Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Getting close to 20K on my OEM front tire & looking for recommended replacement. I definitely want something that will last up to 20K like the Dunlop. My major issue is the handling in the tar snakes, With a rider on the back, running thru the twisties on fresh tar snakes, I had my hands full....felt like I was driving on ice! :mad: My son runs a Metzler on his front & had the same experience, plus I know the Metz is not known for high mileage. I am considering going Bridgestone, based on past experience on a Jap bike, or maybe looking at the new Michelin Commander. However I have heard that the Mich is biased ply & if that is the case, I would not even consider it.
I am open to any suggestions gang. Riding a 2012 Vision.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
5,632 Posts
Getting close to 20K on my OEM front tire & looking for recommended replacement. I definitely want something that will last up to 20K like the Dunlop. My major issue is the handling in the tar snakes, With a rider on the back, running thru the twisties on fresh tar snakes, I had my hands full....felt like I was driving on ice! :mad: My son runs a Metzler on his front & had the same experience, plus I know the Metz is not known for high mileage. I am considering going Bridgestone, based on past experience on a Jap bike, or maybe looking at the new Michelin Commander. However I have heard that the Mich is biased ply & if that is the case, I would not even consider it.
I am open to any suggestions gang. Riding a 2012 Vision.

Thanks!
You should add your bike to your sig for more specific replies.

A general response is that you aren't going to find a tire that sticks on hot tar snakes. Stick your finger in freshly chewed gum and move it to the right. Your finger won't slide on the gum, if the gum is gooey, it will change forms under your finger. The same thing happens when you run over a hot tar snake.

There is plenty of internet folklore of certain brands of tires sticking on all kinds of surfaces like wet paint. Watch a motorcycle road race in the rain sometime. Those guys are using the grippiest rubber compounds known to man and they will slide right into the sand traps everytime they hit it. What are the odds we are going to do better on some tire compound that is compromise between grip and longevity?

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You should add your bike to your sig for more specific replies.

A general response is that you aren't going to find a tire that sticks on hot tar snakes. Stick your finger in freshly chewed gum and move it to the right. Your finger won't slide on the gum, if the gum is gooey, it will change forms under your finger. The same thing happens when you run over a hot tar snake.

There is plenty of internet folklore of certain brands of tires sticking on all kinds of surfaces like wet paint. Watch a motorcycle road race in the rain sometime. Those guys are using the grippiest rubber compounds known to man and they will slide right into the sand traps everytime they hit it. What are the odds we are going to do better on some tire compound that is compromise between grip and longevity?
Saddlebag, it clearly states I am on a "12 Vison in my post. Anyway, I never really thought of the tar snakes the way you describe them. Really makes a lot of since. Perhaps I should not nock the Dunlops after all.

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Get what you want

If you want the Avons go for it. I have the Avon Venoms on my XRs now. Will they last as long as the Dunlops? Hopefully, but if they do not I will probably get the Avons again. But go with the brand you want, and if they make you happy great if not, try that other brand. Good luck on those tyres!thumb up

·
Super Moderator
5,063 Posts
Just put Avon Cobras on my Vegas seems good but they always do when you replace old worn out tires with brand new ones.

·
13,231 Posts
I guess it is forbidden to post more than 1 thread? Gee, sorry.
You can post all the thread you want BUT you did ask the same question some time back

You didn't get the answer you wanted so now your posting it again.

Why did you just keep the old thread going.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
mileage = dunlops

most owners post higher miles with OE dunlops, they ride harder, especially the fattie 40 series on the hammer. many tires handle better and have lots more traction, metzlers seem to be close on longevity and handle better as reported. tires are a compromise, you get miles or smiles or somewhere in between. i went with pirelli night dragons for better ride, handling, and traction, but less wear. IMO stickier tires are SAFER due to better traction + handling, for me safety wins!!!

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Cobra

Once again I see I mention incorrect model of tyre.- Put the Avon Cobras on my XR, had the Avon Venoms on my Triumph. Good tyres either way,ha,ha. thumb up ------

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
studs yes

looks like a WRC rally tire ready to hit 90 mph bouncing off snow banks in corners, thats the best cage racing ever!!!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts