and frye motorsports.
sometimes mark is running around like a chicken with its head
cut off busy, but he,his wife ,and staff up front are always super
friendly.rich, in service ,is the other owner,and and has worked on
vics from the start. people bring all brands into the shop for
service. its a small hometown family run operation.

·
Registered
837 Posts
One of the main reasons I bought the Vic is so I don't have to visit the dealerships. Yes I do have to order almost everything online. My Vic dealers are EBay, Amozon, and Witchdoctors. Takes a week from them or dealer either way. I learn more about my bike here than the dealer knows.

·
Premium Member
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
They have a big place there for sure. Nice nice buildings, log cabin type for those who never been.

BUT did you run 1/4 mile down the road to the Victory dealership? Bestline Powersports in literally right there too.

LOL, I know the area very well. Bestline is my local dealer. Went in and browsed around Gov's Harley dealership before my XC purchase. You were about 25 miles from me. Dang it yell next time.
Well, that's good to know. No, didn't get there. In fact, I didn't know there was a Vic dealer so close. I was with a Harley buddy who stumbled across the HD dealership a couple weeks ago and wanted me to see it. Came back home via I-99. WOW!!! Beautiful drive. We ride through PA a good bit. I'll holler next time we are in the area. Thanks for the heads- up. thumb up

·
Registered
53 Posts
I had a similar experience with the closest Dealer to me. I walked in to look at the 2012 cross country, no one asked me if they could help me, I walked up to and around the four bikes they had was intent on getting some information. I was basically ignored as if I was invisible. Really kinda pissed me off. I walked out with the intention of never coming back to that dealership. They've since changed owners so I may stop by sometime. I haven't yet. I bought a used 2011 with low miles and nary a scratch. Pretty near perfect! I found it a about 60 miles further away by looking on Cycle Trader. They lost a sale!

·
Premium Member
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Maybe I should change the topic slightly to:
Let us know if you have an exceptional Victory dealer in you neck of the woods. Hey we all want to know!

·
Registered
236 Posts
Well, that's good to know. No, didn't get there. In fact, I didn't know there was a Vic dealer so close. I was with a Harley buddy who stumbled across the HD dealership a couple weeks ago and wanted me to see it. Came back home via I-99. WOW!!! Beautiful drive. We ride through PA a good bit. I'll holler next time we are in the area. Thanks for the heads- up. thumb up
Look forward to it. How long does it take for you to get to Boalsburg? Got 5 friends with Vics and lots of others with bikes period.. whenever possible we get a group of at least 4-5 and head out somewhere. We took some new riders to Flight 93 memorial 2 weeks ago. Must be somewhere in your direction if your using 99.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
My dealer's Action Motorsports in Idaho Falls, and if you can't get a salesman to acknowledge you it's because THEY'RE ALL BUSY. I swear every time I go in there every sales guy I see is with a customer or processing a sale or financing. It's insane.

Dayton, who sold me my XR, always makes a few minutes for us, and we almost pulled the trigger on a '13 Vegas last weekend. I wasn't comfortable taking it without having sold my wife's Shadow first, but Dayton was cool with that and he knows I'll be back to do business with him when finances are in place to do so.

A couple of the parts guys are a little surly, but nothing out of the ordinary (I think it's in the job description for any parts guy anywhere) but the service writer is pretty good. Only thing that worries me is I'm not real sure their suspension guy who did my left fork was properly brushed on on Victory belt adjustment procedure.

·
Premium Member
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Look forward to it. How long does it take for you to get to Boalsburg? Got 5 friends with Vics and lots of others with bikes period.. whenever possible we get a group of at least 4-5 and head out somewhere. We took some new riders to Flight 93 memorial 2 weeks ago. Must be somewhere in your direction if your using 99.
It's about a 2 1/2 hr.trip up to your neck of the woods. Came up 522 to 26N. Friday a friend & I are headed in the other direction. Heading to Marion, VA to ride the "Back of the Dragon". It should be a 700+ mile day. Just found it on the net while surfing for places to ride. My wife just started a new job and doesn't have much vacation yet. I have been at mine for quite a while, so I have lots built up. Therefore....this is a riding summer. Friday is an open invitation.

Guess I should try to keep this on topic. My local dealer is Ridersvile Cycle in Berkley Springs,WV. When it comes to great prices they get 5 stars. Based on my experiences so far.....that's pretty much where it stops. The day I bought my bike, I actually had to go up to the owner and tell him I wanted to buy the bike....after waiting for about 20 minutes for someone to come over and help me. It was a Wednesday....the end of February......meaning.....not crowded. He said OK, then the phone rang. He picked it up, then looked up at me and asked if I could go find his wife in the building next door to write it up....No Joke! I got a bunch of accessories when I bought the bike. All but one had to be ordered. No one ever called to tell me they were in. I drove up there (45 miles) 2 weeks later on a Saturday....they were busy that day.....waited a half an hour at the parts counter to ask if they were in. Had a problem with the cruise control when I bought the bike. It didnt work. The Vic mechanic only works on Saturdays. He was nice and made arrangements to fix it, then told me that he would do the first service free, but didnt have time to do it that day. He said the dealership did that. Funny, no one said anything the day I bought the bike about that. Called to make the service appointment.....got...he's only in on Saturday's....me...can you put me on his schedule.....answer...yeah.....me....when will that be......answer....youll have to talk to him. Didn't hear anything come Saturday, so I drive up there again. Fortunately for me he did it that day, and I didn't have to drive back again. I have done most of my own work on my Kawasaki...including replacing an engine (long story...don't ask....my fault....but it did have 50k miles on it). Looks like I'm gonna be a Vic wrencher, too.

·
Registered
336 Posts
There are a lot of comparisons to Harley dealers because for the most part, the Harley dealers do it well and are masters at marketing.

This is because in the early 90's, Harley Davidson literally wrote the book on motorcycle marketing. Those of us who rode Harleys before that, don't always remember Harley dealerships as the cuddly fun places they are now filled with every officially licensed knick knack they can think of. T-shirts, when available, were purchased in order to show support to the owner who 9 times out of 10 was the guy who would pop out of nowhere with a shitty attitude. Still, I never spent money at a dealer who forgot that fact and they were also loyal to their customers.

When Harleys started to become so popular in the early 90's, Harley's marketing department came up with a plan for all of the franchise owners to update. Move close to an interstate, buy a bunch of billboards, have a building that is a certain size with X amount dedicated to marketing, mechanics go through Harley certified programs, clerks and sales staff do the same. A ton of money was spent on the program, many dealers faded away and some stormed away. The point is though that Harley made the dealers comply or told them to go away. Those that did, generally did well for themselves because Harley pushed the lifestyle and it worked. Grandma would go into a Harley dealership to buy a shirt.

There isn't a motorcycle company in the world that can match the marketing genius of Harley, so the dealers have a lot riding on a consistent, friendly atmosphere. Corporate keeps them on a tight leash but it isn't cheap to do this.

·
Premium Member
1,018 Posts
Interesting Thread .. Been to quite a few Victory Dealers when on the Road, and are a few will leave neutral as if they didn't have time to say hello or at least wave, I didn't have time to look around or spend any money .. Ones that stand out to me are Gainesville Polaris which fortunately is close by and where bought my XC .. 2 Others are Volusia Motorsports in New Smyrna Beach, FL and Greesons Powersports in Hot Springs, AR ..

1 - 20 of 40 Posts