Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have a 2011 Victory XR that I'm looking at changing things up a little bit. A big trend currently is going to a big wheel up front in diameter. I'm looking at reversing that with a wider tire but smaller diameter. Think of the wheel proportions of the Gunner and Highball.

So my questions are:

1) Anyone know the impact this would have on handling?
2) Anyone done this and have pics?
3) Anyone know what size I can get with a stock fork or would I need to adjust that?

·
Premium Member
1,872 Posts
No idea except to report that I installed a 160/60 front tire on my oem CCT rim 16K miles ago. I love the look and the handling and can't imagine going back to the original size. Plus it's a bigger front mod that doesn't cost any extra money! Love that aspect of it as well.

·
Registered
2,699 Posts

·
Registered
4,091 Posts
I have to agree, a fat front tire looks muscular and mean on the XC.....No need at all to go to a smaller rim.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info. It's good to see it's been long term, so I'll follow up on that. I'm looking at doing that and drag bars. It'll look a bit different than most XRs out there, I'm sure.

·
Registered
4,091 Posts

·
Registered
427 Posts
I've experimented with different tire sizes on every bike I've owned, except my current XR. The fatter front tire will definitely affect the handling. It will take more effort to get through the twisties for sure. Lane changes and highway offramps will also feel much different. This being said, you just get used to it and it becomes the new normal after about 500 miles or so. I'll be interested to see a pic once you decide....Ride on bros.....:ride:

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
get used to it

tyres aspect ratio as well as size + weight surely affect handling! being a part of the suspension radials ride better as sidewalls flex more + this enhances the traction as well. lower sidewalls are stiffer + handle better but ride harder where as tractor tyres aka bid sidewalls ride softer + hurt handling. the tyre + wheel weight has big effects as this rotating weight must be accelerated as well as stopped, more weight requires more go + stopping power hurting performance a bit + mpg's as well. the tyres profile aka flatter or more rounded effects turn in a lot! i removed my long wearing stock dunrocks on my 13 hammer for sportier shaped + lighter night dragons for a very noticeable increase in quick handling + love them, of course they wear faster with their softer, stickier rubber. increasing or decreasing tyre diameter up front can slow or quicken steering a bit,all tyres are a compromise + of course theres the looks car tyres + incorrectly sized tyres are mounted for a certain look or very high mileage, as always its your choice to live with!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts