Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Seems like I picked up a small screw in my rear tire. The tire has about 3k miles, good tread. The head of the screw is about 4mm. In the center, thick part of the tread.
Question is, would a plug type repair work on this?
Thanks.

·
Premium Member
547 Posts
Plug it and forget it. The same thing happened to me several years ago with anew tire. Zero issues with the plug. Just check the pressure routinely like you would on a normal tire.

·
13,242 Posts
dealers will not plug it.
go to auto store buy a really good kit and do it your self

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
I agree that many dealers will not plug it but most independent motorcycle shops will plug it. Best choice if you are not stuck on a trip is to use a plug (mushroom type?) on the inside of the tire. If you take the wheel off the bike and just take the wheel to them, it will be pretty cheap to dismount the tire, patch it from the inside, remount the tire, and give it back to you to remount the wheel. I would estimate $50.

G'day,

Vinish

·
Registered
632 Posts
Plug it, and add some tire sealant also... I put thousands of miles on plugged tires.... But do it right take your time and use mushroom type plugs...

·
Premium Member
539 Posts

·
Registered
1,680 Posts

·
Premium Member
94 Posts
If you are worried have an internal patch put on it. I have used plugs for years and these ar the 2 best I have found.

Monkey Grip or any of the gummy type plugs.

Tech Permacure II

·
Premium Member
6,215 Posts
Cool tread .... Thanks for the info, subscribed

·
Registered
1,680 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,215 Posts
In eighties i had a flat rear in winter with 200 kilometers an hour .on the highway in Holland at night ... I did not notice anything until 60 km/h and i tought it was ice .... Then i noticed the woble and knew it was a flat ..... So i am not worried about a plug .... Are you ??

·
13,242 Posts
Pray to God you never have a flat. If you do it will be your worst nightmare. Its like riding on ice with someone else in control.

·
Registered
1,680 Posts

·
Registered
427 Posts
I've had a few flats over the years. Never a blowout. I've used fix-a-flat, plugs and patches to get me home. All of these solutions worked. However, I always considerd them to be "limp home" solutions. Last time I picked up a screw, I brought it to my dealer to get patched and they say no patches, we recommend a tube. Well, that works! Good long term fix

·
Registered
632 Posts
If they install a tube, Then i hope they used a tube with a tube-less valve stem... A nail in a tire with a tube is an instant air loss though the tube-less valve stem opening..

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
I've ridden many miles on plugged tires without incident. I wouldn't hesitate to plug a tire; however, I would never recommend it to someone else.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts