Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I need to get new tires and I have a question. In the manual for my bike it says that I need Dunlop 160 or for whitewalls 150. My question is what's the difference? I know the difference between 150 and 160 is the width but I mean between blackwall and whitewall. Can I use any 150 or 160 or is that only applicable for whitewalls? I'm asking because I'm trying to find the best prices on tires and I'm wondering if Pirelli 150's will work. Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
4,985 Posts
I know the load they are rated for is critical.

·
Registered
545 Posts
So I need to get new tires and I have a question. In the manual for my bike it says that I need Dunlop 160 or for whitewalls 150. My question is what's the difference? I know the difference between 150 and 160 is the width but I mean between blackwall and whitewall. Can I use any 150 or 160 or is that only applicable for whitewalls? I'm asking because I'm trying to find the best prices on tires and I'm wondering if Pirelli 150's will work. Thanks.
Whitewalls are laminated onto the tires... that's why a 150 in whitewall will measure out to be about the same as a 160 in black. I have found that Pirelli makes excellent motorcycle tires... they were one of the pioneering companies in developing multi-compound tires and are a leader in racing tires.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info. I've heard lots of good things about pirellis that's why I've been looking at buying them. But the problem is I can only find 150 for the rear wheel in pirellis with blackwalls. I don't know much about tires so I was just wondering if I can put the 150s on my rim even if the manual calls for a 160.

·
Registered
111 Posts
tires

Thanks for the info. I've heard lots of good things about pirellis that's why I've been looking at buying them. But the problem is I can only find 150 for the rear wheel in pirellis with blackwalls. I don't know much about tires so I was just wondering if I can put the 150s on my rim even if the manual calls for a 160.
gman: you probably can, it depends on your style of riding whether you would ever notice a difference. if you're like 99.5% of us, you probably won't notice. although you're talking about a slightly narrower tire all of the standard warnings apply here. always check and re-check for fitment and obstructions (rubbing etc.) before you ride it. ride safe.

·
Registered
545 Posts
As stated, you probably can... make sure that your rim width is rated for a 150 and that the tire that you get is rated for the correct weight and speed.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the answers. I'll probably just get some metzlers, I was looking hard at the pirellis because they were cheaper than the metzlers, but metzler makes a 160. I've heard lots of good things about both brands and lots of bad things about dunlops. I'm definately not getting those.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts