Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,875 Posts
I use the Bridgestone G-850/G-851 Z-rated radial tires and the rear lasts about 9000 miles, 2 rears to a front.

Fuel mileage here at home averages around 45 mpg now. Just got back from 4 days in the mountains and low was 44--- high was 52--- average for the trip was 48.7 mpg.

·
13,002 Posts
40 psi per tire and around 14 thousand miles. But then the only way you can get life out of your tires is check air once a month.
Now mileage is all up to you if you fast start from ever light and race to ever stop then your not going to get good mileage. If you stay under 65 you might get low 40's per gallon and if you ride a lot over 70mph then less.
We all ride different so you can't ask what we get its all up to you.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I average 44 mixed hwy and backroads and I ride around 65-70 on the super slab. I average 200-217 miles per tank. I have 11,000 miles on OEM tires and the tread still looks almost new

·
Registered
149 Posts
My experience leads to checking tire pressures every 2 days. Last trip
A couple of weeks ago, saw up to 2 lbs loss of pressure at any one time
Out of my CCTV or my buds Ultra Classic. Every 2 days has become our mantra. Jim

·
Premium Member
4,875 Posts
mileage is all up to you if you fast start from ever light and race to ever stop then your not going to get good mileage. If you stay under 65 you might get low 40's per gallon and if you ride a lot over 70mph then less.
Is that right? Hell, I should be getting 20 mpg then...

Truth be told I get the best mileage between 75 and 80 mph. I never use 6th gear until above 65 mph. I don't baby this bike, I RIDE it. It gets better fuel mileage now than it did stock while being geared down 7% and making 126 HP.

I rode with 15 other bikes for the last 4 days (mostly Harleys) and I got the 2nd best mileage in the group. The best was another hi-po Kingpin...

·
Registered
203 Posts
HC, your mileage is incredible. I have to be doing something wrong or my bike isn't tuned exactly right. I think my bike is running on the rich side. When I hit it hard, I get a quick puff of black smoke but it still tries to throw me off backwards. If I stay out of it I can get maybe 41 mpg. When I'm hittin' it maybe 37-38 mpg. I do seem to drive more in 4th gear with the O/D pulley. Maybe that's killing my mileage??

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
I average right at 44.5MPG rain, shine, short run or long run. Only difference is if I am "pushing it" up the mountains. No point in counting calories when your burning up the chocolate ribbons of asphalt trying to claw your way to the top quicker than the H-D riders behind you now is there?

·
Registered
383 Posts
MPG is subjective to the mods you have on the bike and how you ride it. Stock is above 44 mpg while stage 1 is 38-44 mpg, dpends on your climate. Being in the flat lands of Illinois I had an average of 40mpg. I now am running VM1 cams, opens intake, VFCIII fuel controller, and a custom 2.5 inch exhaust. Depending on how I tune it and run it I get around 40 mpg. I flog the thing for all it's worth too.

Tires are just as subjective. I got 12k on the rear and 14k on the front.

·
Premium Member
2,357 Posts
I generally get 42 around town, 44-46 on the highway with a cruise speed of 65-70.
I got 17,000 out of my original front. I replaced the rear at 9,000 with a car tire. it has 12,000 on it now(21,000 total), still looks new.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I ride a lot of 2 up and pull a trailer for small trips, and I get 10,000 to 12,000 on the rear. The front looks OK and is good for 5,000 before it gets to choppy. I will change both when the rear tells me at the wear bars and avoid the stress invloved in my worring about my tires. I run the stock Dunlops. I have not seen anything about other brands that would improve tire mileage enough to change brands. At $380 a set (I change and balance my own) and if tire prices keep going up may concider a CT.

Buster
Victory Vision Tour

·
Premium Member
4,875 Posts
HC, your mileage is incredible. I have to be doing something wrong or my bike isn't tuned exactly right. I think my bike is running on the rich side. When I hit it hard, I get a quick puff of black smoke but it still tries to throw me off backwards. If I stay out of it I can get maybe 41 mpg. When I'm hittin' it maybe 37-38 mpg. I do seem to drive more in 4th gear with the O/D pulley. Maybe that's killing my mileage??
With a big motor/big power when you're cruising at like 70, the throttles are barely open. Uphill holding speed or even accelerating require very little extra input at the throttle. When a little throttle goes a long way, that's when mileage is good. Your motor is stout so if it's tuned well it should do well in normal riding.

Sometimes running it lean makes it worse. It needs to be where it's most efficient. I know I do better with a little more RPM, so maybe it's because the cams are more efficient after 2500. I can't really say for sure, but being able to go 180 miles before worrying about fuel is nice on a bike with only a 4.5 gallon fuel tank. I definitely don't ride with fuel economy in mind either... However it doesn't take much to move the bike around with authority... I know you understand what I mean there.

·
Registered
12,202 Posts
Two tips for good gas and tire mileage: 1. Be smooth, so smooth that a passenger would not feel you shift, accelerating or braking and 2. Be a tire pressure Nazi - check often and keep the PSI up at the higher recommended pressures. This has gotten me up to 22,000 on a rear E3 (not my XR though)...that still has the originals. Gas is 47 highway.

·
Registered
16 Posts
uh, you guys talk about when you're not getting into it hard......how does that happen? i have a zach ness vegas with an rpw big slash and i simply cant ride this bike any other way than hard. believe me when i tell you it is impossible to not hammer down on the throttle all the freakin time. the sound is amazing from that pipe. i honestly try to grandma it sometimes, but an acoustical wave from the pipe triggers a neuron in my brain which in turn triggers a muscle in my wrist causing an immediate roll on the throttle. even tried earplugs, doesnt matter. the only thing that seems to suppress this neurological problem is having a red light or car in front of me. guess im destined for high 30s mpg. oh well.

·
Premium Member
4,875 Posts
believe me when i tell you it is impossible to not hammer down on the throttle all the freakin time.
And believe me when I tell you... once you get up near that 120 HP level, you CAN'T ride like that any more. You can only get in the throttle for short bursts because the bike eats up distance at an alarming rate.

·
Registered
810 Posts
uh, you guys talk about when you're not getting into it hard......how does that happen? i have a zach ness vegas with an rpw big slash and i simply cant ride this bike any other way than hard. believe me when i tell you it is impossible to not hammer down on the throttle all the freakin time. the sound is amazing from that pipe. i honestly try to grandma it sometimes, but an acoustical wave from the pipe triggers a neuron in my brain which in turn triggers a muscle in my wrist causing an immediate roll on the throttle. even tried earplugs, doesnt matter. the only thing that seems to suppress this neurological problem is having a red light or car in front of me. guess im destined for high 30s mpg. oh well.
The problems of modern day life, huh?

:ltr:cheers:ltr:

1 - 20 of 46 Posts