Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

21 - 40 of 65 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,371 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
It's been in the mid 90's for a few days. But they are predicting 104 degrees Fahrenheit Sunday and 106 Monday. That's 40 and 41.4 Celsius. I had a fish fry last Saturday and it was about the hot. Three fish fryers going and it was real hot cooking. But it went well, 14 people showed up and everything was eaten.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Someone just posted on another forum a water vest thing they wear in hot riding 100 degree days. Keeps you wet.
I have one and it works great for about 30 minutes and then it is right back to riding inside a hairdryer.

·
Registered
569 Posts
A so called cold front came thru yesterday.We went from upper 90's to lower 90's. I broke out the helmet and jacket this morning! I love this bike!
I was in Savannah all last week, it was freaking miserable! And I am from Texas!

·
Premium Member
13,733 Posts
I have one and it works great for about 30 minutes and then it is right back to riding inside a hairdryer.
For those to work for any length of time they must be used with a mesh jacket.

I personally find just the mesh jacket to work just fine; even up to 126 degrees.

·
Registered
40 Posts
The oppressive heat is gone in North Georgia for now, It just rains daily. Took a chance and rode yesterday, lucked out and no rain on the way home. Trying to get as much riding time as I can get before old man Winter kicks in.

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
The oppressive heat is gone in North Georgia for now, It just rains daily. Took a chance and rode yesterday, lucked out and no rain on the way home. Trying to get as much riding time as I can get before old man Winter kicks in.
Your far enough south where you can ride year around if you really want to. I am a few hundred miles north of you and keep my Vic fired up all year.

Reactions: Chattanooga Mark

·
Premium Member
2,371 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
I hate the cold worse than the heat, not a chance I am riding when it's cold.
There was 17 of us that rode at the company I retired from. We got into a contest of who would ride in on the coldest mornings. A lot of us would ride in in the upper 20's, lower 30's. Put one morning Roy rode through the gate and it was 14 degrees Fahrenheit. We declared Roy the winner that morning and the insane competition ended. Roy and I have been friends for around 30 years and did a lot of riding together after we retired. Spent a lot of time in the Texas Hill Country and along the Texas, Mexico Border.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Was he able to start his bike at the end of the day for the ride home?

·
Premium Member
2,371 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Was he able to start his bike at the end of the day for the ride home?
Yeah it started right up. When we where on night runs we would pull our scooters in the plant. Couldn't do it on the day run.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I would have tapped out at anything below 60 degrees. I rode once when it was 34 degrees in Florida when I was a much younger man. I about froze to death.

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
So if you won't ride below 60 degrees and not when it is too hot then you are limited to a month of riding. Get you a good jacket for colder days and mesh one for the hot days and get that Vic on the road!

·
Registered
40 Posts
I would say riding weather here is mid April to mid October. I have a great riding jacket and gloves. Heat I can handle a lot better than cold. I would ride today but rain yesterday and today then clearing out.

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
It is longer than that, you can easily ride into early December here in the TN/NC/VA mountains, plenty of 70+ degree days. It is actually one of the best months to be on the road.

·
Registered
2012 Victory Cross Country Tour, Indianapolis
1,769 Posts
Hmm. Can ride to turkey day in Indiana so surely you can ride year round a bit further south. I was down in NC/TN recently. Those roads don't see ice. Beautiful highways.

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
Then you layer up and down differently. There is no way I would own a motorcycle if I couldn't or wouldn't ride it year around living in the south. I am in the minority though, usually the only guy on the road on those nice and sunny 50 degree days but that is not a bad thing!

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
Hmm. Can ride to turkey day in Indiana so surely you can ride year round a bit further south. I was down in NC/TN recently. Those roads don't see ice. Beautiful highways.
We do see plenty of ice but what may be 35 degrees and ice one day will be 70 degrees and sunny the next day.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I rode to work on Thursday and it was fantastic! The weather outlook for the next 7 days looks like great riding weather too.

21 - 40 of 65 Posts