Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a little upset about the cupping I got on my front tire from the 4000 mile ride I did over from 7/30 to 8/4. I had 38 lbs of air in the front tire and still got cupping. Checked it this morning for presure and it was setting at 37.5 lbs. I gues the roads in Colorado, Wyoming, Montana, and South Dakota are way worse than the ones here in Indiana. I would never have expected that back road we road out of Fort Collins,Co, the road over the beartooth and bighorn mountains would be so hard on it. The rest of the time was on Super Slabs. Oh well I guess. Be interested to see how it feels around here. i never noticed while riding one bit. The guy with me saw it at a fuel stop about 200 miles from home. I just want it to make it the rest of the season. Planning on a front wheel change over the winter.

·
Premium Member
195 Posts
Make sure you have a good gauge. Most of the pencil type gauges are very inaccurate.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
it is a good gauge. i dont use the pencil type for anything. been usung this same gauge for many a year.

·
Premium Member
195 Posts
I'm sure I will get flamed for this . For me I have to run At least 39psi then I don't get cupping in front tire. Usually run 40 psi.

·
Registered
329 Posts
What tire are you running? I typically run 40-42 psi in the front tire. Anything below 40 psi I tend to get cupping. The only exception was when I ran the Avon Cobra's. The front tire cupped even with the higher pressures.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It is a metzler. i thought about running more PSI in it, but went with what the owners manual said. Now I wish i would have ran the 40-42 PSI in it.

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
I just did a whole thread on this and after lots of research , I am inflating my tires to the TIRE MANUFACTURERS RECOMEDATION and NOT the bike manufactures settings , the tire co. are 3-5 lbs more then the bikes , and by all rights should cure most of the cupping issues ... Mine are so bad , my F^*king tires look square . I feel your pain , and the noise and low speed handling SUCKS ! I kept having trouble in low speeds last week with Mama on the back , I almost dropped the bike 2-3 times ... I thought I was having a stroke or some other neurological issue , come to find out it is my heavily deformed tires .:mad:

·
Registered
329 Posts
Yeah, the air pressure in the owners manual is there for the softest ride, not the best tire wear. I typically run 42psi up front and 40psi in the rear no matter what tires I'm running. If I keep the pressure above 40psi up I don't get any cupping and I can get 20,000 miles out of a set of tires.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
yep i will go by tire from now on.

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
My concern here in the south is the extreme heat we are getting. Watching my tires closely and running right under 40 psi. Very happy with the wear I'm seeing on the rear dunny D417.

Really surprised to see 8,000 so far on the front cheapo Kenda. About time to get a new one. I do believe I can get a couple thou out of the rear before getting a new one.

I also agree that you need to be careful with the air gauges you choose. The cheap ones just won't do.

·
Registered
12,329 Posts
When running a different tire, I contact the tire mfr for their pressure recommendation and have never been steered wrong. The only times I got cupping was when I adhered to the bike mfrs recommendations. Yes, the tire mfrs are usually much higher, especially Metzler's. My highly experienced tire man sez 40 front, 42 rear for my Cobras. I did the same for the original E3s and had no cupping and great mileage, but did have incurable balance prob's. Love the Cobras.

·
Premium Member
6,232 Posts
I just did a whole thread on this and after lots of research , I am inflating my tires to the TIRE MANUFACTURERS RECOMEDATION and NOT the bike manufactures settings , the tire co. are 3-5 lbs more then the bikes
Ha good one, so it is stated on the manufactures website what pressure to run ?? Are you running
F=42
R=40
Or different pressure ?

·
13,262 Posts
guys keep in mind some are talking about radials and some are talking bias ply

·
Premium Member
539 Posts
This is a case of YMMV, literally and figuratively. I have the Avons (in 23" front size) and got cupping around 4K as well. I ran 40 lbs like a religion. I contacted Avon and the tech on the phone said 36 lbs (??!!). I have since lowered it and have no signs of cupping, but only have 2K since mount. So many factors come into play, roads, loads, riding style, that I don't think there is a "perfect" pressure.
Time will tell...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts