Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So Im about to pick up a 2004 V92 TC and had question about the rear tire. I have researched and see that 130/90/16 is the new MT90/16. However on the rear tire, 160/80/16, I have had a quote of 150/80/16 after typing in my make and model online.

My question is will the 150/80/16 work or should I fork up the extra money for exact fit? Does anyone run different sizes such as 160/75/16 or any other size diff? And what changes on the bike if a different size is used? Thanks

Johnny

·
Registered
361 Posts
I always ran the stock OEM size in several different brands on my TC. I know if you want white wall you have to go with the 150's as many have done. I'm pretty conservative and never wanted to be a test pilot changing sizes and aspects of tires on my bikes-lots of stuff will fit & probably work ok.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I just put a Metzler ME880 in the 160 size on the rear of my TC. That is a standard size in that tire. I did notice that their new 888 series tire was only available in the 150 size. But that is a radial tire, I believe.

I would also think that of you ever run heavy (2-up with luggage) then you would not want to down size the rear tire.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
The 150 tire will be both narrower and shorter, but not by a lot. It'll probably make your speedo a couple MPH optimistic at highway speed. That's about the only thing I'd call an "issue."

·
Registered
30 Posts
I just put a Metzler ME880 in the 160 size on the rear of my TC. That is a standard size in that tire. I did notice that their new 888 series tire was only available in the 150 size. But that is a radial tire, I believe.

I would also think that of you ever run heavy (2-up with luggage) then you would not want to down size the rear tire.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
I'd like to thank you for this post....I'm in need of a rear tire as well and the Metzler 880 is what I've been leaning towards based on reviews I've seen regarding its long mileage life (I travel a lot for work and use the bike as much as possible)....Now that I've heard it straight from another V92TC rider, I'm definitely gonna go with it.cheers

·
Registered
361 Posts
My experience the Metzler 880 Marathons on my 2003 TC were the worst performing tires I ever mounted- I went through two rear tires in 15,000 miles-I thought maybe I got a soft one when I used one up in 7,500 and the second one did the same-all were run with 40-42 PSI for their short lives and they howled like banchees in the corners-Much prefered the Avon Venom or the OEM Dunlop at least I got 10-11K out of them. Maybe they're different now?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts