Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
That , is thee question ! I Blip , I Rev match , Whack the Throttle , down shift , my bike has never stalled ... Not when new , not when modified , Not Ever . I feel not at least Rev matching on downshifting is a general lack of riding knowledge , why are so many guys having this stalling issue?

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
heh ... I started a thread on another forum about the exact same thing .... what a can of worms that opened up!

The stalling or engine cutout (so some say) has to do with the bikes computer thinking the engine is going into a "run away" mode so it kills the fuel delivery. For some reason, this doesn't happen at speed or when in the higher gears ... mostly when downshifting either to 2nd or 1st. It did it on mine when it was new and even occasionally now (if I blip it going down to 2nd or 1st) so, I generally don't do that. I just let the bike either idle down on it's own while coming to a stop or just slowing down or I drop the gear once the rpms are low enuf or sometimes even coast with the clutch in and shift down without releasing the clutch until I'm going slow enuf.

I remember asking the dealer about this when the bike was new and he said "it should stop doing that on it's own once you get a few more miles on it and it's broken in".

·
Premium Member
63 Posts
No problems here either with blipin the go stick. I use the motor torque instead of the brakes when going in to a twisty section and let her rev. The Vision handles as good as my previous M109R and I don't have to coax her as much to dive into the apex and then transit to the next turn in the opposite direction. Shes a big girl but you wouldn't know it by her manners. Blip on and enjoy and the bike will learn your traits...

·
Premium Member
4,498 Posts
Ok so I conducted a 3 hr experiment on Thursday... Rev matching below 2200 rpm is a no go on my 13 Highball... It stumbles and stutters a bit. Trying to do it below 2000 rpm and the bike flat out dies. Prior to this experiment I had never tried blipping the throttle to downshift in that low rpm range. I ride my bike at 3000rpm and shift at 4000rpm. Anybody else wanna give this a try and see what they find? Highball has Bassani pro street turnouts and PCV, k&n filter, other than that motor is stock.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
13,231 Posts
IAV causes the popping and I think the stalling when we blip the throttle.
For me it tuck 100 miles to learn how to blip the throttle with no staling.
But I had ridden h-d's for ever and they don't have a IAV

·
Registered
784 Posts
That , is thee question ! I Blip , I Rev match , Whack the Throttle , down shift , my bike has never stalled ... Not when new , not when modified , Not Ever . I feel not at least Rev matching on downshifting is a general lack of riding knowledge , why are so many guys having this stalling issue?
That there is pretty funny.

There is a difference between "blipping" and a steady, slight increase in RPM to downshift. Neither is needed, unless you downshift at higher speeds, If you wanta do the looky, I gots me a motor sicle and want attention thing, that's fine. Oh and BTW, I really don't want to hear your pipes. Just saying.
Just be ready for the near brain dead ECM to revolt. Some have it some don't some stick with it long enough for the ECM to learn what it is, or they back off of it until it stops dieing, and say they have no problem.

As for lack of riding knowledge, well I ride with some pretty salty riders. None of us are "bikers" but seem to get down the road without drama. FWIW :ltr:

·
Premium Member
547 Posts
I would recommend rev matching unless you like having the rear tire lock up at an inopportune moment...

That being said, "blipping", while in neutral just for noise should never cause the bike to stall out. I don't personally do it but, to each their own.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
I would recommend rev matching unless you like having the rear tire lock up at an inopportune moment...
Righto! if you're running at higher speeds / revvs and you let the engine drop down to almost idle between your shift (holding the clutch in too long) and then popping it ... ya, it could do that..... but who does that??? (an inexperienced rider maybe)

·
Administrator
5,988 Posts
The stalling usually occurs if throttle is blipped while the motor is idling around 1000 RPM. If you're riding, and blipping to give a 2000ish RPM a jump to 2500-3000ish, the bilp is fine.

But if you blip while waiting at stop lights, and the bike coughs or shuts off, that's a slightly different blipping story. ;)

·
Registered
511 Posts
This is not my post, I got this from another forum and the poster stated this is from Lloydz so maybe Lloydz just might know a little something about this subject. Here is the post from the other site:

"I don't remember the exact reasoning but I was talking to Lloyd about this and it had something to do with whatever monitors the air/fuel mixture couldn't keep up."

·
Registered
90 Posts
The day I bought my boardwalk, I was riding it home and was going up a large hill. I downshifted from 4th to 3rd and when I pulled in the clutch and brought the revs up it died. This happened on a very busy road and I barely had room on the side of the road because there was a 100 foot rock wall. Not fun.

Since then it hasn't died on me, but it's hesitated a few times when I blip the throttle to downshift. And I usually shift before 2000 RPM. It will hesitate if I blip it fast, but if I do it slow enough, it's fine.

For the record, I don't blip the throttle at stop lights and such. Just to downshift.

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
That there is pretty funny.

There is a difference between "blipping" and a steady, slight increase in RPM to downshift. Neither is needed, unless you downshift at higher speeds, If you wanta do the looky, I gots me a motor sicle and want attention thing, that's fine. Oh and BTW, I really don't want to hear your pipes. Just saying.
Just be ready for the near brain dead ECM to revolt. Some have it some don't some stick with it long enough for the ECM to learn what it is, or they back off of it until it stops dieing, and say they have no problem.

As for lack of riding knowledge, well I ride with some pretty salty riders. None of us are "bikers" but seem to get down the road without drama. FWIW :ltr:
If you read my post carefully , I said I REV match , which is a steady , slight increase in RPM to downshift ... Just like you said , believe me , I covered all my bases in my original statement. Doing this provides smooth downshifting , less transmission 'clunk' and in my opinion is a tell tale sign of being "1" with your machine. No "Drama" intended !thumb up Also , do I detect some sort of "SNIDE" in your comment??? :ltr:

·
Registered
608 Posts
heh ... I started a thread on another forum about the exact same thing .... what a can of worms that opened up!

The stalling or engine cutout (so some say) has to do with the bikes computer thinking the engine is going into a "run away" mode so it kills the fuel delivery. For some reason, this doesn't happen at speed or when in the higher gears ... mostly when downshifting either to 2nd or 1st. It did it on mine when it was new and even occasionally now (if I blip it going down to 2nd or 1st) so, I generally don't do that. I just let the bike either idle down on it's own while coming to a stop or just slowing down or I drop the gear once the rpms are low enuf or sometimes even coast with the clutch in and shift down without releasing the clutch until I'm going slow enuf.

I remember asking the dealer about this when the bike was new and he said "it should stop doing that on it's own once you get a few more miles on it and it's broken in".
Where do you come up with this crap...?
There is no such thing in the Vic computer that monitors a run away condition. 100 % BS
Wack your throttle open and you will be able to bounce the rpm off the rev limiter every time.

The rev limiter is the only protection that the computer provides. End of story.
Talk about wives tails ...wtf man..

·
Premium Member
113 Posts
Blip, rev match, whatever. Mine doesn't die no matter what. I did have a problem when fairly new. The dealer replaced the clutch safety switch and all is good. It doesn't matter the rpm, the degree off the throttle twist or the gear I'm in. It doesn't die......before or after mods.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Blip, rev match, whatever. Mine doesn't die no matter what. I did have a problem when fairly new. The dealer replaced the clutch safety switch and all is good. It doesn't matter the rpm, the degree off the throttle twist or the gear I'm in. It doesn't die......before or after mods.

You just made my point , thank you ...:D

·
Registered
608 Posts

Your bike is working properly.
Any hesitation or stalling indicates a problem.

·
Registered
784 Posts
Also , do I detect some sort of "SNIDE" in your comment??? :ltr:
Naa, Just saying it isn't needed and doesn't reflect a "lacking" as you said you believe.
Snide?? I'm not sly enough to be "Snide". :ltr:

cheers

·
Registered
318 Posts
The day I bought my boardwalk, I was riding it home and was going up a large hill. I downshifted from 4th to 3rd and when I pulled in the clutch and brought the revs up it died. This happened on a very busy road and I barely had room on the side of the road because there was a 100 foot rock wall. Not fun.

Since then it hasn't died on me, but it's hesitated a few times when I blip the throttle to downshift. And I usually shift before 2000 RPM. It will hesitate if I blip it fast, but if I do it slow enough, it's fine.

For the record, I don't blip the throttle at stop lights and such. Just to downshift.
Well, I am a miserable motorcycle operator and blip at stop lights, stop signs and waiting for nuns to cross the street AND I almost always am downshifting when the motor starts to pull as I slow sometimes reving while the clutch is in because I might just be an ass hole and like to hear the roar of the engine, but my little ole' 06 Hammer with it's little ole 100 CI never hesitates, sputters and for God sake never stalls. I must conclude therefore that either I have a freak of nature Freedom engine or others simply are not tuned properly. My suggestion is to take your bikes back to the Vic dealers and not take any witch doctor advise about them magically getting better as you ride them, or that you aren't fit to operate a motorcycle or what ever they are telling you. I am truly sorry for you folks that are not getting all from your engines that I have experienced and hope that you can find a dealer who knows what day of the week it is. Good luck.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts