Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings, Gang.

I just turned 3K miles on my 2 month old, 2017 Cross Country. I am sad because the scoot now has 3K miles on it, and not zero. Or 1K, or even 2K. I am, however, equally happy because I have put those 3K on it. Heck, the odometer just turned 15K on my 2016 F150 in a little over a year, and I do not feel the same way about putting that many miles on my truck. I guess for me, the truck is transportation and the bike is, well, I don't know what the bike is. I just know I really enjoy throwing a leg over it when it comes time to ride.

So, what say you? How did you feel when you reached a certain number of miles on your new (or new to you) bike? Does/has the 'newness' ever wear off for you? On your bike, or any vehicle, for that matter?

Signed
Conflicted in Arizona

·
Registered
483 Posts
I bought my 13 new and I'm proud of every mile as they are all mine. I rolled over 30k awhile back.

My 08 was bought with only 12,100 and I'm not sure what it has now. I don't feel the same about those but I certainly don't mind adding them up.

My truck is a 2010 F150 and I just rolled over 24K. It pulls the boat and......that's about it. Every once in awhile it will do a truck thing but not often. It stays on the trickle charger.

My bikes are my transportation. I alternate the bikes depending on what needs I have. Basically, do I need the trunk to secure things or not. If so, I roll the 13. If not, I'll rock the 08.

Reactions: SkInM4N

·
Registered
12,330 Posts
Are you telling us you bought your bike to keep it in the garage? We buy 'em to ride 'em. If we wanted a bike that doesn't get miles, we'd have bought a Harley. :)

·
Registered
4,091 Posts
So, what say you? How did you feel when you reached a certain number of miles on your new (or new to you) bike? Does/has the 'newness' ever wear off for you? On your bike, or any vehicle, for that matter?

Signed
Conflicted in Arizona
The first few years with my XC were actually kind of rocky....It took quite a bit of time, money and frustration to get things worked out. Now 4 years and approaching 50,000 miles later I'm enjoying the bike more than I ever did. So in my case, I'm glad the 'newness" has worn off. It still feels rock solid, runs very strong and is setup exactly the way I want it, I'm looking forward to putting on these later miles.

Reactions: SkInM4N and BBob

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
To me it is a source of pride to have high miles on a motorcycle that you put on there, not a bad thing. I've had my XR for 5 years and I only have 15k miles on it and wish I had time to have put more miles on it by now. I work 50+ hours a week, have another motorcycle, an ATV I also like to ride, and other hobbies (hunting season right now) but I never go more than a week without starting my bike and taking it somewhere, no matter what the weather.

·
Registered
801 Posts
If it's at all possible...I just fall more in love with my Cross Country everytime I throw my leg over it!!

Ride Safe,

Rob

·
Registered
2010 Cross Country / stock 106 with glasspack mufflers
753 Posts
If it's at all possible...I just fall more in love with my Cross Country everytime I throw my leg over it!!

Ride Safe,

Rob

I fall MORE in love with YOUR Cross Country every time you post that picture - TASTY!!!!

·
Registered
801 Posts
8) thanks man...

Ride Safe,

Rob

·
Registered
325 Posts
Greetings, Gang.

I just turned 3K miles on my 2 month old, 2017 Cross Country. I am sad because the scoot now has 3K miles on it, and not zero. Or 1K, or even 2K. I am, however, equally happy because I have put those 3K on it. Heck, the odometer just turned 15K on my 2016 F150 in a little over a year, and I do not feel the same way about putting that many miles on my truck. I guess for me, the truck is transportation and the bike is, well, I don't know what the bike is. I just know I really enjoy throwing a leg over it when it comes time to ride.

Signed
Conflicted in Arizona
Harley and boat owners that hardly ever leave the dock - They call them OWNER's. Not riders. Another reason they call it (HOG the Harley owners club) Driveway Jewelery. I finally sold off the last of my 96 Heritage extras and the buyer was so impressed with himself that he only had 5,000 miles on his 1996 softtail... ****** P O S E R !

·
Premium Member
5,077 Posts
I average 25,000 a year so in April I added my Suzuki to help keep the miles off of the Cross Country, I think it's at 48,000 the Strom is already at 8000. I buy them as primary transportation so when they wear out I'll just replace them.

Reactions: id-man

·
Registered
2010 Cross Country / stock 106 with glasspack mufflers
753 Posts
I average 25,000 a year so in April I added my Suzuki to help keep the miles off of the Cross Country, I think it's at 48,000 the Strom is already at 8000. I buy them as primary transportation so when they wear out I'll just replace them.
Holy crap that's a LOT of riding!

·
Premium Member
1,986 Posts
I bought my truck used on 02/14/2014, and it had 23,877 on it, I ran outside to the lot and looked at it just now and I'm at 80,341. I get around and don't let the miles scare me, FYI its for sale right now too.

·
13,262 Posts
not all Hd's are garage queens. My 99 road glide had 17K on it the first year. When I sold it in 05 it had 130K on it. The only time it broke is when a clutch cable broke and left me in the middle of Kansas City. Took a shop 3/4 of a day to fix it. Not smart mechanic. The vision has 50K on it and I can tell you the bike runs better now then when it was new. Inding N is a breeze doesn't use one drop of oil.
Mileage is just away to measure pleasure

·
Registered
12,330 Posts
There a lot of success stories among Harley owners, but there are also an inordinate amount of hard luck stories. No wonder Harley is the top bike for warranty claims, both on H-D and third party warranty plans. BMW bikes are a close second. Victory is at the bottom of the list.

·
Premium Member
5,077 Posts
Holy crap that's a LOT of riding!
50 mile daily work commute and 100 miles each way every weekend to my get away house plus once a month rides with my rider group with a couple times a year we do weekend overnight rides. It adds up fast so that's the reason for the cheap commuter Vstrom. I also do ironbutts.

My 2007 Ford Ranger just turned 65,000 miles. The truck sits on a battery tender, it has two wheels to many.

I've never understood the thinking of buying a motorcycle to let it sit. Why would you buy it?

You see so many no mile bikes that the owner "I just love this bike but..." selling it with X2$ it's value in bling crap and no miles. I know it's their money and I really don't care I just don't get it. Ride the crap out of it.

Reactions: SkInM4N and RICZ

·
Registered
350 Posts
Sad day just a few days ago when I put her to bed for the winter. After three-plus years I still feel my heart rate go up a beat or two every time I fire her up. After a couple miles my heart rate drops two or three BPM because the bike is so darn comfortable and handles like a dream. The sensation that comes from having her wheels in motion and having my knees in the breeze is medicinal. Good vibes for the soul - floss for the brain. Only managed to wrack up a scant 2000 miles this year. Some times life just gets in the way. Currently she sleeps, waiting for the big thaw of `18.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I love my Victory CCT and will have this one till one of us can't go anymore. I will never trash another brand as I have owned many brands and for the most part loved them all. A lot of guys like to talk down about Harley owners and I get that as some are arrogant jerks but the last 2 bikes I owned were Harley's and I put over a 100k on a 05 Ultra and over 70k on an 11 RGU and never had any issues with either one. Trying to get out as much as possible these days as winter is right around the corner in North Dakota.

·
Premium Member
1,906 Posts
I bought mine in July of 2016 and put 30k on it from the time that I got it until I was hit while riding it on New Year's Eve. I loved every mile I put on that bike!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
Sad day just a few days ago when I put her to bed for the winter. After three-plus years I still feel my heart rate go up a beat or two every time I fire her up. After a couple miles my heart rate drops two or three BPM because the bike is so darn comfortable and handles like a dream. The sensation that comes from having her wheels in motion and having my knees in the breeze is medicinal. Good vibes for the soul - floss for the brain. Only managed to wrack up a scant 2000 miles this year. Some times life just gets in the way. Currently she sleeps, waiting for the big thaw of `18.
Why would you put the bike to sleep so early or why even put it to sleep at all over the winter. I just looked at the avg monthly temps for willow creek ca and they are not too bad. I ride my XR year around here in NETN, well down in to the lower 30's. I just slapped on some heated grips, put the vinyl closeouts on the front bars, put on my taller windshield, and extra layers of clothes and go at it. Pretty neat being the only guy on these twisty roads on a motorcycle in the winter.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts