Victory Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious if any one would know why at 45-50 mph my gunner starts shaking, not bad but enough that i can notice it, wondering if my balance weight in my tire fell off or?

·
Premium Member
15,083 Posts
Just curious if any one would know why at 45-50 mph my gunner starts shaking, not bad but enough that i can notice it, wondering if my balance weight in my tire fell off or?
Sometime when a tire wears it wears in such a way that it can throw the balance off due to how it was made. Good time to check bearings too.

Sometimes a rear vibration can feel like it's in the front.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sometime when a tire wears it wears in such a way that it can throw the balance off due to how it was made. Good time to check bearings too.

Sometimes a rear vibration can feel like it's in the front.
Tires are basically brand new i thought it could have been the weight fell off the rim or to much air in my tire.

·
Premium Member
15,083 Posts
Tires are basically brand new i thought it could have been the weight fell off the rim or to much air in my tire.
Occasionally a bad new tire happens or like you said; a weight was thrown.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I use balancing beads in my Judge. They seem to work OK but there are some drawbacks, such as if you are not careful, some of the beads can stick in the valve stem and allow air to leak out slowly. It happened to me for the first time a week or so ago. I always check the pressure in both tires before riding and everything checked out fine, but about 10-15 miles down the road my bike seems to be acting and handling unusual and my first thought was I must have a nail or screw in the rear tire. I stopped when I had an opportunity to park safely and noticed that the tire was about half inflated. I figured I had a nail etc. I could not find it but I always carry a can of Flat fix in my saddle bag so emptied it in the tire and it came up to almost full. Got home and aired up the tire to 40 # which is what I carry on my rear tire. I have a compressor at home. Next day I went out and checked the tire and it still had 40#. I put the bike on a jack and checked the rear tire several times and could find no nail or object. So I figured it must be beads in the valve stem. Since the beads will not work with flat fix in the tire, I had to pull the tire and clear it out completely and remount it. I had some extra beads on hand so put them in, and it has not lost any air since. Another thing to keep watch on.

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
I use the beads also. They make a valve core with a screen to prevent the rear occurrence of the beads getting stuck. I only check the pressure with the valve stem on the bottom. The beads would then be on bottom of tire. I also invested in a pair of TPMS, so rarely do I have to put a gauge on them now.

·
Registered
2,281 Posts
Please help me to understand why checking the pressure with the valve stem on the bottom will prevent beads from getting stuck in the valve mechanism. I have never used them but my mental image is that they settle to the bottom of the tire when the bike is stopped so wouldn't it be better to test the air pressure with the valve stem at the top of the tire or, at least, as close to the top as you get it while still being able to reach the stem.

·
Registered
2,281 Posts
That is a tire pressure monitoring system. Newer cars are required to have them and you can buy aftermarket ones that fit on the valve stem as a cap and interface with an app on your phone. They are great. Takes 10 seconds to check tire pressure before a ride rather than 5 minutes.

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
Please help me to understand why checking the pressure with the valve stem on the bottom will prevent beads from getting stuck in the valve mechanism. I have never used them but my mental image is that they settle to the bottom of the tire when the bike is stopped so wouldn't it be better to test the air pressure with the valve stem at the top of the tire or, at least, as close to the top as you get it while still being able to reach the stem.
Because the beads are on bottom. They are less likely to be sitting where the valve is. I think my XCT only uses 1.2 oz of beads in rear. Also I installed "T" type valve stems. So my TPMS caps sit on top and the "service" port is horizontal when I check or add air.

·
Registered
236 Posts
I must admit that I have difficulty getting my head around the concept of these balancing beads. How do the beads migrate to what is supposedly the lightest part of the tyre? Would they not just gravitate to the point of the tyre that is furthest from the rim, given that tyres aren't perfectly round?

Maybe the use of beads is just something that hasn't really caught on in Australia as yet. I don't know of any of my riding friends that use them, and I've never used them either so I won't say they don't work. I'd just be interested to see the science behind them.

·
Registered
1,227 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,083 Posts
Tire Pressure Monitoring System. On bikes it's frequently a cap on the valve stem that reads the tire pressure and sends that info to a display module for you to read.

·
Registered
685 Posts
Dyna Beads! Have at least 75K miles experience with them and they work. Tires do not wear evenly and consequently the dynamic balance of the wheel/tire is negatively impacted. Dyna Beads solve that problem by continuously dynamically balancing the tire/wheel. Found the the tires wear more evenly and minimize any cupping.

·
Premium Member
2,814 Posts
I must admit that I have difficulty getting my head around the concept of these balancing beads. How do the beads migrate to what is supposedly the lightest part of the tyre? Would they not just gravitate to the point of the tyre that is furthest from the rim, given that tyres aren't perfectly round?

Maybe the use of beads is just something that hasn't really caught on in Australia as yet. I don't know of any of my riding friends that use them, and I've never used them either so I won't say they don't work. I'd just be interested to see the science behind them.
I don't understand why, but they work.

Reactions: Prestaged
1 - 15 of 15 Posts