Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all , I'm in need of some new skins over the winter . I was wondering if anyone has tried these on their cross bike and if you did , how is the performance ? I looked through some of the tire threads and doesn't look like anyone has run these ... I'm also open to any and all suggestions on other brands / models . Thanks for any input .

GL1800 Two Tire Set 130 70 18 180 60 16 Radial Bridgestone Motorcycle Tires | eBay

·
Super Moderator
6,371 Posts
I ran these on my GL1800 for 2-3 sets. I had a couple sets of these tires on my XCT (G704 and G709). Great tire. I still have the front one on. If you keep them aired up properly, they should be fairly decent. They don't have the load capacity of the Dunflop E3s however.

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
I'm on my 3rd set...and 4th rear tire. Rear tire gets anywhere from 8500 miles to about 11,000 miles...at least on my bike. My present rear tire is about 9600 and I have about 500-1000 miles left on it. The front...14-18,000 miles.

By the way...you can get that tire combo cheaper at some of the online stores. I think they are great tires...but I do use a TPMS and my tires are always inflated properly.

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the links guys , I did notice when I typed in my bike info it said these tires aren't compatible with my bike , seemed strange since they are the identical sized tires my bike takes ....:crzy: Anther member here recommended the Avons , I got 18,000 out of the Dunlops but want something a little stickier this go around .

·
Registered
4,067 Posts
After running the Commander IIs for 11k I'm making sure my next set is going to be the correct size and radials. I want Metzler ME 888's but the radial version is hard to find, so when buying time comes I'll go with the Bridgestone Exedra's if 888 radials aren't available.

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
I am going to give the Avons a try or maybe the Metz, going to wait till early spring to buy mine though.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Bridgestones

I only ran the Bridgestones on my Wing after the stock Dunflops wore out. The Bridgestones are a great tire, IMO. Never liked the way the Dunflops felt or looked after getting some miles on them...no different on the Victory. For me, the Bridgestone wear range was the same as arkiebiker from 8500 to 11000 miles, depending on how I rode. Never had an issue with them. Well.....I did have one issue but, that was my fault. Overloaded the bike w/ passenger, hitch rack and gear for a long ride to Kansas. Had to replace the back tire due to wear when I got to my destination....unknowingly ran it underinflated. :( Replaced tire at destination and rode back to GA...with a properly inflated tire. No issues. Looking back, if that Bridgestone held up to what I put it through on that trip, it's good enough for me. My next set of tires will be Bridgestones.

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
I switched to Avon Cobras (on the third rear now, second front) after going through the stock Dunlops. I like them, and think they're a good compromise between handling and wear (and the load rating is up there). So I'm not looking to change from them.

I also ran Avon Venoms on my Valkyrie, FWIW. And settled on some Avon model on my R850R BMW (and on that bike, I also tried Michelin and Metzler).

·
Registered
230 Posts
Just put a rear on. So I can't say much about how well they do. After all I went from a worn out E3 to these so yeah it felt better but than again any new tire would fell better than what I was running. The load rating is less on the stones is why they claim not to be for the Xbikes. I don't have the truck and not worried about reaching the max load rating anyhow. I bought a complete set when they went on sale from wingstuff .com At the time I got free shipping and a 50 dollar rebate. Checked the date code when they got here and both were less than 4 months old. Not much help just my input

Bridgestone Tire COMBO for GL1800 - Honda Gold Wing Parts & Accessories by WingStuff.com

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So the reason they aren't compatible is just the load rating ? Thats not really an issue for me i don't think ....I may give these a go , seems like not a lot of options out there for our bikes ....

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
tyre manufacturers are very cautious with fitments, anything less than a perfect match + it will not show. a little common sense checking the specs will insure that many more safe options are available whether looking for performance or mileage

·
Premium Member
94 Posts
9 times out of 10 Jake Wilson has the best prices with free shipping.

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
Load rating is all that I have found. From what I have read on here, and if I am wrong please correct me, but the E3 is the only one with the high load rating.
Glad to correct this. The E3s and the Cobras have the same rating, in our stock sizes: 600 lb front, 992 lb rear.

If you go to High-Performance Dunlop Motorcycle Tires , you can see -- the right-most column -- that the 130/70R18 E3 has a 600 lb rating (at 41 PSI) and the 180/60R16 has a 992 max load (also at 41 PSI).

Checking on the Cobras is a little more complicated, and I can't provide one direct link, because the URLs don't change per page at Avon.

Go to Avon Motorcycle Tyres North America , and then over on the right side fill out the successive drop-down choices for the Tire Fitment Chart. You should wind up on a page that lists just the two Cobras, i.e., in our stock sizes, with this information at the start of each line:

Cobra Front 90000001167 130/70R18 63H
Cobra Rear 90000001418 180/60R16* 80H

The decoding part is simpler: just open a tab at Avon Motorcycle Tyres North America » Load Index and Speed Rating Symbols , Avon's Load Index and Speed Rating Symbols page. There, in that chart you will see that their "63" is a 600 lb rating, and their "80" is 992 lb.

Incidentally, the earlier Avon fitment page lists the front pressure at 36 PSI and the rear at 42, so presumably those are the max load pressures. That is, Avon doesn't explicitly say that, the way Dunlop does (41 and 41).

FWIW, I try to keep (I have a TPMS) my Cobras at 40F/42R, i.e., higher than that spec. I could've sworn that I've found a higher recommendation -- 38 or 40 -- for that front, somewhere else on Avon's site, but I can't find it now.

·
Registered
4,067 Posts
Glad to correct this. The E3s and the Cobras have the same rating, in our stock sizes: 600 lb front, 992 lb rear.

If you go to High-Performance Dunlop Motorcycle Tires , you can see -- the right-most column -- that the 130/70R18 E3 has a 600 lb rating (at 41 PSI) and the 180/60R16 has a 992 max load (also at 41 PSI).

Checking on the Cobras is a little more complicated, and I can't provide one direct link, because the URLs don't change per page at Avon.

Go to Avon Motorcycle Tyres North America , and then over on the right side fill out the successive drop-down choices for the Tire Fitment Chart. You should wind up on a page that lists just the two Cobras, i.e., in our stock sizes, with this information at the start of each line:

Cobra Front 90000001167 130/70R18 63H
Cobra Rear 90000001418 180/60R16* 80H

The decoding part is simpler: just open a tab at Avon Motorcycle Tyres North America » Load Index and Speed Rating Symbols , Avon's Load Index and Speed Rating Symbols page. There, in that chart you will see that their "63" is a 600 lb rating, and their "80" is 992 lb.

Incidentally, the earlier Avon fitment page lists the front pressure at 36 PSI and the rear at 42, so presumably those are the max load pressures. That is, Avon doesn't explicitly say that, the way Dunlop does (41 and 41).

FWIW, I try to keep (I have a TPMS) my Cobras at 40F/42R, i.e., higher than that spec. I could've sworn that I've found a higher recommendation -- 38 or 40 -- for that front, somewhere else on Avon's site, but I can't find it now.
You talked me into the Avon Cobras Bill....

·
Premium Member
1,250 Posts
bill
the load rating on tne avon cobra for the 180/60 16 is a 74 from the sites i saw.

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
bill
the load rating on tne avon cobra for the 180/60 16 is a 74 from the sites i saw.
Jim, you have a link? I'm not being a smartass, just curious, because the links I gave are straight from Avon.

1) Go to Avon Motorcycle Tyres North America
2) Select Victory in the Tire Fitment Chart drop-down list; it's on the right side of the page, a little ways down.
3) Wait a second or two, for a new page to load.
4) Click on the link on the bottom, where it says Vision Street / Ness / Tour / Cross Roads / Cross Country / Hard-Ball.

You should now be looking at a page that shows our front and rear tires. I've done a screen grab of that information, and attached it here.

Of interest is the column labeled Service Index, and you'll see two values there: 63H and 80H.

5) Go to Avon Motorcycle Tyres North America » Load Index and Speed Rating Symbols

What you're looking for on that page -- unless I completely misunderstand it -- is the information for 63 and 80. I've taken a screen grab of that page, too, and attached it.

I've highlighted that 80 trio: "80 450 992" (992 being the same thing as 450 kilograms), and you can also find the 63 info two columns to the left of that.

So, I give up on the 74, i.e., I don't know where you're getting that. I mean, they may make a tire with that load rating, but it isn't their Cobra model in our stock 180/60R16 rear size.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 43 Posts