Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, I need to replace the tires on my 2012 Vegas and am looking for some recommendations. Right now I'm thinking of either using Avon Cobras or Shinko 777's. I've had Shinkos on my Honda, and feel like they had good performance to cost ratio, plus I can get them with white walls which I think will look sweet with the bikes paint scheme (blue and white), but am open to suggestions. Also, I had a question about weight load range. Both the Avons and the Shinkos are rated at the same 467 lbs as the stock Dunlops, but when I do the math of the bikes weight and mine 680 + 175, that only leaves me about 80 spare lbs. This would seem to preclude me from riding with any passengers, which seems strange that Victory would put OEM tires on a bike that couldn't accommodate 2 up riding considering it came with a stock passenger seat. Or am I misunderstanding tire load range limits?

·
Premium Member
6,035 Posts
Blue & White ? Like to see that ...

Andre using TaPaTaLk

·
Registered
4,067 Posts
I used Cobras for the last couple of years, they were the best performing tires I used...but Avon does not make them anymore and only a few odd sizes are available. Avon replaced them with "Cobra Chrome" which are mucho-expensive and I've read do not perform like the old Cobra.
My XC does not like bias-ply tires, I've been on a 2 week long search for decently priced radials that will work on the XC.... I ended up ordering a set of Bridgestone Exedra Max tires.
https://www.bridgestonemotorcycletires.com/en-us/all-rider-segments/cruisers-and-touring

·
Registered
812 Posts
I run the Shinko SE90 on my XCT and have been really happy with them

·
Super Moderator
6,371 Posts
I've had the E3s that the bike came with, E4's, Bridgestone Excedra G704/G709 (Goldwing tires, NOT Excedra Max), and Michelin Commander II. Out of all those, I liked the E4's the best. Just bought a set of Avon Cobra Chrome. They have a $60 rebate going on so about $350 shipped. I hear different things from different folks, but every situation is different, so I figured "why not try it?".

I also bought a set of 2008 Vision wheels (in poor shape). Going to see if I can polish the front for a shiny finish and use that. I have no idea what I am doing but I'm going to try anyway. Best way to learn, as far as I am concerned.

·
Registered
543 Posts
I highly recommend round ones.

Tire threads are a lot like oil threads, one man's junk is another man's treasure.

Oh, and just put on a set of new E4s. The OEM E3's worked fairly well and provided good wear so figured I'd give the E4s a shot.

·
Premium Member
8,735 Posts
I use Shiko 777s front and back on my Vegas with zero problems, Ill be putting them on my XC soon too
Good grip and the price is right..��

·
Registered
207 Posts
Just recently bought Shinko 777s which I have not mounted yet. Have heard good things about them. My last couple of sets on my last Kingpin were Bridgestone Excedras which were great. Was going to buy again but I found they were actually a little under the load capacity for the bike.

·
Premium Member
8,735 Posts
Just recently bought Shinko 777s which I have not mounted yet. Have heard good things about them. My last couple of sets on my last Kingpin were Bridgestone Excedras which were great. Was going to buy again but I found they were actually a little under the load capacity for the bike.
well like the OP states even the OEM tyres are under weight specs.

·
Registered
59 Posts
You can buy a tire that will work just fine that is the same, as far as rim size fit, but different diameter and width. Check the difference here - https://tiresize.com/comparison/. Be sure the tire will fit under the fender w/o rubbing.

DennisKirk, which seems to have forgotten about Victorys, has Tech folks who can tell if a tire will fit or not. # = 320.358.1914. Their tire prices are competitive and I have had good luck with their service and products.

I Like the Dunlop Elite IV. I believe the weight load range is higher on the E-IV than the Shinko. If you are buying the Shinko 777 get the Shinko 77HD. Same tread design, but more depth to the tread.

Ride safe and enjoy.

·
Premium Member
8,735 Posts
Dunlop e4

Gotta bite the bullet on a rear tyre for the XC fairly soon, its down to
A, Shinko Journey SE890 (underweight load [email protected])
B. Pirelli Night Dragon GT (also underweight at 77)
C, Dunlop E4 (Load 80)....think I'll give this one a go as they get great reviews and are on spec for weight

got a radial Shinko SE890 on the front so I'm locked into fitting a radial rear,
Anyone ridden the XC with two bias vs radial as the 777's are ok on load and price, but would they work on XC?
If so may try a pair of bias 777's next time round.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Yeah, my research on the E4 gave the same reassurances. I have been running Elite Dunlops since the 80's, with good results. Put 16K miles on an Elite rear on a 77FLH and came across a guy who had put 20K on his. He was, however, on the side of the road with a blowout. I changed my rear out a couple weeks later.

I just changed the rear Elite2 on my Gunner, at 13K miles, to an E4. There was some tread left, but I find myself being more cautious these days.

Over time I have paired brands, along with bias and radial. I have used different sizes from factory, as long as they fit and were within .5", or so, of spec. Your experience may be different, relating to your riding style.

Good luck with the E4.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Gotta bite the bullet on a rear tyre for the XC fairly soon, its down to
A, Shinko Journey SE890 (underweight load thoug[email protected])
B. Pirelli Night Dragon GT (also underweight at 77)
C, Dunlop E4 (Load 80)....think I'll give this one a go as they get great reviews and are on spec for weight
Hi MBX, I think you will like the E4. In my probably temporary return from the darkside, I have one on the back of the HardBall. It is a good handling match for the Cobra on the front, rolling into curves nicely. Not as much wet grip though, but far better than the Commander II that I used on my last very short return from the darkside, that I removed and threw away only partly worn. It was trying to kill me in the wet!
I have about 4500 kms on the E4, with only slight signs of wear. I wouldn't be surprised if it ran to 12000 kms. It's a pretty sparse tread pattern, and so a bit slippery in really sloppy mud, but thats not a problem for most people. I could razor cut it to help with that but so far have not bothered.

·
Premium Member
8,735 Posts
Hi MBX, I think you will like the E4. In my probably temporary return from the darkside, I have one on the back of the HardBall. It is a good handling match for the Cobra on the front, rolling into curves nicely. Not as much wet grip though, but far better than the Commander II that I used on my last very short return from the darkside, that I removed and threw away only partly worn. It was trying to kill me in the wet!
I have about 4500 kms on the E4, with only slight signs of wear. I wouldn't be surprised if it ran to 12000 kms. It's a pretty sparse tread pattern, and so a bit slippery in really sloppy mud, but thats not a problem for most people. I could razor cut it to help with that but so far have not bothered.
Thanks mate, thats reassuring, Ive ordered the E4, just waiting till Andrew gets a few more Dunlop orders so Im not up for freight cost of just one tyre, still got a bit left in it for dry.
If it rains I ride my Vegas.
Also today ordered some heat reflective and insulating tape to apply to the bottom of my hard bags as since I gutted them Im getting a lot of heat on the bottom of mainly the rhs bag.
So Ill remove the bags to make Andrews job of fitting the tyre easier and while theyre off insulate the bottom of them.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I’m pretty sure you’ll be happy with the E4’s.
I just had the E3’s replaced on my ‘14 Hammer with them a week ago and can already feel the improvement. Smoother ride and better handing and they do not follow the imperfections on the road the way the E3’s did. There have been reports of road noise on certain surfaces but I have not noticed anything yet. I’m not sure I could even hear it over my 106 anyway.
Ride on!

Attachments

·
Registered
71 Posts
I'm surprised you folks speak so well of the Dunlop. My M109R and my '09 Hammer both came with the Dunlop (not sure which model). I found that with the M109R, handling was awful with the Dunlop. It was wide and pretty, but exceptionally tippy when turning through an intersection due to the squarish tread profile.

I changed to the Commander II on all three of my bikes and have been satisfied. They handle much better than the OEM Dunlop and I get 12K - 16K miles, depending. Could it be that the E4 is an improvement on the Commander II?

I'm always looking for a cheaper solution without sacrificing performance or safety.

·
Premium Member
8,735 Posts
Im not a fan of excessive fat rear tyres anyway, theyre all looks over performance in my opinion.
Just scrubbing in the new E4 and it feels nice on the XC, working in combo with the Shinko radial front.
Biggest surprise was getting over 20,000 kms out of the E3 that just came off the XC, best Ive ever got out of any tyre!
And they say Ill get better out of the E4, well I will see....

1 - 18 of 18 Posts