Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, the guy that lives across the street from me has 2 hd's, and they both problems. Been in the shop often, leaks and stuff just wrong. I told him, you wouldn't have that problem with a Victory. He rolled his eyes at me, whatever then he drove off I rode off lol. I win lol
Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
837 Posts
The Harley slogan was "I would rather push my Harley than ride anything else".

The proper reply would be "I didn't know there was a choice". cheers

I used to get that all the time when I had my HDs.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I'd be curious what year/make they are as well...

Both HDs' I had ('04 Fatboy and '05 ElectraGlide) were absolutely problem free, as were the vast majority of HD bikes that friends have ridden over the years.

I proudly ride a Victory now but going with the Vision it had zero to do with the reliability (or lack thereof) compared to Harley Davidson.

/r

Allen

·
Registered
837 Posts
I owned 5 Harley's and 4 of them were problem free. It only takes 1 for me.

Can you say Magnelli Morelie. My spelling is as bad as there EFI.

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
I owned 2 different Harleys. My first was a 2010 Electra Glide Ultra. I replaced lots of electrical and electronic components on it over the 2 years that I owned it. Thank goodness it was all covered by warranty, otherwise I would be broke. The engine and transmission were rock solid. I finally traded that one for my 2011 Road Glide Ultra. In addition to ongoing electrical problems, including a complete "Turn Signal Security Module" replacement, I also experienced the dreaded 35 MPH tank thumper, where the handlebars do their best to alternately slap the tank to the left and right. I got a good grip on the bars and rode directly to the dealer to get that one fixed. As I approached my 2 year warranty expiration, I got darned serious about shedding that bike too.
About 2 weeks ago I reached agreement with my local Vic dealer and bought my 2013 Vision.
I never experienced any engine concerns with my Harleys, so a simple bike like a Sportster would have been completely trouble free, but the electrics and electronics reminded me of my experience with Triumphs in the mid 70s. I actually rewired my Triumph Trophy 500 to overcome my problems with that bike.

·
Registered
470 Posts
I owned 2 different Harleys. My first was a 2010 Electra Glide Ultra. I replaced lots of electrical and electronic components on it over the 2 years that I owned it. Thank goodness it was all covered by warranty, otherwise I would be broke. The engine and transmission were rock solid. I finally traded that one for my 2011 Road Glide Ultra. In addition to ongoing electrical problems, including a complete "Turn Signal Security Module" replacement, I also experienced the dreaded 35 MPH tank thumper, where the handlebars do their best to alternately slap the tank to the left and right. I got a good grip on the bars and rode directly to the dealer to get that one fixed. As I approached my 2 year warranty expiration, I got darned serious about shedding that bike too.
About 2 weeks ago I reached agreement with my local Vic dealer and bought my 2013 Vision.
I never experienced any engine concerns with my Harleys, so a simple bike like a Sportster would have been completely trouble free, but the electrics and electronics reminded me of my experience with Triumphs in the mid 70s. I actually rewired my Triumph Trophy 500 to overcome my problems with that bike.
I had a triumph trophy trail 500 back in the day. never had any electrical problems with it but between leaking and burning oil I needed stock in exxon to ride it. plus a friend with a Honda 350 could outrun it.

·
Registered
784 Posts
LOL

Don't get to cocky. My 12 XCT has been in the shop 10 weeks this time as of day after tomorrow. 22 weeks of the first 13 months of ownership.

Maybe I have a different definition of reliability. Hope they get it this time, they shoud the entire wiring system is supposed to be replaced and now the warranty is out.

I love it. Nicest road manners of just about anything, neutral, handles good, comfortable. Reliable? It will be a long time before it gains my trust. Hope it does.

Just saying. :(

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
LOL

Don't get to cocky. My 12 XCT has been in the shop 10 weeks this time as of day after tomorrow. 22 weeks of the first 13 months of ownership.

Maybe I have a different definition of reliability. Hope they get it this time, they shoud the entire wiring system is supposed to be replaced and now the warranty is out.

I love it. Nicest road manners of just about anything, neutral, handles good, comfortable. Reliable? It will be a long time before it gains my trust. Hope it does.

Just saying. :(
WOW, you must really have an albatross Victory there. Never heard of ANY other Victory ever having any wiring issues. Also odd that they had not found the problem in such a long time but I guess there could always be that 1-in-a-million bike. Hope they get it resolved for ya.

·
Registered
12,330 Posts
Lost, it sounds to me like you're getting what we used to call a Wall Job. They do the repair in a short time and park it next to a wall for days or weeks in order to charge you or the manufacturer more.

·
Premium Member
5,632 Posts
WOW, you must really have an albatross Victory there. Never heard of ANY other Victory ever having any wiring issues. Also odd that they had not found the problem in such a long time but I guess there could always be that 1-in-a-million bike. Hope they get it resolved for ya.
I was at the Victory shop one day and watched the mechanics disembowel a scooter because they couldn't find an electrical gremlin (yes they sold little scooters too). What a nightmare.

·
Registered
784 Posts
Well you may have not heard of it, and the dealers will say the same. I know 4 others who have had a complete wiring harness replaced in the area. 2 that have had partial harness. All X bikes all in the past year or so.
Electical grimlins are nightmares. The clutch took a few weeks too. So much for the 1-2 hour replacement they brag about.
Oh well perhaps we got a bad lot in the area. It will be nice if this is the end of it.
Cheers

·
Registered
357 Posts
My old Harley has had it problems over the past30 years that I have owned it.Factory engine lasted 20 yrs before a total rebuild with one topend and various mods.Second total rebuild lasted another 20yrs with some work in between.Just done a rebuild to last another 20yrs.
I just hope my Victory lasts the first 20 yrs thumb up

I bet one of those new Twinkie Harleys wont last as long as my old Shovelhead :D

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Your shovel is like a post and beam and a twinkie or a Vic for that matter are like a modular house.

One was way overbuilt based on tried and true BS & T methods and the other is the result of SOTA design and manufacturing techniques.

They both have advantages and disadvantages. The shovel will for the most part last forever as long as parts are available and you don't whittle away too much of it. The trade off is it's a bunch of unassociated stuff that has different wear life and reliability and over time turns into a regular game of what's next. You can play it but it requires a level of acceptance. OTOH the modern approach mass produced motorcycle will most likely act within tolerance on all systems (assuming regular maintenance) until it reaches a predetermined wear / age limit where failure, while not built in, is acceptable. That method recommends getting rid of it beforehand because once you trip that threshold all bets are off.

A post and beam will last centuries if you maintain it and address issues as they develop. A modular will give you more bang for your buck up front but after 50 years it will all turn to soup.

Fortunately for Pop I ain't got 50 left.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Your shovel is like a post and beam and a twinkie or a Vic for that matter are like a modular house.

One was way overbuilt based on tried and true BS & T methods and the other is the result of SOTA design and manufacturing techniques.

They both have advantages and disadvantages. The shovel will for the most part last forever as long as parts are available and you don't whittle away too much of it. The trade off is it's a bunch of unassociated stuff that has different wear life and reliability and over time turns into a regular game of what's next. You can play it but it requires a level of acceptance. OTOH the modern approach mass produced motorcycle will most likely act within tolerance on all systems (assuming regular maintenance) until it reaches a predetermined wear / age limit where failure, while not built in, is acceptable. That method recommends getting rid of it beforehand because once you trip that threshold all bets are off.

A post and beam will last centuries if you maintain it and address issues as they develop. A modular will give you more bang for your buck up front but after 50 years it will all turn to soup.

Fortunately for Pop I ain't got 50 left.
This is why I got me a Victory too.But what worries me is not the mechanics of the Vic lasting but the electrics being out dated and discontinued.Making it virtually a relic in another 10 yrs or so.

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
LIT, so far I feel for you. I have never heard of a Vic that had so many electrical problems. I feel like you and I exist in entirely different worlds.

·
Registered
784 Posts
LIT, so far I feel for you. I have never heard of a Vic that had so many electrical problems. I feel like you and I exist in entirely different worlds.
How so? We both like the Vic. We both enjoy riding. We both enjoy our own ride.

If I didn't see something in there I thought worth some effort, it would be gone. It may be anyway, but like I said ealier I hope not. It is one of the nicest riding bikes I have ridden. I have ridden just about all of them, owned most of them.

Sometimes great relationships start out on shakey ground. I hope this is the case but will move on if needed. Just have no idea what I would go to right now. Nothing really interests me at this point.

Cheers

·
Registered
104 Posts
Well... I am about to embark on a week long, 3000+ mile ride with three guys who are all on HD's (2012 Vrod, 2012 Dyna and 2013 Street glide) with a combined mileage of under 10K and my 2005 V92TC will have 20K by the end of the first day riding.

I certainly feel like the "weakest link" on this trip.

·
Registered
470 Posts
This is why I got me a Victory too.But what worries me is not the mechanics of the Vic lasting but the electrics being out dated and discontinued.Making it virtually a relic in another 10 yrs or so.
anything you buy will be outdated in as little as 1 or 2 years. as soon as they make a better shifting trans, bigger motor, whatever. then the old style plunges in value because everyone wants the latest and greatest.

·
Registered
336 Posts
You can see a steady incline in Harley issues since about 2010. My 2012 has had three regulators, two flashers, a shift rod strip out and is now mysteriously cutting out briefly while riding and not throwing codes....in other words as far as the dealer is concerned....it's me. Keep in mind, I have 16k on this bike and over 150k on Harley police bikes, so I think by now I have a pretty good idea of how they behave, yet I always get the dealer response of "First time we've seen that."

Out of the 12 Harleys the company I work for runs, 4 are 2010s and 3 are 2012s. 2 of the 2010s have new drive pulleys at under 40k and one of the 2012s does at 15k. All of the bikes had the regulator recall done but 5 of them had the regulator crap out on the road before Harley insituted a recall. 3 of the 2010s had bad chrome which was replaced under warranty. 3 of the 2010s had to have new wheel bearings in under 10k of riding. Everyone has replaced the flasher unit at least once or as many as four times.

Wonder why sales are down for Harley.

http://www.bikermonkey.com/2013/05/harley-davidson-killing-six-models-in-2014/

1 - 20 of 25 Posts