Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up an 03 Vegas today from a private party. When I sit the bike upright to check the oil it's at the top! Am I supposed to leave it on the side stand to check the oil or did the PO over fill it?
Thanks in advance... yes, I'm new here. lol

·
Registered
436 Posts
Oil level is checked with the bike held up not on the side stand. Sounds like someone over-filled. You can use a turkey baster to lower the level to the top mark on the dip stick.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Don't worry yourself too much. Unlike a car engine, nothing bad will happen if you have a little too much oil in there.
There was alot...lol I think the PO checked the level with it on its side stand and kept filling till it showed full. When I held it level and took the cap off oil just poured out. What a mess. It was at least clean oil... lol You buy used you take chances... if that's all that is wrong then I'll be a happy camper!

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Don't worry yourself too much. Unlike a car engine, nothing bad will happen if you have a little too much oil in there.
BTW, thanks for the reply!! That gives me peace of mind since I rode it home (about 40 miles) before I checked it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
From victory owner's manual:

Operating the engine with too much or too little oil can cause serious engine damage or seizure, which could result in loss of control and serious injury or death. Do not operate the motorcycle with the oil level above the FULL mark or below the ADD mark.

Not sure why a motorcycle would be any different than any other internal cumbustion engine as far as oil levels go.:confused:

That being said, your bike is more than likely just fine. I wouldn't make a habit of over/under filling the oil though.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
From victory owner's manual:

Operating the engine with too much or too little oil can cause serious engine damage or seizure, which could result in loss of control and serious injury or death. Do not operate the motorcycle with the oil level above the FULL mark or below the ADD mark.

Not sure why a motorcycle would be any different than any other internal cumbustion engine as far as oil levels go.:confused:

That being said, your bike is more than likely just fine. I wouldn't make a habit of over/under filling the oil though.
Oil level is fine now! The PO also had 45 psi in the front tire!!! :crzy:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts