Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an XR and rode in the rain for the first time.
I was very paranoid of traction issues on sharp corners.
With E3 tires, was I justified worrying about traction in the rain? :confused:

·
Premium Member
5,632 Posts
I have an XR and rode in the rain for the first time.
I was very paranoid of traction issues on sharp corners.
With E3 tires, was I justified worrying about traction in the rain? :confused:
I've ridden a lot with them in the rain. Even chased down a guy on a ZX14 on twisty West Virginny roads and I had my wife on the back (maybe that helped?). He was running a pretty decent pace and we followed him for probably 50 miles or more on the drenched backroads.

That said, I've felt them step out a little a time or two in the wet as well. Probably encountered a little oil film.

But to answer your question, yes, you probably should be a little paranoid. No tire is going to have as much traction in the rain as it has in the dry. But there is no need to run and hide under a bridge, just keep your inputs smooth and moderate your pace a bit and you'll be fine. E3's are great buns. thumb up

·
Registered
545 Posts
If you have difficulty "feeling" your road grip in the rain... then yes be overly cautious, especially with the added weight of a passenger. While it's a good idea to slow down in rainy conditions, it's not the tires that will fail you... but you that may fail the tires.

·
Registered
784 Posts
I find the E3 a bit concerning in the rain, not terrible, not great. Best advice,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Slow down, ride smooth, don't make sudden moves. (braking, throttling, manouvering)

Some folks ride harder than others, some feel the road better, some hear what the bike is telling tham better. How do you stack up? Be honest with yourself.

Rain isn't a show stopper. Just slow down and learn your comfort zone. Ride within your and your bikes limits, relax and go.

Cheers

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
Where I live I am usually always riding on curvy roads and have done it in the rain a few times now on my XR and it does alright but not great compared to my last bike that was smaller and had Metzlers on it. One thing I have run into is my bike feeling like it is slipping on dry roads going into curves. It does not do it all the time and I am not sure if the rear is really slipping or if it is the weight transferring or something but I don't like it. It usually happens when midway into the lean and I am not leaned so far that I am scraping anything. I am hoping that it was just the tire not really worn that much on the outside edges and they may be a little bit more slick but not sure.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Just be easy on the throttle coming out of the turn...doesn't take much to break that back tire loose.

I actually have more trouble with tar snakes than water on the road. If I come in a corner hot and hit a tar snake, my nose likes to slide a hair back to the outside. That'll make ya bum pucker.

·
Super Moderator
6,383 Posts
If I come in a corner hot and hit a tar snake, my nose likes to slide a hair back to the outside. That'll make ya bum pucker.
True story.

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
Just be easy on the throttle coming out of the turn...doesn't take much to break that back tire loose.

I actually have more trouble with tar snakes than water on the road. If I come in a corner hot and hit a tar snake, my nose likes to slide a hair back to the outside. That'll make ya bum pucker.
It happens when going into a curve and before I start giving it much throttle. I rode the bike pretty hard in the twisties over the weekend and the problem seems to have gotten better. I am not as an experienced rider as alot are on this forum, just 5 years and 20,000 miles and 2 motorcycles and most of those miles have been on curvy roads. Don't know why it does it but I once thought it was the belt being to tight or loose but I have checked the deflection twice so far this year (not including the original adjustment at 500 miles) and it is within specs.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
It happens when going into a curve and before I start giving it much throttle. I rode the bike pretty hard in the twisties over the weekend and the problem seems to have gotten better. I am not as an experienced rider as alot are on this forum, just 5 years and 20,000 miles and 2 motorcycles and most of those miles have been on curvy roads. Don't know why it does it but I once thought it was the belt being to tight or loose but I have checked the deflection twice so far this year (not including the original adjustment at 500 miles) and it is within specs.
Never noticed that on my XR...back tire always feels really planted on my bike. The Dunlops have always felt pretty solid in the corners, if not so good under hard braking. Maybe something about the frame geometry and its difference from your last bike creates the illusion that the back end is stepping out? I dunno, man.

·
Registered
329 Posts
One other thing to consider is when it started raining, how long since the last rain, and home much traffic usually travels on the road, the condition of your tires, the temperature, etc. Riding in the rain isn't a big deal you just have to think about the all of the conditions and determine what effect it may have on your traction.

If you're riding somewhere like downtown that has a lot of traffic and therefore road grime it gets slick as snot when it first starts raining so you have to be extra careful. If it has been raining for a while and your on a road that isn't so well traveled then it isn't that much of a big deal. It's like Howard said, you just have to "feel" it. But I find that typically you have more traction than you think you do.

If you're like me right now and riding around on tires with almost 19k miles on them with a completely bald rear tire then it probably isn't safe anymore and you shouldn't be riding much in the rain. :)

·
Premium Member
5,632 Posts
Wet traction is better than you think.
Not sure that that video demonstrates your point. But anyway, racers use special tires (loaded with silica if memory serves) for wet racing. They don't last for **** once it dries up a little. Thus, making such a tire for street bikes isn't practical, though our tires have silica in them too.

As an aside, why the hell did Speed drop WSBK this year?! :mad:

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Rain

In my case I wasn't on it as much as the video.....
I did notice him loosing and regaining traction several times, this was obviously not his first rain ride.....
I went west on 129 from deals gap to Foothills Parkway then to Old 73 scenic to Gatlinburg. It was raining pretty good but I didn't loose traction at all, only cautious since it was my first hard rain ride.
But all was good and I stayed dry and comfortable.

·
Premium Member
5,632 Posts
In my case I wasn't on it as much as the video.....
I did notice him loosing and regaining traction several times, this was obviously not his first rain ride.....
The racer had more talent than traction. Don't try this at home...

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
Don't like E3s when it's really cold, hot or wet. As soon as new bike needs rubber on go Metzs. Just my personal but on a cold morning, say about 35 I rode for quite a distant, goosed it in a corner thinking the E 3s were warm. Ass end went crazy. Not a fan

1 - 15 of 15 Posts