Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do you tell when your Kingpin tires are worn out. I'm not one to burn rubber just for the show. I heard today that at around 8K miles, one should consider new tires on a Kingpin. Opinions, facts?

Replacements should be Dunlops? Metzlers?

·
Registered
690 Posts
Well, here goes... On my Harleys, I never got any more than about 8000 miles per tire, and that's a rear tire. On stock Dunlops my last tire was literally falling apart at 6500 miles. I replaced with Metzeler radials and when I sold it, it had about 8000 on it, and still had some life left on it.

·
Registered
128 Posts
On the Stock Dunlops I got 13,400, front and back. I just got to the wear ribs on both. I replaced them with the same . I could have gone alittle while longer, but I do alot of 2up riding and figued better safe then sorry.

·
Premium Member
632 Posts
How do you tell when your Kingpin tires are worn out. I'm not one to burn rubber just for the show. I heard today that at around 8K miles, one should consider new tires on a Kingpin. Opinions, facts?

Replacements should be Dunlops? Metzlers?
I got about 13k out of my OEM dunlop, and about 16-17k out of the Dunlop D407s. Best tire combo on a Kingpin is the E3 front (bias) and D407 rear (bias, HD exclusive). Stay away from radials on a Kingpin.

·
13,188 Posts
Either tire you chose will last about the same.
Its up to you to make them last longer.
You have to check the air once a month. Ya they look good but with weather changes they loose air. Most guys run more air in the tires so they last longer. Buy a good tire gauge not a pencil kind there junk and no quite ones.

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
On the Stock Dunlops I got 13,400, front and back. I just got to the wear ribs on both. I replaced them with the same . I could have gone alittle while longer, but I do alot of 2up riding and figued better safe then sorry.
Are the wear ribs colored? Right down the middle?

·
Premium Member
632 Posts
Why ? What's the harm/danger ?
They weren't designed for them. Most (but not all) who have used them have developed high speed (70mph or greater) wobbles. They simply are not consistent on the KP platform. This is a WELL documented and established fact. Many many threads on this both here and other sites.....

It surprises me how frequently people start new threads on well weathered topics instead of just participating in one of the many existing ones.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I would disagree on checking tire pressure only once a month. IMO, it should be done before every ride, while the tires are cold. It takes 2 minutes max, and a lot of single-vehicle motorcycle accidents are caused by improperly inflated tires.

·
Registered
247 Posts
I would disagree on checking tire pressure only once a month. IMO, it should be done before every ride, while the tires are cold. It takes 2 minutes max, and a lot of single-vehicle motorcycle accidents are caused by improperly inflated tires.
Totally agree. On my Kingpin tour I got 13,200 miles on my rear tire. That was with my wife on the back 90% of the time. The front, not worn out but cupped so it was done also.
Tire pressure is the best way to make those tires last as long as possible. Check weekly.

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Replacing rear tire at 9200 miles. Just put on 1600 miles with two up and fully loaded. Tire tread depth was a little less than 2/32, probably 1/32. Better safe than sorry! After three rainstorms in a week of riding, hydroplaning can be a significant factor also.

·
Registered
12,298 Posts
I typically get 17K to 22K on rear Dunlops. Have over 9500 on the originals and have mucho tread left. My secret is no secret: I monitor the air every ride with a TireGard TPMS, installed Ride-On sealer/balancer AND I ride smoothly, very smoothly. I ain't slow, I just don't hammer anything...every move flows, like flying an airplane. Consequently, I get good fuel and tire mileage and the bike likes it too.

·
Registered
12,298 Posts
Whats the best tire pressure on the front and rear tires of factory kingpin tires?
Every tire mfr has a toll free customer service number. Give 'em a call and tell 'em what model tire and bike you have, how much you weigh with gear and if you take on a passenger, that weight too. I add 2 to 3 pounds above the max Vic recommends for my XR. Over the decades, I have found that Dunlops like to be pumped up to just short of the max on the sidewall for better handling and tread life. thumb up

1 - 14 of 14 Posts