Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
upon close inspection today, i noticed that my rubber throttle body adapters actually are cracked pretty badly on the upper side where they mount to the TB. i'd rather not pay $80 bucks for one if i can cure the problem with black RTV. has anyone else done this?

this also explains rough idle and hesitation while rolling on the throttle slowly i guess.

·
13,188 Posts
You know your going to try thr RTV so try it. In the mean time order the parts and have on hand when the RTV doesn't work out

·
Registered
12,299 Posts
VJ is right and if your dealer won't give you a 20% discount, Honda East Toledo will.

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
I suggest trying to squeeze any large cracks closed while you're putting the rtv on. I learned the had way that your engine isn't happy after sucking rtv in. Note that my experience was on a 2 stoke dirt bike and a blob of rtv jammed the reed valve open.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Even though they appear cracked (and can eventually crack through) likely it is surface cracking. If the bike isn't running funny from a vacuum leak caused by being cracked all the way through then I wouldn't worry about it and just silicone them up.

I've worked on many bikes over the years with cracked rubber intake boots like that. 95% of the time I don't replace them unless owner requested.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Even though they appear cracked (and can eventually crack through) likely it is surface cracking. If the bike isn't running funny from a vacuum leak caused by being cracked all the way through then I wouldn't worry about it and just silicone them up.

I've worked on many bikes over the years with cracked rubber intake boots like that. 95% of the time I don't replace them unless owner requested.
It stammers at idle and hesitates when slowly rolling on the throttle at cruise speed.

·
Registered
203 Posts
i'd rather not pay $80 bucks for one
$80 bucks is cheap. A cracked throttle body on a stock motor isn't great but having one on a built engine is really not great. I didn't know mine was cracked because the bike still ran pretty good. One day last summer, it scored a cylinder from running too lean. That was only a $3,500 mistake.
Don't cheap out. Replace it. thumb up

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
$80 bucks is cheap. A cracked throttle body on a stock motor isn't great but having one on a built engine is really not great. I didn't know mine was cracked because the bike still ran pretty good. One day last summer, it scored a cylinder from running too lean. That was only a $3,500 mistake.
Don't cheap out. Replace it. thumb up

I definitely know the dangers of a lean condition, but I'm confident that black RTV will repIr the issue fine.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Ah, I was thinking "cracked" like "dry clay." Like spiderweb cracking from age and heat. That's what I would call "busted."

But right on the silicone. The intake pulls so little pressure in reality that the silicone should hold. Personally, I'd replace one that's torn like that but a quick cheap silicone try can't hurt.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Im about to pull mine off and see how badly it's split.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Personally, I would go ahead and replace it. Trying to go the cheap way could end up costing a lot of money. I replaced mine not too long ago and it helped a lot

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well.... That would explain why it runs like a bag of smashed assholes.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
Way past fixing with rtv!

Looks like you'll have to buy a new throttle body adapter (pn 1253335) and a couple o-rings (pn 5412259).

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I already fixed it actually. There were no dry rots or tears in it. The rubber completely separated from the aluminum. So i cleaned and prepped both surfaces and applied high temp RTV. Then i reinstalled it onto the bike so the surface stays horizontal. This way i could set my cordless drill on it to keep steady pressure while it cures.

I'm confident that my repair will outlast the factory job.

Attachments

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
i actually havent tuned it yet. i was waiting to do that until i made sure i didnt have an intake leak. i'm just running a generic tune from their website meant for drag pipes and an S&S airbox.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Tight seal with no leaks

Attachments

1 - 17 of 17 Posts