Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am soliciting input on what folks here use for a tire pressure gauge. I have one i use but don't like it. I am thinking about a slimline one- without a hose. Pictures & comments would be nice

Thanks

C

·
Administrator
5,988 Posts
I am soliciting input on what folks here use for a tire pressure gauge. I have one i use but don't like it. I am thinking about a slimline one- without a hose. Pictures & comments would be nice

Thanks

C
I have tested 5 different gauges (two of mine, and three of my father's). It turned out each one gave a different reading on tire pressure, and the readings were spread across a 15 psi range. Talk about lack of precision when you're trying to keep your tires within 1-2 psi's of the recommended pressure.

It turns out pressure gauges need calibration too. Even if you did purchase the most expensive and precise gauge, as long as it's not fairly new or recently calibrated, it doesn't mean it's accurate.

One purchase made me very happy however. I've gotten the Campbell Hausfeld AC digital inflator, a 120V air pump. It has a digital reading of current tire pressure, and by turning a dial you set the desired pressure. You press the button, and in a matter of seconds your tire's ready to go. Not as loud as an air compressor, plus if the tire does need a lot of air, you can plug it in, set it, and get busy doing something else. I love it and would highly recommend it if you're willing to drop $80 for it.
045564627805.jpg

·
The Diamond
4,001 Posts
I was thinking the same thing a few weeks ago but I was looking for portable tire pressure gauges.

I have two of the pen type and they vary by 5psi on the same tire.

·
Administrator
5,988 Posts
What about the cal on it??
It has shown higher pressure than all the other 5 gauges I've tested it against. An expensive gauge was closest to it, and showed 2psi higher than the above mentioned air pump.

When they build these gauges the manufacturer follows a certain precision for each product. The higher the precision, the more expensive to produce it. The precision does not go +/- certain PSI. It only goes positive. For example, if a gauge will read pressure within 5psi precision, they will set the reading to be between 0psi and 5psi above the actual pressure. This is done to ensure you don't put more air than the maximum, but you put less (fear of a lawsuit must be the reason).

Someone posted on a forum that they had the air pump checked at a tire shop, and it was showing 1psi above the actual pressure.

I don't have more solid proof, but this was good enough for me to trust this product.

·
Administrator
5,988 Posts
I was thinking the same thing a few weeks ago but I was looking for portable tire pressure gauges.

I have two of the pen type and they vary by 5psi on the same tire.
Yes, this air pump is not portable - it's more of a garage tool. I wish I could own a pen style gauge that's precise. Btw, I do have an electronic one, pen style, and it's horrible. Don't make the mistake I made thinking that being digital display means accurate readings! :) The one that came with the XR is decent enough - I believe that was 6psi off which is not too bad considering it was free and I can have it with me all the time.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have an older (10 yrs or so) digital that reads exactly what the readout says on my vette dash inflation readings- but I cant use it on the bikes I have cause its to big / bulky-- reason I am hunting a slim line style----

Lots of good info here--Please keep the posts coming!!

·
Administrator
5,988 Posts
I have an older (10 yrs or so) digital that reads exactly what the readout says on my vette dash inflation readings- but I cant use it on the bikes I have cause its to big / bulky-- reason I am hunting a slim line style----

Lots of good info here--Please keep the posts coming!!
Having two devices read the same pressure surely does increase your odds of a correct reading. But it's possible they are both off by the same amount. Find a 3rd one, and your odds will increase once more. :D

The Accutire digital gauges seem to be as precise as you can get without spending a fortune (around $8-13 a piece) and an accuracy of 0.5psi (claimed by the manufacturer).

·
Premium Member
47 Posts
Tire Pressure gauge

Being a racer, I consider TP to be critical. I have a Longacre digital gauge, 17" hose, air pressure release button, with a swivel ball on the end. Very precise and easy to use. Bad part, pricey...$130. But I check my tires weekly and actually am surprised how much the pressure can vary, especially after just sitting for a few days.
Just my 2 cents...
http://www.longacreracing.com/catalog/item.asp?id=982&catid=8

CCvictory

Attachments

·
Administrator
5,988 Posts
... I check my tires monthly and actually am surprised how much the pressure can vary, especially after just sitting for a few days.
I sure hope you check your tires monthly on your cars, not your motorcycles.

·
Premium Member
47 Posts
I sure hope you check your tires monthly on your cars, not your motorcycles.
LOL...actually, I meant weekly and it's hourly for the race car. :)

·
Administrator
5,988 Posts
LOL...actually, I meant weekly and it's hourly for the race car. :)
Hehehe... I knew you didn't mean monthly, so I had to say something. :D

1 - 13 of 13 Posts