Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I am in need of a new set of tires and am planning on getting Shinkos. I remember reading on here that Pain just got some SE890s and was curious about road feel from him or anyone else that runs them. I was thinking about the 777s but was curious if there are any clearance issues even though they are just a little taller. Thanks

·
Premium Member
6,230 Posts
@Motorbikerx have or had shinkos, i hear good things about them

Andre using TaPaTaLk

·
Premium Member
1,872 Posts
For your CCT?

Front: Dunlop RoadSmart II 160/60 MT rear tire on the front, good for over 30K miles. Yes, over 30K miles. Run it against the arrow, turned 'backwards', air set to 39psi.

Rear: Dunlop 195/55 Winter Sport 3D Runflat car tire on the back and you'll be good for about 25K miles, air set to 37psi.

Nuff Said

·
Premium Member
8,992 Posts
Yeah just threw a set of 777 bias on the Vegas,
Vegas has XC front wheel 130 70 18.....
And a Shinko SE 890 JOURNEY on the front of the XC , still tryna wear out the E3 on rear, and then Ill go to a SE890 Journey on the back as well.
Very happy with the 777's my Vegas has used up in the past, got 14,000 Aussie kms out of the last front , so USA riders should be able to at least double that with your smooth roads and laid back style.
Front Shinko Journey feels great!.but dont all new tyres!....long term test coming up..
My tyre man Andrew at Gold Coast Motorcycle
Tyres always gives me great deals on tyres..
so he should I buy so many and send others there?

Reactions: BP6666VR

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
I wouldnt run the 890's, the load rating is below what is recommended. I have a 777 on mine now and am looking to change and try something else. Current mile about 8k Still got some miles left in it, but we have a trip planned in Oct and I dont like to start out on a just mounted tire.

·
Registered
4,091 Posts
I LOVE the SE890 Journeys....They are quiet, smooth and handle just as well as the Cobras did. My XC handles so much better on the radials SE890's than it did on the bias-ply Shinko 777 or the bias Avon Cobra I put on by accident.
Now let's see how they last......for some reason I'm not at all concerned that mileage will be a problem with these tires.

Reactions: Motorbikerx

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
I have run a couple different variances of Shinkos on a couple bikes. For the money I think the mileage is fair. Usually about 8k or so. So far dang it, just figures out I have to change a bit early for our trip to NC. Still miles left on tires, but I dont want to be on a 600+ mile trip on almost done tires.

Reactions: Motorbikerx

·
Premium Member
8,992 Posts
I LOVE the SE890 Journeys....They are quite, smooth and handle just as well as the Cobras did. My XC handles so much better on the radials SE890's than it did on the bias-ply Shinko 777 or the bias Avon Cobra I put on by accident.
Now let's see how they last......for some reason I'm not at all concerned that mileage will be a problem with these tires.
whats your defenition of 'handling'

·
Premium Member
8,992 Posts
I wouldnt run the 890's, the load rating is below what is recommended. I have a 777 on mine now and am looking to change and try something else. Current mile about 8k Still got some miles left in it, but we have a trip planned in Oct and I dont like to start out on a just mounted tire.
ok @djh3 load ratings SE 890
F63 272kgs 600lbs...XCs GAWR 460lbs
R74 375kgs 827lbs...XCs GAWR 900lbs

XC wet weight 800lbs 363 kgs
I weight 100 kgs with gear so 463kgs
leaves me 184 kgs for pillion and gear
load limit for saddlebags 11.3 x2= 22.6kgs
No pillions over 161kgs is fine by me��

Wet weather confidence over E3s is well worth not hauling as much weight in my book anyway.

·
Registered
4,091 Posts
whats your defenition of 'handling'
I'm not sure how to answer this... :| I guess its the feel(feedback) and plantedness of the bike when leaning and transitioning at speed as well as how behaved the bike is at low-speed maneuvering. Which I give the SE890 Journeys a solid A at ;)

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Ordered a Shinko 733 front and a Continental Conti Tour for the rear. Front is here, rear next week sometime I supose.

·
Registered
208 Posts
I just put a set of 777s on my Kingpin. I am happy with them so far, just can't vouch for mileage. If what some of the others say hold true about getting only 8000 mi I will be looking elsewhere even though they are low priced. You may try looking at the Bridgestone Excedra's. The only issue you may find is the load rating. Had 2 sets on my last bike and loved them but found that the load rating was a little under specs for the bike. I'm thinking I just might go back to them as I ride 1up.

·
Super Moderator
6,382 Posts
I'm not sure how to answer this... :| I guess its the feel(feedback) and plantedness of the bike when leaning and transitioning at speed as well as how behaved the bike is at low-speed maneuvering. Which I give the SE890 Journeys a solid A at ;)
I will add to this. I used to have the Dunlop E3 on the front and Michelin Commander II on the rear and had no real idea how bad it was handling until I put the Avon chrome tires on. The bikes entire character has changed for the better. It falls into corners now effortlessly, whereas before I had to pull the bike down or put a lot of effort in to make a turn. I didn’t realize how bad it was until I change the tires. Hi speed corners on the Thruway were very wallowy and bounced a lot. The difference in confidence is night and day.

Reactions: PaiN

·
Registered
4,091 Posts
I will add to this. I used to have the Dunlop E3 on the front and Michelin Commander II on the rear and had no real idea how bad it was handling until I put the Avon chrome tires on. The bikes entire character has changed for the better. It falls into corners now effortlessly, whereas before I had to pull the bike down or put a lot of effort in to make a turn. I didn’t realize how bad it was until I change the tires. Hi speed corners on the Thruway were very wallowy and bounced a lot. The difference in confidence is night and day.
That wallowing and heaviness is exactly what I had been bitching a fit about...From running the radial Avon Cobras previously I knew what my bike was capable of, how it should feel and handle. All I can say is if you don't have the "right tires" on your XC you're missing much performance....I'm sure glad to have it back.

Reactions: broggyr

·
Registered
239 Posts
I'll be going to the Cobra Chromes when I am at my next tire change on both bikes, which at this rate will be another couple of years ..

·
Registered
798 Posts
That wallowing and heaviness is exactly what I had been bitching a fit about...From running the radial Avon Cobras previously I knew what my bike was capable of, how it should feel and handle. All I can say is if you don't have the "right tires" on your XC you're missing much performance....I'm sure glad to have it back.
I'll go along with Pain and Broggy on this one...i had dunlops on mine and I didn't like the way they felt in the rain.....I put avon Cobra's on and I can't believe the difference in how the bike handles...almost time for a rear and I will go with the Chromes this time already priced them and ready to order...

Ride Safe,

Rob

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
thanks for all of the feedback everyone. This is my first vtwin even though it isn't my first big bike. I am hoping to be able to put the amount of miles on mine that depot picker has on his so I am sure that I will go through many sets of tires. However being fairly new to this bike it is great to have such a wide array of knowledge from people that actually ride and wrench on their machines and have tried so many different options available to the platform.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts