Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well now that I have my XCT, I am wondering what would be a good set of tires for it. The stock tires seem to be handling well but have the rest of you found some better handling, good mileage tires that you might be able to suggest?
Not looking to change the tire size just wondering what choices that I have on replacing the stock tires when I do wear them originals out.
Mikey

·
Registered
7 Posts
Stay away from Bridgestone's, the ones made for Honda Gold Wing that fits CC also. They only gave me 8K on rear and 12K on the front. Took a trip to Alaska from Ohio and had to put a rear tire on in Seattle. If I would of had Dunlops E3's on instead of Stones put on I would of made it home with out a tire change. I also had a compressor with me on the trip and checked the pressure regularly.

·
Premium Member
1,868 Posts
My CCT has 14,500 miles on it and my oem Dunlap E3's look good for another several thousand miles. Dunlap now makes a new model E3 designated E3 MT which stands for Multi Tread. The center has a hard compound for long wear and the sides are softer for better grip.

You'll get more opinions about tires than you could hope to sort out.

·
Premium Member
4,178 Posts

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Yep, My next tire will be AVON.

·
Registered
704 Posts
My XCT had 14K miles on the original rubber E3's. I'm going to try the Commander II's in a couple of months. The Dunlops and cupping pretty bad now and I've always had the tires at 42/40. I got good life out of them but figured I'd try the Commander II's since I've heard the claims of double the mileage.

Also the Commander II's rear tire is a 180/65/16 instead of 180/60/16, slightly taller. It's a tight fit but fit it does. This should put my speedo right on the money as when my E3's were new 75mph was 73mph on my GPS. They are a bias instead of Radial but I've heard nothing but good things on their ride quality.

I'm hoping to hear from some more Michelin Commander II's XCT riders out there.

·
Premium Member
4,178 Posts
Dunlops run small, all you need is a good tire brand and your speedo will be closer, my avon was like 1" or better taller then my bumflop and its the same size.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Premium Member
2,372 Posts
I've only had 2 issues with stock Dunlops. Both were in mud in my driveway when I failed to pay attention. I still prefer a ct on the rear though. Currently running a Dunlop Winter Sport Radial MT run on flat in 195-55. It is a little wide for a CT.

·
Registered
704 Posts
Can anyone give me a good assessment on the Avon cobra V72 in 180/60/16 radial as far as mileage is concern? I know Dunlop's run small so the Avon might be a good alternative unless 10K miles is all I can expect.

·
Premium Member
4,178 Posts
Wish i could but ive only got 5,000 miles on mine, but for the improvement in especially wet traction and road feel its well worth it. The price was good, and for the hour it took me to change it out i will be running avons till something else better comes along.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Premium Member
1,018 Posts
Can anyone give me a good assessment on the Avon cobra V72 in 180/60/16 radial as far as mileage is concern? I know Dunlop's run small so the Avon might be a good alternative unless 10K miles is all I can expect.
10,000 on my Avon Cobras now on the 12 XC and Still looking Fine Tread Wise ..

·
Registered
65 Posts
8000 miles on stock tires, Cross Roads, frequent PSI checks, tires are shot, you guys must have some pretty nice smooth road surfaces or something.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I went with Commander II's on my last tire change

I have about 7,000 miles on them now, mostly interstate miles. They ride smooth, corner confidently, quiet -- pretty much what you want in a long-haul bike tire. I'm pretty happy with them -- paid about $350 for both.

The one thing about them is that they seem to be more sensitive than normal to losing traction on corners in wet weather. Wet road snakes, of course, are a problem with any tire but seems a little worse with these. We have a lot of mountain riding here and, when it rains, there is often water flowing over the road surface on the corners. A couple of times the front tire has slipped on those extra wet spots. I haven't gone down but it does get your attention when it happens. I didn't have these issues with the Dunlops on this bike but I want to emphasize that these issues are NOT a real problem -- you just adjust to them. I should also note that straight-line braking performance in wet weather is good.

The Dunlop E3's that came with the bike, on the other hand, had non-correctable problems. I got about 13 K out of them but they seemed to have poorer traction (all conditions) after about 5K. They still had tread when I changed them out but they were cupping pretty badly even though I had kept the tire pressure at the correct level. Overall, I felt that the tires were pretty mediocre.

So I like the Commanders but I'll still look at other options when its time to change them out. However, unless there is something else that is clearly much better, I won't mind staying with Commanders for another set.

·
Registered
848 Posts
Well now that I have my XCT, I am wondering what would be a good set of tires for it. The stock tires seem to be handling well but have the rest of you found some better handling, good mileage tires that you might be able to suggest?
Not looking to change the tire size just wondering what choices that I have on replacing the stock tires when I do wear them originals out.
Mikey
Avon Cobra, buy them from Wing Stuff, ( tires are the same size as the 1800 Gold Wing)

$400.00 for the pair about, handling is amazing compared to the OEM rubber.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts