Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI All, So far I have done a set of D&Ds and unplugged the O2s. I have the fuel processor, cam gear, and Lloyds air filter sitting in a box (yup, been that busy this year to put them in). I was also waiting to put the parts in so I could get it Dynoed with Kyle.

Well, After doing a couple nice tours this summer (about 8k miles worth) I discovered that I can run out of power riding 2 up doing a long uphill pass. I think the cams might help me out here but I was curious about mileage. RIght now without beating on the bike i get about 43-45 mpg.

What are you guys getting for MPG with cams?

·
Premium Member
4,178 Posts
a good tune with cams you will get the same mpg. what rpms do you ride at? do you wind it up often? my typical riding i dont get above 3,000 rpms much, so after i added cams i wasnt impressed. they really wake up at around that 3,000 mark and up.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My typical riding doesnt go above 3000 also. But it does when doing serious hills, hooligan riding and passing.

·
Premium Member
4,178 Posts
My typical riding doesnt go above 3000 also. But it does when doing serious hills, hooligan riding and passing.

i would talk it over then with kyle to see what he recommends, but getting all your parts on and a good tune will be night and day to what you have now

·
Premium Member
1,872 Posts
Seriously, you're questioning if you need cams or not. I'll be glad to help you here friend. YES, get the Lloyds cams!

Lloyds DR cams, Lloyds air filter, Lloyds timing wheel (+4), Lloyds 1/4 turn throttle ring, PCV, Tri Ovals, dyno tune by Rylan Vos = +30 hp, +20 ft.lbs/torque, +3mpg, -50% felt engine heat.

Clear enough?

Reactions: 63625

·
Registered
332 Posts
Based on your riding style (around 3000 rpm) Talk to Kyle about his torque cams. They make 100ft-lb at 2300rpm and outperform Lloydz DR cams up to 4000rpm

·
13,262 Posts
wingnut

you should say what year and model you have. Add it to you signature like we all have

·
Premium Member
8,994 Posts
Cams really start honking above 4000
Yeah they do start to perform over 3000
Under 3000 my 100 cube with stock cams and torquetubes, pipes, and 4 deg. advance has a good solid 100 ft lb rising to 108 ft lb
What revs are you actually pulling when youre overtaking?
Are you willing to sacrifice grunt in the 2-3 range for 4 and up performance?
Are you living in a state where hammering along at 80mph plus is okay (wish I was)
If so hotter cams are the go!

·
Premium Member
4,498 Posts
I ride at 3000 rpm and above. What cams should I be getting? I would love some more grunt down low but really would probably be wasted on me cause I ride between 3000-5000 shifting no higher than 5500 as I feel the 106" falls on its face after 5000. It doesn't come alive till 3000 either though. That's what is confusing me about this whole damn cam business. I don't want to do this more than once.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Travis, you want and NEED the Loydz DR cams. They are perfectly suited for your riding style. And at full throttle you will bang off the 6000 rpm rev limiter in first, second, and third gear faster then you expect. Anyone who rarely goes over 3000 rpm doesn't need cams, just a good stage one.

·
Premium Member
1,872 Posts
Make sure to install the Lloyds timing gear as well. It works below 2500rpm, right where you want/need the extra torque.

In hindsight, I'd likely get the Lloyds Touring cams over the DR cams. They perform the same till around 4800 rpm. At that point the Touring cams keep making power where the DR cams have peeked.

The PCV will get you a 500 rpm higher rpm limit as well.

·
Registered
332 Posts

Need I say more? KMC Torque Cams - I am averaging 52 MPG @ 70 MPH:grin
Thank you rewind. I don't have my Dyno sheet handy, my numbers are a little bigger than yours but the curves look the same.

·
Premium Member
4,498 Posts
Make sure to install the Lloyds timing gear as well. It works below 2500rpm, right where you want/need the extra torque.

In hindsight, I'd likely get the Lloyds Touring cams over the DR cams. They perform the same till around 4800 rpm. At that point the Touring cams keep making power where the DR cams have peeked.

Thanks! Already have the timing gear but am currently running the AFR+ fuel controller. Once I get the cams I will be switching to the PCV. I only want the cams for when I am pulling away from HD buddies! Lol or any bike for that matter.

·
Premium Member
6,233 Posts
Once I get the cams I will be switching to the PCV. I only want the cams for when I am pulling away from HD buddies! Lol or any bike for that matter.
True, traffic light are a blast .... But i was not impressed as much as i wanted to be .... But all the goodies together make a better ride ....

I have no more speed goodies to buy, exept a RPM gauge is on its way ... The only thing i want to do is getting the limeter removed from gear 5 & 6 this is verry irritating pulling away from the riding group .... You actually have to watch and take care when you supposed to be concentrating on the 5 minutes of high speed ....

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
If you look at THAT dyno chart, the HP is still climbing to 5,500. I have my rev limiter bumped to 6K and have found that i ride much different after the Cam Party. I hit the rev limiter in 1, 2, and 3 quite often and never did before the mods. Run good gas and crank the ATS as high as your bike can take. My MPG went from about 50 MPG 2 up, to 38 MPG.
I enjoy every gallon burned.

·
Premium Member
216 Posts
If your worried about mileage, I would not get the cams. I do not know for sure cause its not a big deal to me but I'm not getting 45 mpg. When kevinx put them in ,before I went around the block. He said its ok to take the red needle up to 5500rpm and shift and I do just about every time I get the urge, which is quite often. To me the bike just runs better all the way thru the gears after cams. I only look at the tach anymore and crank the tunes. I guess I just like hearing my bike with the miller mufflers more than the sewing machine it use to be before the modifications. If you can swing the cams, get the ones you want, but I promise you, You will start to open your bike up more cause you will like what you feel in the seat of your pants just thru half a gear!!:smile

·
Registered
848 Posts
HI All, So far I have done a set of D&Ds and unplugged the O2s. I have the fuel processor, cam gear, and Lloyds air filter sitting in a box (yup, been that busy this year to put them in). I was also waiting to put the parts in so I could get it Dynoed with Kyle.

Well, After doing a couple nice tours this summer (about 8k miles worth) I discovered that I can run out of power riding 2 up doing a long uphill pass. I think the cams might help me out here but I was curious about mileage. RIght now without beating on the bike i get about 43-45 mpg.

What are you guys getting for MPG with cams?
KMC installed Lloydz Touring cams and then tuned.
Power:
92 torques at 2000 rpm
100 torques at 2400 rpm
118 torques at 3000 rpm

Drivability
6 to 5th downshift on some of the steeper hills two up occasionally to 4th but it has to be steep and I and going slow.

Mileage:
I am running 200 miles until the "Hey Stupid" light comes on and put in on average 5 gal of high test.

Ridability:
Install at 17k miles, 59,000 and counting not a single issue.

Cheers

1 - 19 of 19 Posts