Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I came across this and thought it was interesting, especially for guys running tubes in their tires:

http://velonews.competitor.com/2010/01/news/cyclocross/technical-faq-tire-sealants_102346

"Sealants can be poured into a tubeless tire when mounting it, or they can be injected through the valve of a tube or tubeless tire."

"If a sealant is used in a tube tire that subsequently gets a puncture, you must remove the penetrating object or it will flex in the tire, continually un-sealing the hole and shredding the tube."

Sounds like it might provide a reasonable, low cost insurance policy.

·
Registered
173 Posts
My only concern would be balance. Tire slime works great in tractor tires, but you will be moving at significantly higher speed. The slime will eventually redistribute all through the tire, but depending on how long bike sits and temp, could take a little whole to redistribute, causing an possibly dangerous unbalanced condition. Just my thoughts.

·
Premium Member
5,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My only concern would be balance. Tire slime works great in tractor tires, but you will be moving at significantly higher speed. The slime will eventually redistribute all through the tire, but depending on how long bike sits and temp, could take a little whole to redistribute, causing an possibly dangerous unbalanced condition. Just my thoughts.
Yeah, I've read that the Slime has chemicals that harm the wheel over time, not that that would be a problem in a tube. But there are several other providers of different kinds as was stated in the article I linked.

Some goos are latex based and some use fiber laced liquids. If you read some of the maker's web sites, they are very light, don't require a lot, and coat the outer diameter of its container in a very few revolutions. And it is more like a gel that adheres there unless left to sit for a very long period of time. But even if it does gather back into liquid at the bottom after some time, a few revs and its supposedly evenly dispersed again.

Personally, I'd be afraid to stray to far from civilization on tube tires. I'd sure like to see a demo of this stuff in a tube. May change my mind.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Saddlebag, I read article and my greatest concern is differences in speed in a bicycle vs. motorcycle. They also talk about periodically cleaning out the sealant as it's water or glycol base dry and become ineffective. Sounds like work to drop tire to clean sealant to ensure it works. You'll already be there to put the new tire on. I do see how this could be appealing for a tire puncture occurring while on the road. This would help you get somewhere to stop and make permanent repair/replacement. I believe a tpms would be of equal help in identifying a flat while riding, and infinitely less work to maintain.

·
Premium Member
5,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Saddlebag, I read article and my greatest concern is differences in speed in a bicycle vs. motorcycle. They also talk about periodically cleaning out the sealant as it's water or glycol base dry and become ineffective. Sounds like work to drop tire to clean sealant to ensure it works. You'll already be there to put the new tire on. I do see how this could be appealing for a tire puncture occurring while on the road. This would help you get somewhere to stop and make permanent repair/replacement. I believe a tpms would be of equal help in identifying a flat while riding, and infinitely less work to maintain.
The TPMS might make a good goo companion.

One part of the article that I pasted stated that the object had to be removed to prevent it from ripping the tube. If you watch some of the demos with this stuff, as a nail goes in, the goo seals around it pretty quick. If it lost enough air during this time, the TPMS might alert one to check for trouble.

Without a TPMS, if you picked something up in the tire and the goo seals the tube, you may not realize the tire has been damaged and continue riding thereby damaging the tube beyond repair anyway.

Screw it, I'll stick with mags, tubeless tires, a tire patch kit, and a compressor. thumb up

·
Registered
12,320 Posts
Just installed a set of Avon Cobras. I removed the wheels and took them to my favorite shop where they removed the E3s that had Ride-On in them. Sure enough, the goo was on the rims and had to be cleaned off. Although he recommended it to me, Mark, the shop owner, now has his doubts about Ride-On. Customers, including me, who go over 70 mph frequently, complained of imbalance and some said it didn't seal around a puncture. Now he's back to recommending Dyna-Beads and I had them installed. Got to take the bike out for a ride and get her over 70. Wow! Smooth! Even before I put the Ride-On in the E3s, they were never smooth running and the Ride-On helped, but not over 70. I'm lovin' my Cobras already.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I use copper BB's (similar to DynaBeads) to balance the tires in my truck, works great. They are kinda fluid, like the goo would be. I regularly run highway speeds as well.

·
Registered
283 Posts
I put ride-on in the tubed tires on my 900 Vulcan, because my friend, that owns the Harley shop was praising the balancing and puncture resistance properties. He said he puts it in all the tires he installs! I didn't notice any difference after the ride-on. Have not tested the puncture sealing properties, but it does offer some peace of mind. The 9 does not like high speed, so I can't say what happens at 70+. Don't think all use it in the Vic, as I can't seem to keep it under 70mph!!

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Here are some observations from more than a decade in the automotive tire business:

sealant can indeed cause an unbalanced condition. I learned that in my early days trying in vain to spin balance a tire for a very long time before I finally ended up telling the customer I couldn't get it to zero out, and he admitted he'd put Fix-a-Flat (specifically that brand) in it.

They do work. In fact, they can work so well that when you take the tire in to get it repaired, the tire tech might never find the puncture if you've removed whatever made the hole.

Slime sort of gels and does so fairly quickly, but it would still take days to dry out. Fix-a-flat can take weeks.

They can corrode alloy and steel wheels. The steel rusts, but that's not too big a problem. Alloys however can have chrome plating or clearcoat start to peel, which can result in constant bead leakage.

Tire techs the world over curse you enthusiastically if you don't share with them that you've put a sealant in the tire, and they manage to get it all over themselves, their tire machine, and the shop floor.

I cannot speak to its effectiveness in a tubed tire since I just don't get many innertubes crossing my path, but the advice about removing the foreign object from the tire/tube is sound reasoning, and I don't see why a viscous sealant like Slime couldn't get the job done.

All that said, I have used it, I will use it again if need be, because sometimes that's what it takes to get on up the road and get the tire repaired or replaced.

·
Registered
12,320 Posts
I put ride-on in the tubed tires on my 900 Vulcan, because my friend, that owns the Harley shop was praising the balancing and puncture resistance properties. He said he puts it in all the tires he installs! I didn't notice any difference after the ride-on. Have not tested the puncture sealing properties, but it does offer some peace of mind. The 9 does not like high speed, so I can't say what happens at 70+. Don't think all use it in the Vic, as I can't seem to keep it under 70mph!!
I posted virtually the same thing back when my tire man recommended Ride-On. Now he doesn't and is thinking of getting it out of his shop because of customer complaints.
Tang, do you live near Old Emigrant Hill Road?

·
13,251 Posts
I have ride on in my tire and when its time for new tire I'm going to drill some holes in it to see if it works.
Sure hope so

·
Registered
283 Posts
I posted virtually the same thing back when my tire man recommended Ride-On. Now he doesn't and is thinking of getting it out of his shop because of customer complaints.
Tang, do you live near Old Emigrant Hill Road?
RICZ, You seem to be awfully familiar with my stompin grounds!! Raised on the Rez!! I have rode scooters up Old Emigrant Hill since I was 12 years old. I'm between Dead Man's Pass and Poverty Flats on the breaks of squaw crick. If you get this direction, I'd take ya thru Tollgate, to Enterprise, and up to Joseph! Now yer talkin Gods country!! Beautiful ride! ya need to watch for deer and elk, but very few cars. Some of the largest elk in the country are in the Imnaha area. If yer into that. I know a lot of valley folks aren't, but back in the day, me and my old man took some big ones out of there. You must have been here, you know the roads.

·
Registered
12,320 Posts
I wouldn't mind pairing up with you Tang, and having you show me some of those back roads. I've ridden some, but maybe not all. You are so right, that is God's Country. I never hunted, I have a great appreciation for it as it serves the same purpose as forest management. There are super roads in the area south and west of Pendleton too. Ya go miles without seeing a structure, yet there are continual curves. I love Oregon, its our government I can't take. When the Rain Festival is over on this side, I'll saddle up and call your name. Incidentally, isn't it locally referred to as Old Cabbage Hill?

·
Premium Member
547 Posts
Just installed a set of Avon Cobras. I removed the wheels and took them to my favorite shop where they removed the E3s that had Ride-On in them. Sure enough, the goo was on the rims and had to be cleaned off. Although he recommended it to me, Mark, the shop owner, now has his doubts about Ride-On. Customers, including me, who go over 70 mph frequently, complained of imbalance and some said it didn't seal around a puncture. Now he's back to recommending Dyna-Beads and I had them installed. Got to take the bike out for a ride and get her over 70. Wow! Smooth! Even before I put the Ride-On in the E3s, they were never smooth running and the Ride-On helped, but not over 70. I'm lovin' my Cobras already.
I must be in the minority with Ride-On. I have ridden and continue to ride above and close to triple digits and have had zero issues with balance. I have also had several punctures in my rear tire that were sealed. They were so well sealed in fact, that I didn't even know I had punctures until I did my next inspection.

As a caveat, I do use a little more than is recommended because it is impossible to get all of it out of the tube.

·
Premium Member
5,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I have ridden and continue to ride above and close to triple digits
Doesn't that make your knuckles hurt? About 20 miles of 80 mph down a freeway without a windscreen and I start getting worried my hands are going to fall off the bars. I lean into the wind and make a conscious effort not to white knuckle the grips, but it doesn't seem to help.

Anyway, I think using that stuff has shown some value in tubeless tires. Be nice to know which products contain additives that degrade the rims though. Lucifer's experience with them degrading rims to the point of having bead sealing issues is reason enough for me to leave it along. Besides, I've got room for a patch kit and compressor. But since all these manufacturers keep giving us 1930s technology spoke wheels at 201x prices, it'd be nice to know if there is anything we could do to make the old tube technology a little safer.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
I'm running a repaired rear on my company truck. It had a real slow leak that I couldn't find but fixed with some kind of goo. I think it was Slime but really all I cared when purchasing was that it was TPS friendly. I have no intention of having it repaired further. Routinely I lug around more than a ton of crap in the bed and a couple months later it holds air fine. If it goes again, new skin. Thing is I have three other wheels and a spare if that one goes south so no worries.

I won't use goo or miracle elixer on the bike. If it leaks I'll plug it and worry about it until I can get the wheel off and put new rubber on it. Riding sucks when it causes worry. For a couple of three hunnert I can erase that worry and have new rubber too. No brainer. I might be convinced that having a can of something on the bike JIC has merit except that I have cleaned up messes made by liquids and aerosols that got loose in my bags in the past. Another worry that I don't invite.

My inclination is to believe that pellets and whatnot can correct balance issues but that typically falls under the "Really?" clause of my implied contract with tire and rim manufacturers in the 21st century. I don't recall the last bike I had that displayed pronounced tire imbalance, wheel weights or not, but I bet it had tubes and probably points and a kicker. I have lost wheel weights numerous times off of wheels and if I didn't find the stickum whilst cleaning I would have never known. Bike wheel balance is just not a concern to Pop unless it affects performance.

I think when considering your tire health there are better sources of insight and perspective than a bicycle rag. Motorcycles and bicycles share a sameness in amounts of tires but after that all similarities fade. Besides Pop is just naturally predisposed to ignore the ruminations of a bicyclist on general principle.

I swear SB that you do this stuff to just make me take an extra BP stabilizer. Last week it was motorcycle reviews from the safety nazis at Consumer Reports, this week it's bicyclists defining quality tire sealants. Next week I'l be looking for a comparo on motorcycle riding attire from The Village People.

·
Premium Member
5,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I swear SB that you do this stuff to just make me take an extra BP stabilizer.
Aww geez Pop, I hope you really don't take this banter all that seriously. Anyway, you'll get a break next week as I'll be busy ensuring Romney's money is safe from pesky IRS agents. In the mean time, you may want to see what you think of my new riding outfit.

·
Registered
283 Posts
I wouldn't mind pairing up with you Tang, and having you show me some of those back roads. I've ridden some, but maybe not all. You are so right, that is God's Country. I never hunted, I have a great appreciation for it as it serves the same purpose as forest management. There are super roads in the area south and west of Pendleton too. Ya go miles without seeing a structure, yet there are continual curves. I love Oregon, its our government I can't take. When the Rain Festival is over on this side, I'll saddle up and call your name. Incidentally, isn't it locally referred to as Old Cabbage Hill?
Your right again RICZ. It is always going to be Old Cabbage Hill to me. (or just the old road) Same with squaw crick, some folks want to change the name, (mostly all white people) I don't think may of the native people are offended by the name, and even if they change it, I probably won't! I'm just to old to sweat stuff like that! Look forward to the day we ride in the trees!!

·
Registered
12,320 Posts
I mentioned this earlier, but it needs repeating; Even before putting Ride-On in my E3s, I had an imbalance problem with them from the get go when doing over 70. The Ride-On helped, but didn't make it disappear. After mounting and running the Cobras to discover how smooth they ride, I'm convinced one of those E3s was flawed in some way. Prolly the front one.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts